Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 05:31 PM

1,139 posts, read 3,467,645 times

Advertisements

Newbie here. Need advise. bear with me.

I recently received a letter from one of the local Law Offices and it basically said am receiving it since am in violation of HOA law(specifically regarding the weed growth in my lawn) and need to pay $100 apart from taking care of the violation itself.

This was something out of the blue. The last 'warning' letter that I received from my HOA was in early July and most often, I tend to keep-up my lawn and make sure its weed-free.

Honest Disclosure:- There are times when I let the grass-grow and don't cut the grass for 2-3 weeks esp when its been raining on the weekends and one weekend becomes another weekend( I tend to work on the yard on weekends mostly rather than on weekdays)

I don't know if I have zealous neighbor(which maybe likely) or a zealous property manager(HOA has hired University Properties to manage the community)

The Law Offices listed several neutral mediator(s) and their hourly rate is more than the $100 am asked to pay.

Here is the listing of mediators and their hourly rate.

1. Peter Grill --> $330 an hour.
2. Brian Ross --> $220 an hour.
3. Roland Santiago --> $175 an hour.
4. Mark Shelton --> $300 an hour.
5. Christopher Shulman --> $275 an hour.

Any helpful constructive advise?

Last edited by Tampaite; 08-21-2009 at 06:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 05:45 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,215,139 times
Read your governing documents and FS 720. They have to send you a notice and then set a hearing before a covenant enforcement committee. You must be notified of the hearing and will have the opprotunity to state your case. If you are sure that they did not have a hearing, I don't think they can give it to an attorney.

I'm surprised that the fine is only $100. It can be $100 per day up to $1000 per occurance. (IE- you are fined, you cut the grass, let it get bad again and the fines start all over again- another $100 per day fine up to $1000.)

In Florida, an HOA can not lien for unpaid fines, only for unpaid assessments. If you are fined, the association would have to go to court- small claims in your case- to get a judgement against you. And if they never held a hearing before a CEC, they would probably not have much chance of prevailing. If you blew off the hearing, then you stand a good chance of losing.

That said, as a member of an HOA, you really should keep up your lawn. People buy into HOAs BC they expect certain standards to be maintained. The other owners can keep their lawns maintained even though it rains and so should you.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:52 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,648,553 times
Gimme fitty bucks and i'll shank the mouth piece. Problem solved.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:59 PM

1,139 posts, read 3,467,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
Read your governing documents and FS 720. They have to send you a notice and then set a hearing before a covenant enforcement committee. You must be notified of the hearing and will have the opprotunity to state your case. If you are sure that they did not have a hearing, I don't think they can give it to an attorney.

That said, as a member of an HOA, you really should keep up your lawn. People buy into HOAs BC they expect certain standards to be maintained. The other owners can keep their lawns maintained even though it rains and so should you.
Thanks for your quick response. I don't think I got any hearing(unless I missed it in the mail).

I understand what HOAs are for and I intend to keep my lawn maintained well but I don't like how this situation is being escalated when my HOA has my home phone, cell phone to reach me.

Old 08-22-2009, 02:20 PM

144 posts, read 698,695 times
One of the reasons why I like living in established neighborhoods with no HOA. :-) My aunt once got a letter from the HOA saying that she needed to replace her dead grass. At that time, the county had severe water restrictions, so she was stuck in the middle. But I think she ended up working the issue out.

Old 08-22-2009, 02:37 PM

13,768 posts, read 38,202,996 times
HIF..
Don't they have to send you a certified letter notifying you of the hearing?

Old 08-22-2009, 02:47 PM

5,453 posts, read 9,304,985 times
When I was in the board of our HOA in Orlando, we used to send 3 letters of warnings then a letter with the fine due date, Then someone else would take care of the yard in question and send them a bill, if that bill was not addressed we sent it to collections and if even then NOTHING happened our HOA had the power to put a lien on the house!

Not sure if it works the same around here since I see that most HOA's are managed by management companies rather than residents.....but that's what we used to do.

Alex

Old 08-23-2009, 05:56 AM

214 posts, read 678,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Gimme fitty bucks and i'll shank the mouth piece. Problem solved.

Actually I was sitting outside Union Station waiting for a midday train last Friday when "Henry" who had done 19 years and 6 months struck up a conversation with me. He IS looking for work but not that kind.

Old 08-23-2009, 05:58 AM

61 posts, read 188,400 times
Pay the fine and pull the weeds. You aren't going to win this one unfortunately. Maybe hire a lawn guy to avoid future occurances.

Old 08-23-2009, 06:07 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,304,985 times
Did that law passed about allowing homeowners to landscape in a way that if we get no rain nothing looks terrible? and not have that conflict and be buffer between the city water restrictions and HOA's??? cause it seemed very reasonable.......there were talks a couple of months ago......anyone know anything?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay