Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay
 [Register]
Tampa Bay Tampa - St. Petersburg - Clearwater
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 11:47 AM

249 posts, read 440,814 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am new here, coming from a country where all the prices in all gas stations are the same.

Anyone could tell me how they work here? I see a price different in the morning and in the afternoon, at the same station, and different from across the street .

Also if by any chance I see a price displayed lower, I get in, I see a totally different price at the pump, and the staff tell me this price is... if you buy a card or wash or whatever.

Is there a logic in all that, and a way to buy it as cheap as possible? I live in Tampa, I have noticed it is much higher in Clearwater and Sarasota.

Thanks for helping a new comer
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 12:09 PM

2,602 posts, read 8,307,416 times
Prices are set based on the going price of oil. Many stations, especially independent ones, don't have that much flexibility when it comes to pricing. I don't think pricing is really regulated, except in cases of extreme price gouging, which usually occurs after natural disasters like hurricanes.

The change in price over the course of the day shows that oil went up or down enough to count. The price difference across the street is just each station's way of competition. For example, if you turn get off at an interstate exit, the stations on the right side may have higher prices, since you'll be more likely to make a right turn into a station rather than attempting a left turn.

The difference in pricing between cities has to do with local taxes. Tampa would probably be more expensive than unincorporated Hillsborough County. The same thing applies to St. Pete, Clearwater, and the rest of Pinellas. Usually the differences aren't that big.

After driving around for awhile, you'll start to notice which stations are typically cheaper. Stations around major tourist areas or areas with rental cars will be more expensive, simply because people from out of town won't know where else to go.

Old 04-19-2010, 01:44 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,127,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allwyna View Post
Hi all,

I am new here, coming from a country where all the prices in all gas stations are the same.

Anyone could tell me how they work here? I see a price different in the morning and in the afternoon, at the same station, and different from across the street .

Also if by any chance I see a price displayed lower, I get in, I see a totally different price at the pump, and the staff tell me this price is... if you buy a card or wash or whatever.

Is there a logic in all that, and a way to buy it as cheap as possible? I live in Tampa, I have noticed it is much higher in Clearwater and Sarasota.

Thanks for helping a new comer

You know, the prices begin different, fluctuations and what not always have bothered me. I never though of what it would be like coming from Mexico where all the stations are owned by the government. I could imagine how frustrating and confusing it may be.

I think Stations being allowed to show the price on the board which reflects a discount card is wrong and should be illegal. If you have the card, you know to take 3cents off the price or whatever. This is American Capitalism at it's best. Deceive potential customers so they come in and possibly buy. Sometimes it works out for the better as you find a deal you were not aware of. You can also google gasbuddy and you will be directed to a site which will show you where the cheapest gas is in town.

Good Luck!

Old 04-19-2010, 02:13 PM

712 posts, read 1,367,026 times
Quote:
I see a price different in the morning and in the afternoon, at the same station, and different from across the street .
Welcome to Capitalism. In America the most important things are making lots of money, paying lots of taxes, owning a home, a boat, an expensive car and having more than your neighbors. Stick to that and you will experience true happiness.

Old 04-19-2010, 02:55 PM

Hahaha, Negociator!!! . I am originally from France, and the prices are not everywhere the same, but you know where to go (at least when you are used to). It is always the same place that is the cheapest one. In Mexico (you remember? ), you need to be careful of the quantity. In one liter (or one gallon or whatever), you don't always get that, so you check the distance you drive with the same quantity from each gas station... Other cultures...

So I guess I need to get used to Tampa now . But money is the rule everywhere, for what I know! I prefer to have fun than "more..." than my neighbors, but I have to be very careful about money.

One thing i was not prepared to (although I already came to Florida to explore) is the distances that are huuuuuuuge . Thus the gas problem. Not knowing the area, I drive hundreds of miles for nothing.

Thanks for Gasbuddy, other tips to help me?

Old 04-19-2010, 03:27 PM

1,500 posts, read 3,335,112 times
I think the prices differences also have to do with when a station bought its last tanker of gas.

As to the difference on the board and at the pump, I believe the board is required to specify cash price but it is written very small and we are not used to looking for it. I tend to avoid those when I learn of them.

Here's an excellent site for gas prices in any area. I highly recommend its use and your participation in it as well...

GasBuddy.com - Find Low Gas Prices in the USA and Canada

Here's the Tampa link: Tampa Gas Prices - Find Cheap Gas Prices in Florida

Old 04-19-2010, 03:31 PM

3,381 posts, read 9,127,272 times
Quote:
Hahaha, Negociator!!! . I am originally from France, and the prices are not everywhere the same, but you know where to go (at least when you are used to). It is always the same place that is the cheapest one. In Mexico (you remember? ), you need to be careful of the quantity. In one liter (or one gallon or whatever), you don't always get that, so you check the distance you drive with the same quantity from each gas station... Other cultures...

So I guess I need to get used to Tampa now . But money is the rule everywhere, for what I know! I prefer to have fun than "more..." than my neighbors, but I have to be very careful about money.

One thing i was not prepared to (although I already came to Florida to explore) is the distances that are huuuuuuuge . Thus the gas problem. Not knowing the area, I drive hundreds of miles for nothing.

Thanks for Gasbuddy, other tips to help me?
You may want to think of getting a GPS that has the option for 'fastest' route and/or 'shortest' route. This may end up paying for itself over time by keeping you from wondering around.

Old 04-19-2010, 04:49 PM

I just bought a GPS, Garmin nuvi 1490. That's the worst purchase I have ever made, I am going to exchange it. Maybe a Tom Tom will be wiser. It makes me turn in circles forever, and tells me BS .

The other night I was on Dale Mabry south, I live on Dale Mabry North. At one moment, it told me turn right on .... whatever. Why should I turn, since I have to go straight ahead. On the highway on the loooong bridge, it also told me "turn left NOW' and kept repeating it . If I do so, I have to cross the other cars coming the other way, THEN jump in the water.

For now, I need to learn where the best (quality/price) grocery stores are, the closest Michaels etc.... So many things to learn!!!!! Thus another thread.... But it is funny. And thank for all your help, it is really needed.

Old 04-28-2010, 04:01 PM

214 posts, read 678,820 times
Quote:

On the highway on the loooong bridge, it also told me "turn left NOW' and kept repeating it . If I do so, I have to cross the other cars coming the other way, THEN jump in the water. .

You too? My friend's Garmin kept telling her to turn right when she was halfway across a bridge over the Mississippi River.

We started calling it "Suicide Garmin" after that episode...

Old 04-28-2010, 04:17 PM

357 posts, read 800,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nucat78 View Post
You too? My friend's Garmin kept telling her to turn right when she was halfway across a bridge over the Mississippi River.

We started calling it "Suicide Garmin" after that episode...
Yup, do you realize how many people have died and/or totaled their vehicles by blindly following GPS directions?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida > Tampa Bay