Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 08:57 AM

78 posts, read 376,459 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
My boyfriend and I are visiting the Tampa area June 2-5. We're checking out a few different cities and planning to move south (somewhere!) from NY. So, I'm just looking for recommendations on neighborhoods that would be good to check out, general info on life for young professionals in Tampa, and things to do while we are in town!
About us...we're 23, looking to live somewhere fun, very safe, close to bars/restaurants/outdoor recreation and with a manageable commute. Preferably in an area where there are lots of other young professionals. Our budget is probably around $800.
So, anyone have any recommendations for us? Things not to miss while we are visiting? Basically open to anywhere in the Tampa area!
Thanks
Sara
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2007, 08:59 PM

144 posts, read 698,358 times
First off, make sure you bring warm and comfortable clothes. Sometimes the weather gets really hot and sticky.

Tampa does not really have any major attractions like New York or Washington DC. However, if you prefer something fun, you can try Busch Gardens or Adventure Island. They are right next to each other. If you prefer something quite, then you can try walking around the downtown Tampa for a short time. Maybe stop by the historic Tampa Theater or check out the Tampa Museum of Art. You might one to also check out the historic Ybor district, but make sure you don't stay there too late (maybe passed 10PM or so) and park in "safe" areas like the parking garage.

As far as places to live, you can try the Hyde Park (South Tampa area) or probably in the Carrollwood area. Hyde Park has many bars and night clubs. It's also near Bayshore Blvd., which is considered to have the longest sidewalk in the world.

In between Hyde Park and Carrollwood, you can check International Plaza. They have great restaurants and many young professionals hang out at the Blue Martini for after 5 drinks.

As far as your budget, I think $800 can get you a lot in 4 days. That's assuming that it doesn't include lodging. But still lodging shouldn't be that bad since you can find many hotels that are pretty affordable and not too far from everything else.

My recommendations for bars / clubs: Whiskey Park (South), Hyde Park Cafe, Howl at the Moon, Splittsville, Blue Martini.

Old 05-10-2007, 09:10 PM

923 posts, read 3,512,509 times
Default $800???

Quote:
Originally Posted by theluckiest1 View Post
Hi everyone,
My boyfriend and I are visiting the Tampa area June 2-5. We're checking out a few different cities and planning to move south (somewhere!) from NY. So, I'm just looking for recommendations on neighborhoods that would be good to check out, general info on life for young professionals in Tampa, and things to do while we are in town!
About us...we're 23, looking to live somewhere fun, very safe, close to bars/restaurants/outdoor recreation and with a manageable commute. Preferably in an area where there are lots of other young professionals. Our budget is probably around $800.
So, anyone have any recommendations for us? Things not to miss while we are visiting? Basically open to anywhere in the Tampa area!
Thanks
Sara
Sorry, Sweetie.
$800.00 a week?
Eight hundred a month will not even get you in a *****-infested flea-bag hotel...

Save more money or stay with your mom...

Old 05-10-2007, 09:52 PM

44 posts, read 161,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLaSalle View Post
Sorry, Sweetie.
$800.00 a week?
Eight hundred a month will not even get you in a *****-infested flea-bag hotel...

Save more money or stay with your mom...
Chill out buddy. We're just looking for some help. No need to be a jerk about it.

We're looking for a place that rent is $800/mo. Our combined income would be way way more then that a week.

Last edited by Ascf33; 05-10-2007 at 10:14 PM..

Old 05-10-2007, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qacer View Post
First off, make sure you bring warm and comfortable clothes. Sometimes the weather gets really hot and sticky.

Tampa does not really have any major attractions like New York or Washington DC. However, if you prefer something fun, you can try Busch Gardens or Adventure Island. They are right next to each other. If you prefer something quite, then you can try walking around the downtown Tampa for a short time. Maybe stop by the historic Tampa Theater or check out the Tampa Museum of Art. You might one to also check out the historic Ybor district, but make sure you don't stay there too late (maybe passed 10PM or so) and park in "safe" areas like the parking garage.

As far as places to live, you can try the Hyde Park (South Tampa area) or probably in the Carrollwood area. Hyde Park has many bars and night clubs. It's also near Bayshore Blvd., which is considered to have the longest sidewalk in the world.

In between Hyde Park and Carrollwood, you can check International Plaza. They have great restaurants and many young professionals hang out at the Blue Martini for after 5 drinks.

As far as your budget, I think $800 can get you a lot in 4 days. That's assuming that it doesn't include lodging. But still lodging shouldn't be that bad since you can find many hotels that are pretty affordable and not too far from everything else.

My recommendations for bars / clubs: Whiskey Park (South), Hyde Park Cafe, Howl at the Moon, Splittsville, Blue Martini.
Thanks for the info. We're really looking for stuff that everyday people who live there would do. Not really looking for the amusement park vacation type of thing. We're looking for possible places to live and work and all that. We are def gonna check out the Hyde Park area though. And we'll def be going out to the bars all 3 nights we are there. Thanks again!

Old 05-10-2007, 10:39 PM

923 posts, read 3,512,509 times
Default You asked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascf33 View Post
Chill out buddy. We're just looking for some help. No need to be a jerk about it.

We're looking for a place that rent is $800/mo. Our combined income would be way way more then that a week.
Just letting you know that Tampa is NOT Cheap. Be prepared.

Old 05-11-2007, 12:26 AM

144 posts, read 698,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascf33 View Post

Frankly, $800/mo will not get you anything decent in the Hyde Park area. I believe they are along the lines of $1000+ / month for a 2 bedroom. My rent in the Carrollwood area was about $950 / month for a two-story apartment with 2 bedrooms and 2.5 bathrooms. You can try combing around ApartmentRatings.com and start calling apartments that suit your needs.

However, if you guys are looking for a 1-bedroom, then you might be able to find something decent for $800. I suggest you also combed thru Craigslist.org's Tampa listing for housing.

The bottom line is: expect to pay more than $1000+/mo just for rent alone in the trendier areas of Tampa. Also expect to pay around $100+/mo for electricity especially during the summer months. Some folks not used to the hot weather may crank up their ACs at constantly cool temps.

Old 05-11-2007, 05:10 AM

8 posts, read 29,282 times
I wouldn't think that the difference in pricing would be much different than NY...but its been a couple of years since I visited New York. My family and I have just relocated here from NC a couple of months ago. Now, the pricing is def different here than in NC!
You really should look for apt's online - there is such an overwhelming choice of apt's and condo's and townhomes here. We have moved into a gated community, which is really nice, especially considering our childrens ages, but boy, talk about putting a dent in your wallet when it comes time to pay for this place! We had to move here in such a hurry, with 3 dogs, a 2 yr. old, a 3 yr. old that we decided to rent first and take our time looking for a home to buy since there are so many on the market. My husband works in St. Petersburg and we live in N. Tampa....his commute is almost always over an hour. But....the St. Petersburg area is so over-crowded and we figured it would be busting at the seams during tourist 'season'....he'd rather have that commute than to live in St. Pete.

Old 05-11-2007, 06:13 AM

78 posts, read 376,459 times
Thanks everyone for the helpful info. $800 is really just a starting point for us, in looking at comparing what we can get for the money. We are considering several cities, Tampa area being one of our top choices.

Old 05-11-2007, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeLaSalle View Post
Just letting you know that Tampa is NOT Cheap. Be prepared.
Alright. Thanks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay