Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 05:33 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,545,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdubose View Post
I would have to say Indian Rocks Beach as well, since you are looking for a laid-back vacation consisting of hanging on the beach, riding bikes, lots of walking, casual but good dining, and most of all...relaxing.
Downtown Dunedin would be nice for the walking, casual but good dining but you would have to commute to either Clearwater Beach (pay for parking) or Honeymoon Island ($8.00 to get into to go to the beach.
At least at Indian Rocks you can get on the beach free and you dont have to worry about paying for parking. Also as a bonus, you can either do lots of walking along the roads of the beach or walk on the beach whereas in Dunedin you have no choice but to walk on the Pinellas Trail or the sidewalks.
Hope you enjoy your vacation!!!
errrrrr( me putting on my brakes)............no beach access anywhere in Dunedin? none?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 05:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,017 times
I.r.b.!!!

Old 08-24-2009, 06:22 PM

626 posts, read 1,348,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs. P View Post
errrrrr( me putting on my brakes)............no beach access anywhere in Dunedin? none?
As far as I know... you have either the Dunedin Causeway (ick!) which leads to Honeymoon Island (nice! but $8.00). All along Bayshore Blvd down to the Marina and down to Union St is waterfront but does not have beach access.... unless you feel like jumping off of a seawall onto rocks full of barnacles and wading out through the muck into a boat channel and possibly feeling one grain of sand between your toes along the way.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:29 PM

37 posts, read 93,348 times
Don't mean to hijack this thread but I have considered both Indian Rock and Dunedin as a vacation destination but am also wondering about Bellair/Bellair Beach, how is this area?

Thanks.

Old 08-24-2009, 07:43 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,304,420 times
Belleair is on the mainland. It's very ritzy and I don't think there's an actual beach there, even so, it wouldn't be on the Gulf proper. Belleair Beach is next to Clearwater Beach and it is very, very quiet. I think there is only one, maybe two motels in the entire town; there are no restaurants or any entertainment venues. While Belleair Beach has free/public beach access, the neighboring town of Belleair Shore (exists only on the west side of Gulf Blvd.) has private beach access points, which are monitored.

Old 08-25-2009, 05:24 PM

626 posts, read 1,348,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferret111 View Post
Belleair is on the mainland. It's very ritzy and I don't think there's an actual beach there, even so, it wouldn't be on the Gulf proper. Belleair Beach is next to Clearwater Beach and it is very, very quiet. I think there is only one, maybe two motels in the entire town; there are no restaurants or any entertainment venues. While Belleair Beach has free/public beach access, the neighboring town of Belleair Shore (exists only on the west side of Gulf Blvd.) has private beach access points, which are monitored.
This is true! Belleair on the mainland doesnt have a beach... this town is about 1 mile from the Gulf and you would have to cross the Belleair Causeway to get there. Belleair Beach is a really nice beach but like Ferret said there really isnt anywhere to "vacation" around there since it is primarily residential. I personally think you would be better off going to Indian Rocks since it is only about 1/2 mile from Belleair Beach but yet has the hotels, villas, cottages, restaurants, etc that most people look for when vacationing. You might also care to check out the Sand Key area... it is North of Belleair Beach towards Clearwater Beach, they have a few great hotels there and also a few great restaurants... plus you would be between Clearwater and Indian Rocks with access to all along the Beach Trolley

Old 08-25-2009, 05:28 PM

1,466 posts, read 3,079,489 times
IRB or Indian shores for sure. If you are near the town of IRB then you can walk to all the eating/drinking places and dont need the car. But there is also a trolley bus if you dont' want to drive

Old 08-25-2009, 06:06 PM

1,141 posts, read 3,545,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kdubose View Post
As far as I know... you have either the Dunedin Causeway (ick!) which leads to Honeymoon Island (nice! but $8.00). All along Bayshore Blvd down to the Marina and down to Union St is waterfront but does not have beach access.... unless you feel like jumping off of a seawall onto rocks full of barnacles and wading out through the muck into a boat channel and possibly feeling one grain of sand between your toes along the way.
Ok thank you. How about Largo or Palm Harbor beach access ?

Old 08-25-2009, 06:38 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,304,420 times
Largo and Palm Harbor don't have any beaches either.

Old 08-26-2009, 03:29 AM

1,466 posts, read 3,079,489 times
But beach access is easy from Largo, just over the bridge at Walsingham road, if you are close enough.
Check the addresses of the property you are considering, I know there are a couple of homes to rent on VRBO.com in Largo and Seminole, not really walking to the beach, you'd need the car, but you can park pretty easily. Palm Harbor no beach unless you to to honeymoon island
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay