Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2010, 11:13 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,348,405 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
They'd have to take algebra very early in middle school to leave room for three years of calculus and one of linear equations. In fact, they'd have to finish geometry and trig in middle school too.

Here, algebra is, typically, taken in 8th grade, geometry in 9th, algebra II trig in 10th and statistics, pre calc or AP calc in 12th. Anything beyond that is done at the local community college. So far, I haven't found a district offering linear algebra in high school. Personally, I wonder why a student wouldn't calculus and linear algebra at a college so they can get college credit.
Well, I'm from Alabama and I'm not knocking my home state, but I would say in the state of Alabama, outside of students attending the Alabama School of Math and Science, or maybe Grissom (full of students with parents that work for Boeing, NASA, etc) I was outside of the norm. I think only three schools in the state went past BC Calculus and my school wasn't one of them.

My parents had to go to the superintendent to get me into Algebra I as a 6th grader. I suppose it was a logistical thing, but in the end, I was able to take Algebra.

From there, I took Geometry in the 7th grade, Honors Algebra II w/ Trig in the 8th, and then honors Precalculus in the 9th. I took BC Calc in the 10th grade. And from that point, I took math classes at the University of Alabama.

The only reason why I bothered was because I knew I was going to major in math in college. I was always a great math students, but emotionally, it wouldn't have been a great idea for me to skip grades and all of that. I was an only child and I was very shy.

Oh, and technically students can take Algebra II and Geometry concurrently.

ETA: There are schools in NYC, Virginia, DC, Chicago, Atlanta, Philadelphia, etc that offer college level math courses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2010, 05:41 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
I don't think they're not entitled. I think they are better served at colleges. If they're taking linear algebra in high school, they belong in college. When I took it, linear algebra was a 300 level course. If they're that far advanced, they should be getting college credit for the courses they are taking. This is why my dd will take calculus at the local community college instead of taking calculus in her high school. If she's going to take a college level course, she might as well get college credit. While she could complete linear algebra and differential equations (taught together here) by the time she graduates, I doubt she will. That would be quite a feat to complete 3 calculus courses and linear algerbra/differential equations by graduation. Most college students struggle with calc II and with diffy Q. I can't imagine high school students taking them. (Calc I and calc II are easy).
1. She is getting college credit for all of her math classes from calc up. AP credits for Calc 1 and community college credits for the rest. Many high schools here have articulation agreements. And despite your inability to imagine it her high school has been graduating kids with linear for years.

Quote:
Seriously, I find it hard to believe that 30 students in a high school would be taking 3rd year college math courses before graduation from high school. I've never heard of it before this thread exdept in schools for the highly gifted. Both the high school my children attend and the high school I was teaching at send students to a community college to take these couses because there aren't enough students to fill them at the high school level.
It is becoming common for high schools to offer fast track course from our local community college during the school year. I know of 4 schools in my county that offer advanced math this way. My brother graduated from the same high school as my daughter and had taken right through linear as well. Again, about 30 kids out of 1800 a year.

Quote:
I'd be interested in knowing the math sequence for students doing this at the high school level. The reason my dd can finsish linear equations, if she chooses to do so, before graduation is that, in college, each calculus course is a one semester course not a one year course as it is in high school. She'll finish the high school math series in 10th grade and then move on to the community college instead of taking AP calc. because she's guaranteed credit if she passes if she takes it at the college level wheras she has to pass the AP exam to get credit if she takes AP calc. Plus she can finish two calculus courses in college in the same time she'd do one at the high school level.
I do not remember my brothers course sequence but my daughters was:

Algebra 1H 8th grade
Geometry 1 and Algebra 2H/Precalc 9th
Trig and Calc 1 10th grade
Calc 2 11th
Calc 3 summer of 11th
Calc 4 12th

It is common for kids here to double up in math with one for their elective, especially in the early part of high school. Also she is playing a bit of catch up because she did not take algebra 1H in 7th. If she has as many other kids do she would not have to take any summer courses. The last two classes are one section each while calc 1 and 2 are much more common.

Old 07-03-2010, 06:05 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post
Well, I'm from Alabama and I'm not knocking my home state, but I would say in the state of Alabama, outside of students attending the Alabama School of Math and Science, or maybe Grissom (full of students with parents that work for Boeing, NASA, etc) I was outside of the norm. I think only three schools in the state went past BC Calculus and my school wasn't one of them.

My parents had to go to the superintendent to get me into Algebra I as a 6th grader. I suppose it was a logistical thing, but in the end, I was able to take Algebra.

From there, I took Geometry in the 7th grade, Honors Algebra II w/ Trig in the 8th, and then honors Precalculus in the 9th. I took BC Calc in the 10th grade. And from that point, I took math classes at the University of Alabama.

The only reason why I bothered was because I knew I was going to major in math in college. I was always a great math students, but emotionally, it wouldn't have been a great idea for me to skip grades and all of that. I was an only child and I was very shy.

Oh, and technically students can take Algebra II and Geometry concurrently.

ETA: There are schools in NYC, Virginia, DC, Chicago, Atlanta, Philadelphia, etc that offer college level math courses.
You're correct on Alg II and Geo at the same time. Most kids don't though. One math class at a time is, usually, enough.

I'm reading this thread and thinking times have changed. When I was in high school, the series was Algebra I in 9th grade, Geometry in 10th, Algebra II/Trig in 11th and Algebra III/Trig in 12th. The fast track was taking pre calc in 12th grade. I don't think they even offered Calc I.

Appanently, our schools suck here too, lol. I really cannot imagine a school where even 30 kids take calc III before graduation. From my perspective, it would take someone phenomenal to have three years of calculus completed by the end of high school. I know how advanced my dd is and she will only have two years of calculus completed by high school graduation. We are opting for her to take it at the community college because she'll get college credit this way and she'll be able to do Calc I, II and III within two years. She couldn't do all three in the high school anyway. They only offer calc I and AP calc.

Old 07-03-2010, 02:39 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,087,395 times
My schools wouldn't let you take Geometry and Algebra II concurrently. I wish I had gone to one of these high schools that people on here seem to have. Dang.

Old 07-03-2010, 02:50 PM

1,476 posts, read 2,025,220 times
Not much if they don't know the difference between "teacher's" and "teachers!"
Sorry, just couldn't resist. I know we all make mistakes posting late at night, etc. But, again, I just couldn't resist.

Old 07-03-2010, 02:56 PM

1,654 posts, read 7,348,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post
Sorry, just couldn't resist. I know we all make mistakes posting late at night, etc. But, again, I just couldn't resist.

You should have kept that to yourself, as I see a few errors in your post. This isn't a grammar forum, and I'm just thankful that there are people interested in the state of education in America.

Old 07-03-2010, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pennquaker09 View Post
You should have kept that to yourself, as I see a few errors in your post. This isn't a grammar forum, and I'm thankful that there are people interested in the state of education in America.
It was a joke. Lighten up a bit.

Old 07-03-2010, 03:27 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GottaBMe View Post
You're about the third person. If I could edit the title I would. I was thinking of a teacher's pay when I wrote this and just typed it that way. Thinking one thing and wrote another. One of the problems with BB's is that we tend to write the way we talk and when we talk we don't concern ourselves with spelling or apostrophes. Hence you'll see two or to used when it should be too or their instead of they're or there.

Seriously, I don't get the point of pointing out spelling errors and typos. They're not the point of the post. I'm a good one for thinking of something one way but wording it another in the final post and then not correcting something like an apostrophe or a tense. Unfortunately, we can't edit titles so even though I noticed it, I couldn't fix it.

The only time I tend to point them out is when others are claiming superiority or when they make mistakes in posts calling out other's mistakes because then it's just too funny.

Old 07-03-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
You're about the third person. If I could edit the title I would. I was thinking of a teacher's pay when I wrote this and just typed it that way. Thinking one thing and wrote another. One of the problems with BB's is that we tend to write the way we talk and when we talk we don't concern ourselves with spelling or apostrophes. Hence you'll see two or to used when it should be too or their instead of they're or there.

Seriously, I don't get the point of pointing out spelling errors and typos. They're not the point of the post. I'm a good one for thinking of something one way but wording it another in the final post and then not correcting something like an apostrophe or a tense. Unfortunately, we can't edit titles so even though I noticed it, I couldn't fix it.

The only time I tend to point them out is when others are claiming superiority or when they make mistakes in posts calling out other's mistakes because then it's just too funny.
Sorry, Ivory. I didn't intend it to be mean or even critical. I understand the quick thinking/typing error and inability to edit the title. It just kept striking me as funny every time I read it. To me, there is an irony in asking how much a teacher should earn, with a spelling error in it. Again, sorry. Just found it amusing. No real judgment here about your talents! Have a good 4th.

Old 07-05-2010, 06:28 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,425,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Are the two of you in the same state and same cost of living area? Housing cost comparable etc? What is the median family income in each of your areas? Same state even?
I live in CA and $92,000 is a livable wage for a family of 4. I can't afford to live in the city, but where I live I can get more house for my money. I have two cars one is paid and 10 years old, the other is a late model but the note is less than $300, and I try to live within my means.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching