Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2009, 09:36 AM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You bring up a good point. I read some statistics once that show it's much more the other way. It's just more sensational when it's a woman teacher and a male student.
Is it more sensational? Yes. Does it generate more media attention? Yes. Is the punishment more severe? No. It's not even close to equally as severe in most cases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 06:54 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,801,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Freddy View Post
When I was in High School, I was ready and so was every other kid I knew, except maybe the retarded kid, the kid in the wheelchair, or the gay kid who became a preist.
I work with the handicapped kids and believe me, they're every bit as ready as the rest of you were. The gay kids? They're even readier. I had a severely retarded boy show me his new "toy" the other day (as he called it).

Old 03-24-2009, 09:13 AM

1,986 posts, read 4,067,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepka View Post
I work with the handicapped kids and believe me, they're every bit as ready as the rest of you were. The gay kids? They're even readier. I had a severely retarded boy show me his new "toy" the other day (as he called it).
New? Had he just discovered it?

Old 03-24-2009, 09:17 AM

1,986 posts, read 4,067,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afoigrokerkok View Post
Is it more sensational? Yes. Does it generate more media attention? Yes. Is the punishment more severe? No. It's not even close to equally as severe in most cases.
You are absolutely right. And what's worse, is the fact that society does not come down so hard on women sex offenders. They are not damned to hell for eternity and they are allowed to live in peace after they get out of prison (providing they are sent to prison in the first place, many aren't).

Why does the general population think women sex offenders are less threatening, less perverted?

Old 03-24-2009, 12:18 PM

14,975 posts, read 16,464,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stormy night View Post
You are absolutely right. And what's worse, is the fact that society does not come down so hard on women sex offenders. They are not damned to hell for eternity and they are allowed to live in peace after they get out of prison (providing they are sent to prison in the first place, many aren't).

Why does the general population think women sex offenders are less threatening, less perverted?
Because the general population still thinks women are less powerful than men. Also because those who are extreme feminists believe that women should have equal rights without equal responsibility.

Equal rights AND exactly equal responsibility is the way I think it should be.

This applies to everything in general...not just teacher/student relations.

Old 03-26-2009, 03:02 PM

3,564 posts, read 5,516,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason_Els View Post
The big list: Female teachers with students: Young victims mostly male, while penalties often hand slap (broken link)

When I was in high school, an upperclassman who was 17, had a summer fling with one of our teachers just before she started working at our school. She was hot and all the guys we're impressed that this guy got the hottie if only for the summer.

A lot of the guys on this list are young, and some of the women are a lot less than hot, but should there be a double standard for boys? I'm absolutely positive that this kind of relationship goes underreported because it's not all that rare and boys are more likely to not feel as though they've been victimized. Indeed, for many it's an ego boost.

I was seduced by a slightly older girl once when I was 13 and it was OK, but I'm concerned that few boys are ready for this sort of thing and I wonder how many are pressured into something they're not ready for.

I like the line in a Southpark episode about this. One of the kids explains to the cops (all male) what happened between his little brother and his teacher. The cop says "we need to track that little boy down right now.....and give him the luckiest boy in the world medal"

Old 04-03-2009, 10:11 PM

6 posts, read 12,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
hremeca, I think you should try to talk to the principal, calmly. It sounds like more perhaps went on than you have been told. Honestly, I think if your son had kept his cool, and just denied everything, along with having witnesses, it might not have escalated.

If the principal stands his ground, than let it go. Lesson learned by your son maybe a simple as life isn't always fair. it doesn't sound like a case for the courts, so just try to reason with the administration.
....has Mattie... I was very common given the situaton.. N i must say... unlike some parents not all I DO KNOW MY KIDS... n that would be something I KNOW HE wouldnt DO!..There was 5witnesses that told me n he tld the principal tht he DIDNT do that. He isnt a trouble maker at the school, has to much to loose n has worked very har to get to wher he is right now.He is an HonorROll student n strives for the best in what does, he is in an organization called I.M.P.A.C.T where h talks to differnt Legislators about Infant Immortality, He just Won the Young Writers Award. he does voluteer work in an elder home and at volunteer work as a cameraman at channel 45. WHY would he do anything ANYTHING like that to jeopardize his LIFE/Career (Dentistry) by doing that..(this situaton A LIE could hinder him from scholarships/ an acceptance n college) .. n that was what he was very upset about..N he bein gone to the school for 13yrs n worked hard for it.. n yes n speakin with the ADMINSTRATOR they were of course on his side.. N ur right LIFE isnt simple n can b unfair, but wrong is wrong and sometimes when people dnt address that and they keep gettin away with ABUSING AUTHORITY someone needs to do something!!!!!!!!!!!SEE sometimes until someone walks in the shoes of the victum.... the could only guess what one should do ..Thanks have a Bless day.. HAVE U EVER BEEN ACCUSED OF SOMETHING/ that it could chage your WHOLE life?

Old 04-03-2009, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emjbulls View Post
Thank you for bringing this up. It drives me absolutely bananas that the women offenders of students are not prosecuted to the same extent that male offenders of students are. Sex with a minor is wrong no matter who the perpetrator is.

thanks. Im really upset about the matter and feel hopeless...it was a student teacher i think she was 19 mayb 20 and they had a discussion in ADVISORY class discussin my SON and the situation n some of the teachers were sayin that My son needed to respect her because she is a teacher ..He is 17 n will be 18 this yr..ad some of the teacher that really really know my son stated they dnt BELIEVE he did that, I mean its not just a school to him its a second home(family) hes been there since KINDERGAREN 13yrs...

Old 04-03-2009, 10:26 PM

thanks. Im really upset about the matter and feel hopeless...it was a student teacher i think she was 19 mayb 20 and they had a discussion in ADVISORY class discussin my SON and the situation n some of the teachers were sayin that My son needed to respect her because she is a teacher ..He is 17 n will be 18 this yr..ad some of the teacher that really really know my son stated they dnt BELIEVE he did that, I mean its not just a school to him its a second home(family) hes been there since KINDERGAREN 13yrs...

Old 04-04-2009, 06:55 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times
So if a 15 year old girl willingly has an affair with her public school male teacher then people think he's a monster. But what if the 15 year old girl willingly has an affair with a female public school teacher (which does happen)? People watching the vagina monologs seem to think that's perfectly alright.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching