Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2009, 08:20 AM

48 posts, read 128,982 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone... my husband's job is transferring us from Virginia to the Tampa Bay area. He'll be working in downtown Tampa (the Bank of America building I think...), and we really don't know too much about the area. We're supposed to fly down in a few weeks to check things out and look for a place to rent, but we don't even know where to start looking because we don't know enough about the area to make any informed decisions. We have a 2 year old daughter and probably will have another kid in the next year or two, so we are looking for somewhere safe and family-oriented. He doesn't want a really long commute (probably 30 minutes or so), and without knowing anything about the traffic patterns, crime, where good shopping and restaurants are, etc... it's hard for us to zero-in on any specific places we might like.

I know this is an extremely vague question since we really don't know much about the area - but does anyone have any suggestions? We've thought about renting a condo in downtown Tampa so he could walk to work and live the more "urban" life-style, but I don't know how that would work out with a 2 year old... We also like the idea of being closer to the beach, but if traffic is just too bad form St. Pete to Tampa, we'll have to look elsewhere (we like St. Pete better than Tampa, but that's just from googling both places...).

Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 09:12 AM
MT8

60 posts, read 189,410 times
Google Harbor Island. It's a bit expensive, but it has a neighborhood feel that you won't find in downtown proper and the hubby won't be far from work. He could probably take the trolley.

Old 07-09-2009, 10:20 AM

1,824 posts, read 8,388,316 times
Harbour Island would be a good spot, its central location, very quick and convenient to hubbys work, safe, new construction and mostly gated community, easy access to most of anything within the city, and as I said before, its central for you to explore places to purchase/live while you rent.

Tampa Downtown Partnership - Elevating The Potential
Harbour Island (Tampa), Florida - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-09-2009, 10:49 PM

35 posts, read 167,254 times
As far as good commutes.. I commute Apollo Beach to Downtown on the Crosstown. It's great, about 30 minutes or just under. NO traffic (cost $3/day each way) ... but it feels practically like your own private road. I like the Riverview area... there's a lot of new development here including new schools, shopping centers, soccer fields, etc. Check out Panther Trace, Summerfield, Covington Park... can buy 2,000 sf for $200k pretty easy right now (all in the 301/Big Bend area). Brandon too has a commute via the Crosstown.. but it's getting older in places, so you have to be careful (I have a nieghbor who moved bcs. there son was approached to be in a gang there).

If you want a shorter commute and have a higher budget, Hyde Park or Davis Island are good choices. Tampa is 'coming alive' for residents downtown. I only know of singles that live condos down there, but again, there's lots of private school options if you have the extra money. We;ve certainly thought about making the move there with the kids (4 & 6). There's an Aquarium that has family friendly concerts in the evenings.(I was just there today!) . there's due to be a new Children's Museum there this year... theatres (IMAX) and it's a fairly family friendly downtown. Tampa is also good for school choice (I've heard) if your not happy with the school assigned to you. I love the school my kids go to, so I haven't had to go down that road (Doby Elementary). If you do relocate.. you've got to go to Lowry Park Zoo if you have a little one. It's a FANTASTIC Zoo, especially for those under 8 or so (Wallaroo Station).

Commute from St. Pete will be 30 min at least.. but it is a beautiful commute accross the bay and I think would be worth it to live close to a swimmable beach. Apollo Beach isn't picture perfect - it's still the Bay. We have to drive almost an hour across to St. Pete or down to Bradenton to get to a beautiful beach for swimming.

If you're a baseball fan the Rays stadium is on the St.Pete side and they're doing well. It is really irritating for us who live on the Tampa side, work downtown... have to go (east) home to get the kids... go back past downtown, then across the bay to try and make a 7 pm game!

One of the worst commutes to downtown used to be New Tampa. They built a new flyway... don't know how that has helped. If you want to be bumper to bumper free.. check areas along the Crosstown, maybe the Vetrens' Expressway and of course intown you can bike or trolley. Once you're on non toll roads, particularly 275 & SR 60 traffic will be tough durring the typical rush hours.

OK, that was a lot! But if you have any questions a little more specific, I'd be glad to help if I can. The Tampa Bay Area is HUGE, I'm sure I've missed lots of other great options.

Old 07-10-2009, 01:42 PM

36 posts, read 129,189 times
I live in Gibsonton right just North of Apollo beach. I don't consider it 'family friendly' like Apollo beach or nearby Riverview, but the commute to Tampa from here is great. It's fast and I seldom have any trouble. Brandon is great to live in and it's a good family friendly area, but the traffic is a MAJOR headache there. Crime is on the rise there because it's gone from a tiny rural area to a major metropolitan contender in the past thirty years. Downtown Tampa along Channelside has seen a phenomenal shift from just plain ugly industrial to a pleasing place to enjoy and stroll and live---it's just very expensive and it's downtown living---you won't really have much of a yard if that's an issue for you.

Well. . . I'm having a brainfart of epic proportions and can't think of anything else---good luck to you.

Peace All,
the DragonLady

Old 07-10-2009, 09:41 PM

26 posts, read 79,826 times
Given that your husband will work in downtown Tampa and you have young children, I'd recommend South Tampa (33606, 33602, 33609 and 33629) including Harbor Island and Davis Island. The best schools are in the 33606 zip code (Gorrie Elementary and Plant high school). I work at UT and have lived in several places in the Tampa Bay area. I would NOT recommend Apollo Beach (as one person suggested) or New Tampa (even though it too has good schools) since the commute to both is bad and getting worse. South Tampa is popular, trendy, has good schools and access to downtown, shopping and the airport. Davis Island, in particular, has a "small town" feel with its tree lined streets and nice homes. I'd recommend renting a house on Davis Island or in South Tampa for 6-12 months to "check out" the area. The Tampa Bay housing market has really taken a hit so it should be VERY easy to find rental houses or, if you find something you like, a GREAT time to buy! Be careful and check HCPAFL.org, the property appraiser's website to see the market value of a home. Some people are still trying to get 2005/2006 prices for their homes and you don't want to overpay.

Feel free to contact me and I'll give you more info. BTW, when it comes time for college, I highly recommend the University of Tampa.

Old 07-11-2009, 05:58 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,320,794 times
I wouldn't call Lowry a "Fantastic Zoo"......after you paid to get in the park you have to keep paying to go in rides.....pretty weird and the Safari area stinks big time.....last time I was there, in May, it was very disappointing, everything looked run down and FULL of mosquito's....we got bit head to toe.......

I second South Tampa for residing because it is really close to downtown...if you can afford it, some places cost a LOT......but it is a wonderful area....

For kids entertainment we still go to Disney, can't beat that really, it is about an hour away but for kids entertainment you can't find anything better (sorry) Animal Kingdom beats any Zoo....Miami Zoo is really nice and worth a trip............and Parrot Jungle also in Miami, my kids had a blast there....

We prefer Honeymoon Island and Sand Key Park in Clearwater for a beautiful fine sand beach, Sand Key Park also has playground areas, the other side of Clearwater is very busy, lots of tourists, depends really what you like, a more quiet atmosphere or busy touristy spots........it is also VERY HARD to find parking there.......Sand Key on the other hand has a lot more parking available.....

Bottom line is that if you live in South Tampa, you will still have 30 minutes + to go to a beach...the good part is that you have A LOT of wonderful beaches to choose from.......generally you will have to get used to driving everywhere here.......if you live in ST, then you may be able to walk to good restaurants etc, however think about it his way, you won't be walking in a nice evening with 50 degrees, you will be walking in 90+ degrees on a summer night.........something to keep in mind........if hubby wants to walk to work, he will need a change of clothes.....as he will be drenched by the time here gets there...a 5, 10 minute walk.......a car (unfortunately) is a must down here.....

Old 07-12-2009, 10:21 AM

877 posts, read 1,916,749 times
Suffolkmom, welcome to Tampa. Check out South Tampa. It's close to downtown and a good area to raise children.

Old 07-19-2009, 12:38 PM

48 posts, read 128,982 times
Thanks everyone for the great responses. Sounds like Davis Island and Harbour Island is probably the places where we will start our search and go from there.

It looks like both areas have good schools, what about Tampa General Hospital? A lot of hospitals in our area now are very hit or miss...

Thanks again!

Old 07-21-2009, 10:43 PM

26 posts, read 79,826 times
Tampa General is the level 1 trauma center for Tampa. While it's good to be close to it, I'd recommend avoiding the very Northern Tip of Davis Island unless you don't mind helicopters. Harbor Island is mostly gated and more exclusive, albeit more pricey.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay