Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2010, 09:45 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,045,989 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
I'm going to be a math teacher, and I was an information systems (IT/business) major. I had some applied math--but it was all statistics and optimization. I've never gone beyond 2nd semester calculus. Personally though, I think I'm going to be a pretty good teacher. I am perfectly qualified to teach algebra/trig/geometry, which is what I want to teach.

I mean, you have to know what you're teaching, no question. Maybe a step beyond what you're teaching (so that like you said, you can explain the next steps). I really don't think adding 5 or 6 more math classes to my resume would enhance my ability to teach algebra though.
It would however give the public and the critics of teaching that you have the same subject competence as a math major. If you read many other threads and discussions you will see that is a topic of concern. Do you really want second class status in the world of math competence. Do you really want the label those who can do and those who can't teach stick on your math abilities?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2010, 10:47 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Thanks for the tips, Ivory.

I'm very confident at the use of math concepts in the programming world, and I took physics and chemistry at the college level, so I'm comfortable in the basics there. Also, I think my business background will help appeal to the non-mathy kids in the class. I can show them how the math they're learning will help them if they choose to pursue marketing, accounting, PR, HR, etc.

I think we agree on the heart of it though--kids need to see outside application to what they're learning. Whatever outside knowledge you bring to the classroom can only benefit you and your students.
Math is an easier sell than chemistry. You can start the year with a lecture on how math impacts earning potential. I wish I could stand up there and tell students that the number of years of chemistry class they take was positively correlated to higher earnings as it is in math. Many students are motivated by future earning potential.

Old 06-29-2010, 10:50 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
It would however give the public and the critics of teaching that you have the same subject competence as a math major. If you read many other threads and discussions you will see that is a topic of concern. Do you really want second class status in the world of math competence. Do you really want the label those who can do and those who can't teach stick on your math abilities?
You have a good point. Due to circumstances beyond my control, I graduated one class short of a math major. Even with 17 years of engineering and two engineering degrees, I couldn't buy a math interview. I ended up being granted the major after the fact on what I had when I graduated. I'm now, officially, a math major and many more doors are open to me. Nothing has changed exept the university blessing what I had and calling it a math major (I always had enough credits, I was missing one required class) but it makes a difference in how I am viewed.

Old 06-29-2010, 11:55 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,947,289 times
Quote:
That label's going to be there regardless. All I can do is prove them wrong. If my kids do well in class, then their parents have no leg to stand on when they go to belittle me. (And I realize that they still will...)

If the school district's worried about me being able to teach math because of my lack of a math major, then they won't hire me. As it is, I'm still a year away from my degree, but I've had more than one offer to teach interim this coming year while a teacher is out for personal reasons. I'm not terribly worried about being hired. If I can't find a job as a math teacher without a math major (I still have to have 30-something math and applied math credits, so it's not like I haven't taken any math), then I'll go back into industry and make twice as much. Or I'll go teach at a private school. Their loss. I know I'm qualified.

Old 06-29-2010, 02:36 PM

Quote:
That label's going to be there regardless. All I can do is prove them wrong. If my kids do well in class, then their parents have no leg to stand on when they go to belittle me. (And I realize that they still will...)

If the school district's worried about me being able to teach math because of my lack of a math major, then they won't hire me. As it is, I'm still a year away from my degree, but I've had more than one offer to teach interim this coming year while a teacher is out for personal reasons. I'm not terribly worried about being hired. If I can't find a job as a math teacher without a math major (I still have to have 30-something math and applied math credits, so it's not like I haven't taken any math), then I'll go back into industry and make twice as much. Or I'll go teach at a private school. Their loss. I know I'm qualified.
Virginia Tech has a great teacher training program. It is five years and you get your undergraduate degree in a content field and your graduate degree in education. That way you have both and if you decide you don't want to teach at any point you have your content expertise to fall back on.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:00 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by islandFever

I brought that up in my post. I don't feel that it is a public school's duty to provide lessons and classes that go "above and beyond". I believe they should be sought outside of school (in a private setting).
So what happens to the only slightly above average students who end up in calculus? They just have to be bored since you "believe" that education = babysitting?

Quote:
As far as comparing the US students to those of other students around the world, you would have to consider the end product- not 3rd graders or 6th graders- but how productive said students become as adults. Additionally, America has a hugh population that are immigrants and monorities that has somewhat burdened our resources. How can you possibly compare them to countries such as Japan, (South) Korea, and other northern European nations where such population is limited?
You seem to be missing the point entirely. We need to improve our education system by raising the bar on everyone not set it so low that no one will have the skills they need for college. Our loss of leadership in science and technology in this country is a real economic crisis.

Second, you seem to be vastly out of touch with the number of immigrants in schools. There populations are centered in mostly urban areas which do not remotely make up the majority of schools in this country.

I am all for the idea or bringing back tracking and vocational schools but that is because one size does not fit all when it comes to education. And good students need great teachers just as much as bad students do, maybe more so.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:12 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,425,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
We hear lots of complaining about teacher salaries. I'm curious as to what people think teachers should be paid.

Well, I thought I attached a poll to this but, apparently, not.
I can't complain about my salary because I think, and this is my opinion, that I did earn a livable wage of $92,000 before taxes in 2009. Now grant it, I have 17 years of teaching experience, did a lot of extra duty work, attended paid workshops/trainings, paid to help new teachers become credentialed, and do hold a MA degree to earn that salary last year.

With the possible furlough days and pay cuts, I don't know exactly what I will earn for the remainder of this year. But I am happy and blessed to still have a job in this tough economy.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:39 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
I can't complain about my salary because I think, and this is my opinion, that I did earn a livable wage of $92,000 before taxes in 2009. Now grant it, I have 17 years of teaching experience, did a lot of extra duty work, attended paid workshops/trainings, paid to help new teachers become credentialed, and do hold a MA degree to earn that salary last year.

With the possible furlough days and pay cuts, I don't know exactly what I will earn for the remainder of this year. But I am happy and blessed to still have a job in this tough economy.
Thank you for posting that. Your salary is only slightly less than my spouse's, and he has a PhD in physics, 30 years work experience, and works 12 months a year.

Old 06-29-2010, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Thank you for posting that. Your salary is only slightly less than my spouse's, and he has a PhD in physics, 30 years work experience, and works 12 months a year.
Are the two of you in the same state and same cost of living area? Housing cost comparable etc? What is the median family income in each of your areas? Same state even?

Old 06-29-2010, 07:47 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,779,853 times
Quote:
Are the two of you in the same state and same cost of living area? Housing cost comparable etc?
I don't know where antredd is. I'm in metro Denver, not the cheapest (not by a longshot) and yet not the most expensive metro area in the country. I'm not complaining about DH's salary, either. Just sayin'.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching