Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2009, 09:42 AM

2 posts, read 3,725 times

Advertisements

I am debating between Tampa/FL which is pretty expensive or the Deland/FL or Orlando area as job transfer.
Any advise where to get the most house for the money and best place to live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2009, 11:29 AM

5,654 posts, read 6,227,416 times
There are a lot of factors that would determine the "best" place to live. What is important to you? Do you have kids, do you want to be by the water, etc.? IS being near a city important to you? It sounds like you are looking to buy rather than rent? Do you have a price range (or at least a maximum?) that you are looking to spend?

Old 12-26-2009, 03:43 PM

11,486 posts, read 15,319,897 times
As the poster above stated it is very hard to help you with the info you gave.

If you can post some more info it will help others be able to give more advice.

For me, I would not want inside the Tampa or Orlando city area's for various reasons with traffic being one of them.

Many good areas outside of the Tampa area, north or south.

Lutz, Odessa, Wesley Chapel on the north are smaller towns close to Tampa that are family oriented towns with some good neighborhoods.

Orlando also has some areas that are decent but they are all on the outside areas of town such as Deland, Clermont, Lakeland etc.

Personally I like Deland but it is way to far away from our favorite gulf side beaches.

The Tampa area is not any more expensive then the Orlando area. If you outside of the Tampa and Orlando areas you will be able to find many great home buys right now.

I believe people coming to Florida to live should rent first to see if you can adjust to your new town, but sometimes you cannot pass on the great home buys out there.

Once you post your needs, if you have kids, schools then would be the most important, drive times to work, housing, etc someone will be able to help more.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:55 AM

4,091 posts, read 6,023,069 times
I tried moving to Orlando. Had recently lost my job and was going to "restart my life." The apartments there were ridiculous. I'm not even going to try to explain. My girlfriend and I ended up in a tiny apartment complex that we learned as soon as we signed the lease was going bankrupt. The crime in the area was so bad that a cop had pulled me over (while walking) to make sure I wasn't breaking into any of the nearby businesses (because, apparently, walking at night makes you a thief) and the traffic made this city VERY unfriendly to pedestrians. This was in the Metro West area. The positives were I was next to EVERYTHING. I walked to Universal on a daily basis. However, if you don't have a job, do not move there.

Tampa is where I've been my whole life. It's getting pretty gloomy here as no reputable businesses want to come down, and no small businesses open. You're stuck with what you have. Again, public transit is also a joke here, but it's more pedestrian friendly (if you don't mind walking a good half hour to get to a store). There's very little entertainment IN Tampa outside of bars. It's a short drive to Clearwater and St. Pete, however, where there are a few more activities one can partake in.

I've never been to Deland, so I can't comment.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:47 AM

1,824 posts, read 8,383,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
Tampa is where I've been my whole life. It's getting pretty gloomy here as no reputable businesses want to come down, and no small businesses open. You're stuck with what you have. Again, public transit is also a joke here, but it's more pedestrian friendly (if you don't mind walking a good half hour to get to a store). There's very little entertainment IN Tampa outside of bars. It's a short drive to Clearwater and St. Pete, however, where there are a few more activities one can partake in.
I just have to ask...what type of entertainment is missing from Tampa?(outside of bars). What do you find elsewhere that you dont find here in Tampa?

As far as walking a half hour to the store, im not sure where you live in Tampa, but my neighborhood its about a 5 min walk to over a dozen restaurants, farmers market, banks, bars, mechanic, convenience stores, doctors/dentist, bus stops, pharmacy, florist, bakery, meat market, wine shop, cigar shop, small businesses, etc..and about a 15 min walk to the Library, and even more shops/restaurants. (South Tampa - Westshore Blvd and Manahtten Ave area around El Prado and Euclid Ave).

Old 12-29-2009, 11:36 AM

Not everyone lives in South Tampa. I lived over by Anderson and Gunn. I now live in Valrico and that should explain everything.

Old 12-29-2009, 12:31 PM

1,824 posts, read 8,383,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAniacTHW View Post
Not everyone lives in South Tampa. I lived over by Anderson and Gunn. I now live in Valrico and that should explain everything.
Ahh, that does explain alot...you dont live in Tampa.

Anderson and Gunn is not in the City of Tampa limits and we all know Valrico way outside the City of Tampa...(both are Hillsborough County suburbs of Tampa).

Last edited by tampaguy03; 12-29-2009 at 12:45 PM..

Old 12-29-2009, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tampaguy03 View Post
Ahh, that does explain alot...you dont live in Tampa.

Anderson and Gunn is not in the City of Tampa limits and we all know Valrico way outside the City of Tampa...(both are Hillsbrough County suburbs of Tampa).
I suppose. The Anderson/Gunn area did use "Tampa" as the address, but yes, is outside city limit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay