Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 04:23 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradS1 View Post
It's interesting how so many different people have different views on the heat. I recently moved to St. Pete(across from the dog track) and loving the weather so far, although Feb and early March were very cold. Beautiful since then though.

I have a couple of questions:

1)How much does the energy bill go up as the coming months progress? I didn't run the AC or heat in March and the bill was about 60. I live on the 3rd floor which tends to hold steady with the outside temp.

2)Will we be getting the steady cool off rain showers here? Some people are saying certain areas are hit or miss...I'm wondering if my area is a hotspot for the storms.

3)Is it true that the summer is more bearable down here b/c we'll get the summer breezes off the water? I mean, the wind can come from almost any direction and still be coming off the water. What is the predominant wind direction in the summer?

Thanks!
The only good thing about the seabreeze is it keeps our temps from going over 100 and also helps keep us stay a little warmer in the winter. Our bay and gulf water temps will be around 90 by late june. Your area does pretty good for rain when we have a southeast wind flow.

Once we get stuck in a reverse west wind flow your gonna see what pure hell is when the lows are in the 80's and the dew points are 73 degrees + and the AC keeps on running.

Chas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2010, 04:48 PM

149 posts, read 467,304 times
Pure hell huh? I was down here the early part of last Sept when it was 90 degrees everyday, and it really didn't feel unbearable with the nice breeze going. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I am concerned about the energy costs though. I refuse to live like a swamp rat so the AC will definitely be blasting.

Old 04-12-2010, 05:03 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
Pure hell huh? I was down here the early part of last Sept when it was 90 degrees everyday, and it really didn't feel unbearable with the nice breeze going. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I am concerned about the energy costs though. I refuse to live like a swamp rat so the AC will definitely be blasting.
Are you the top floor?
That will have a lot to do with it.

When I had a condo in Clearwater on the bay we got such a nice breeze I don't think we ever had to turn on the air but I am someone that likes the warm weather.

Old 04-12-2010, 05:37 PM

30,432 posts, read 21,255,233 times
Quote:

Pure hell where i live on the gulf. Plus is varys from person to person, what maybe my hell could be your heaven.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:04 PM

149 posts, read 467,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Are you the top floor?
That will have a lot to do with it.

When I had a condo in Clearwater on the bay we got such a nice breeze I don't think we ever had to turn on the air but I am someone that likes the warm weather.
That sounds promising. Yep, I'm on the top floor and I really do love how the wind rushes through the place. I turned the air on twice here so far, and only for 1/2 hour each time just to drop a few degrees into the 70's. There was no breeze during that time and the heating of the day steamed the place up. Fans would've done the trick to pull the cool in at night, but I don't have any.

I only have windows on the east and around to the northwest side so I think a lot will depend on how and if the wind changes throughout the coming months.

Old 04-12-2010, 08:37 PM

8,489 posts, read 20,643,615 times
Quote:
That sounds promising. Yep, I'm on the top floor and I really do love how the wind rushes through the place. I turned the air on twice here so far, and only for 1/2 hour each time just to drop a few degrees into the 70's. There was no breeze during that time and the heating of the day steamed the place up. Fans would've done the trick to pull the cool in at night, but I don't have any.

I only have windows on the east and around to the northwest side so I think a lot will depend on how and if the wind changes throughout the coming months.
The breeze is promising but depending on the type of roof the top floor can sometime be an issue.
We were 5th floor of a 7 story building so didn't have to worry about heat from the roof. The terrace faced northeast and had sliding glass doors in the living room and the bedroom and went straight through to the kitchen and other bedroom window.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:53 PM

7 posts, read 14,943 times
The heat and humidity is not that bad. Personally, I love it. I moved here from Seattle and feel very blessed. The winters here are like summers in Seattle FYI, it is just as hot and humid (maybe even worse) in the summer time in NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay