Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-22-2010, 07:09 AM

427 posts, read 1,093,735 times

Advertisements

My mom and I were thinking of buying a house, maybe one of those concrete block homes from the 50's. Like the kind in Meadowlawn. I saw a few listings for around 100K. Are biggest concern though is mold. Is it just a given that if you buy an old place, there's going to be mold? We don't want to start off by ripping out all the drywall and replacing it. We both get allergies when there is mold present. She is actually on asthma medication, but I think it's due to the mold in the walls where she lives in now. It was her parent's condo and they didn't run the AC much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2010, 07:30 AM

4,696 posts, read 7,895,539 times
Get an inspector to take a look at it , and put a clause in your offer for it.

Old 03-22-2010, 07:45 AM

17,535 posts, read 39,141,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt_sfl View Post
My mom and I were thinking of buying a house, maybe one of those concrete block homes from the 50's. Like the kind in Meadowlawn. I saw a few listings for around 100K. Are biggest concern though is mold. Is it just a given that if you buy an old place, there's going to be mold? We don't want to start off by ripping out all the drywall and replacing it. We both get allergies when there is mold present. She is actually on asthma medication, but I think it's due to the mold in the walls where she lives in now. It was her parent's condo and they didn't run the AC much.
No, it is not a given that an older place will have mold. I have lived in many older places, only one had mold problems - an old 1920's Spanish style house with a leaky roof and in terrible condition. Water intrusion is your biggest cause of mold, and lack of ventilation. As Annie says, get an inspection. Also, you can often smell if a place has damp or musty odors. Also be wary if the place is surrounded by big old trees overhanging the roof. Sun does a lot to keep things dry.

I currently live in a great little 1954 Florida ranch home, with tons of character and personality. It is dry as a bone, and I have terrible allergies when it comes to dust and mold. This little house is tight as a drum and really great.

Good luck to you!

Old 03-23-2010, 10:00 AM

1,466 posts, read 3,080,207 times
Mold :: Mold Inspection Information, Mold in the Media - Hype vs Reality

We live in a 70s block home, never had any major problems with the bad mold, but water damage from behind a shower caused us to have to remove some woodwork, but nothing sinister there.
A/c use is the most critical to keep the air circulating and ensure closets and areas with less circulation get vented/aired regularly to avoid situations developing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay