Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-09-2009, 10:46 PM

1 posts, read 2,623 times

Advertisements

I JUST signed up for this Forum, so please be nice.

I'm in a bit of a predicament about now. I moved from pretty far North all the way down to Tampa Bay, FL in with my sister back in November 2008 to get out of the homeless youth shelter and into a more stable place. But needless to say, I ended up having to move out of my sister's home and into a one-bedroom apartment just around early June for a variety of reasons. This is the first time I'm renting (I'm 18 years old... my senior class just graduated, with the exception of me), so I guess I don't have a whole lot of experience with this whole thing.

Anyways though, when I first checked this place out, everything seemed really great, regardless of whether or not the only apartment offered to me was next to a busy road. (I spent many sleepless nights searching for the right place and time was running out so I guess I got really hasty). But after my first night here, wow. Through the day and even into the night, I'm constantly hearing police, firetruck, and ambulance sirens wailing. Not only that but everything from loud bass, to verbal fighting, to gunshots right outside at 4am. The first time I heard gunfire while I was here, I called the non-emergency # for the Police Department (police were already at the scene) to ask if what I heard really was gunfire. The officer I spoke to acted like it was no big deal and even hung up on me early (I guess this sort of thing is very common in the area?). I'm from a peaceful suburban area up North so I have no idea! Ever since I got here I've always kept to myself, but that doesn't do any good anyways (some people will mock you at a distance for no reason I guess).

I hardly feel safe here and the constant noise is driving me insane. Plus, people like to look through my turned blinds and point and laugh, so I feel like my privacy is being just a "little" invaded (not to mention they leave the gates open 24/7). I'd keep the blinds closed all the time but the lights in here are so dim and my kitten likes the sunlight, so I don't know what to do.

But my main question is if there is any sort of way I can leave here as soon as possible? (My lease doesn't end until July 2010, very unfortunately and I feel like next time I step outside to get the mail, I'll have my head blown off ) And another question I have, probably more relevant to the site than the previous question, what sort of places would anybody recommend? I'm a quiet, humble artist/musician and all I want is a place that's quiet, safe, out of the city, and relaxed like myself. My money is in short supply right now (on disablilty) and the only thing I can think of to make more money right now is to do something with my art. Optionally, but, believe it or not, I'd love somewhere where there's four seasons (I miss the snow, it has high nostalgic value in my life and I've grown up with it).

I can't move back in with my sister at all (she's already headed for the mid-West) and even if she wasn't I couldn't anyway (my whole family pretty much shuns me). I don't have anyone to talk to except myself and my kitten () and I have absolutely no friends. I'd try to make some, but I'm next to terrified to talk to or initiate conversation with anyone here. I can't move back in with my Mom or Dad either because they are both dead. Is there any hope?

P.S. I apologize for posting so late (or early at that) and for writing a huge essay .

Last edited by ZeppFloyd; 07-09-2009 at 11:10 PM.. Reason: @#$%... I didn't catch the General Moving Issues section at first... how do I move this??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2009, 11:34 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,689,318 times
Your lateness is fine, it doesn't matter when you posted as long as its there no one will care, you have my deepest empathy, and you are DEFINITELY welcome here in Nebraska, and I'll see if I can get this post moved for you.

Old 07-10-2009, 06:52 AM

1,246 posts, read 4,655,639 times
You could post in the national forum. You posted in Tampa. However, reading your post, you seem you want out of Tampa. Most people will advise you on where you might move to in Tampa. I would have suggested Tampa Palms, which has section 8 housing (Compton Place Apartments). It is safe, no gunshots, very little crime (mostly car breakins from people leaving their car unlocked). You need a car however. It may not be the greatest place, but it is safe.

I would suggest posting in the national city-data forum. You would probably get better responses.

I also would suggest getting your GED. I have heard they are hard, but I wasn't sure if you planned on going back to high school. Another option is to stay here in Tampa, see if you could go to Florida Virtual School (online education) and finish your high school diploma. You probably would need to get your transcript from your last school. If you go to the website: www.flvs.net, they have a phone number that you can call to ask about getting your high school diploma.

Good luck!

Old 07-10-2009, 07:21 AM

3,928 posts, read 11,601,624 times
My first thought would be for you to read through your lease to see if you have any options for recission. Based on your post, it sounds like you just moved in. Would you please tell us the general area where you're living? This may help us guide you and also help others coming to this board for answers.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:33 AM

3,340 posts, read 9,689,318 times
Originally this was in the General Forums, but then it got moved here, while he wanted it moved to the Moving issues forum, odd.

Old 07-11-2009, 05:29 AM

216 posts, read 829,347 times
One small thing that might help is earplugs. They are cheap and every drugstore has them. It will help block out a lot of the noise.

The bigger issue isn't where to move, but if you can. Landlords who own the building/house where you live might let you out of your lease if you perhaps tell them you just lost your job and won't be able to make your rent. They probably won't want the hassle of trying to collect.

However, sometimes a management company is in charge and they are less likely to let you break the lease, but it's definitely worth trying. You would probably lose your security deposit but sometimes it's worth that.
So before figuring out where to move, find out if the landlord/managers will let you break that lease.

By the way, my first impression upon reading your posting is that this is an intelligent person, just based on your writing skills. As another responder suggested, get that GED. It should be a snap for you.

Good luck to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
View detailed profiles of: