Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 08:56 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,066,496 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Noticed that the last time I was there - lady at the register was answering the phone while taking money/handling the transactions while a lot of people were standing in line. You could tell that store is trying to operate on the cheap.

Oh really?

I noticed that while customers were in line, the phone could ring and theyd stop what they were doing to answer. Its for sure a crazy setup. It be a good place to work if it werent for this factor though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 05:44 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,424,754 times
that's what I meant - cashier stopped what she was doing (talking money) to answer the phone - poor management, imo - a sign of understaffing - and a reason for the cheap prices, I guess.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:09 PM

357 posts, read 799,699 times
If you have lots of experience in the nursing field, you have a good shot at getting a job as a glorified butt-wiper. And the pay will be slightly above minimum wage, which is much better than all the intern/volunteer positions out there!

Old 02-03-2010, 08:00 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,334,657 times
I am also having trouble finding work. You are not alone bud. Tampa has, what, a 12.5% unemployment rate? Work isn't going to come easy in this town for a while I'm afraid. Sucks too because I am basically living on student loans. Those never last forever! : (

Old 02-04-2010, 07:38 AM

5,453 posts, read 9,298,940 times
BucFan: I've seen this at many retailers, jcpenney, sears, bed, bath and beyond.....and not just now.....seen it in Fort Lauderdale back in 2001, 02, 03.....nothing new.....i've seen employees talk to each other while the line was over 5 people long........it has to do with "work ethic" not pay.....and that's not taught in school, that has to be taught by the parents..........it is a vicious circle.....

Old 02-04-2010, 08:58 AM

3,381 posts, read 9,121,574 times
I looked online for jobs in Tampa, saw lots of them. Is it the entry/lower level jobs that are hind to find in Tampa or is across the board? I am a Project Manager/Business Analyst in the Insurance Industry and it seemed as though there were quite a few job for this type of work. Am I mistaken?

Old 02-04-2010, 10:26 AM

1,824 posts, read 8,377,735 times
There is a large presence of Financial Services/Insurance businesses in the Tampa area. Some Corporate Headquarters and Regionla Headquarters for companies like Raymond James, Bank of America, John Hancock, MetLife, Citi, USAA, etc.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:47 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,121,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tampaguy03 View Post
There is a large presence of Financial Services/Insurance businesses in the Tampa area. Some Corporate Headquarters and Regionla Headquarters for companies like Raymond James, Bank of America, John Hancock, MetLife, Citi, USAA, etc.

Thanks TampaGuy, seems like a good fit for myself and my skills. I have seen some other posts on this forum where people believe there are no jobs available while others say there is work to be had. It seems to depend on your qualifications and how desirable your skillset is on the current market.

Old 02-04-2010, 02:07 PM

357 posts, read 799,699 times
Look closely at the postings on Monster and Career Builder. You will soon discover that a good portion of them are repeated postings by staffing agencies for positions that may or may not actually exist. The staffing agencies are desperate to justify their branch's existence right now and have resorted to posting openings for positions that do not actually exist. If they are able to add X more people into their database each week, they get to keep their location open, regardless of whether they actually have any work to offer anyone.

Old 02-05-2010, 02:29 PM

58 posts, read 147,896 times
Just an update:

I tried the Michaels, but apparently they are looking for management, something I, a college student, am not qualified to do. I've put some other pokers in the fire, though, so hopefully I get called back on at least one of those. If not, I guess I will keep trying.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay