Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 04:16 AM

7,507 posts, read 4,400,032 times

Advertisements

To foreign students? So I am teaching English in Thailand for a month, and I am looking for some tips on how to make my teaching effectively. The bad part about this is that I was not prepared and did not bring any materials.

Anyway, this is my first time teaching English and today was my first day. I was not sure where are the students in their English so I taught ABC's, A is for apple. They give me a schedule, and I have the options to teach from 1st graders to 6th graders. I am definitely sure that I am teaching 4th graders.

I tried to google for tips on what to teach, not how to teach foreign students but I kept getting tips on how to teach. I was told by a certified English Teacher to avoid grammar and focus on other areas like "How are you?" or "I'm hungry".

Also, is it better to have all the students repeat after you instead of having them to repeat after you one by one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2011, 05:15 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
like with the best saturation programs...material they are already familiar with

from wiki:
Literature in Thailand is heavily influenced by Indian Hindu culture.
Thailand is nearly 95% Theravada Buddhist

as for specific selections?
whatever you can find multiple copies of on short notice

Old 05-27-2011, 10:20 AM

3,763 posts, read 8,753,765 times
I teach English as a Second Language in an ESL school. What we use is lots of songs. Google songs like "Head & Shoulders, Knees & Toes," "Ants Go Marching" & "The Hokey Pokey" which teach body & directional words.

Play lots of games. Make them up to teach directional words. For example "Put the red _____ on top of the box. Put the blue ________ in the box. Put the yellow ________ next to the box" Improvise with whatever objects you can collect to teach the directional words: in, on, over, under, next to, beside, etc. You are then also teaching the names of the objects. Acting things out really help kids learn the language.

Songs & acting out make for a safe way for children to practice the language. It's pretty intimidating to have to say something alone.

You can print off picture worksheets or draw your own & then with crayons have them put a red X next to the _______; blue circle in the_______; yellow square on the _________; purple triangle above the _________ to teach colors & shapes.

Act out everything you teach. Show & use models. Don't just lecture.

Have the children do line-ups by height (tallest to shortest); by first letter of name (ABC order); later when you learn the translation of months by month of birthday (have month order on board).

Make lots of picture cards. Print them off the web for simple words: cat, dog, horse, house, street, tree, flower etc. Print & attach labels. Make up games to go with the labeled cards. (The cat goes into the corner of the room.) Have children act out. (The cat climbs the tree) Label everything in your classroom (desk, clock, board, etc.)

Hopefully, others will chime in with other great ESL songs & games.

Make it fun for the kids & fun for you!

Old 05-27-2011, 11:44 AM

4,483 posts, read 9,294,617 times
Nouns: animals (fun because you can make the sounds), body parts, objects in the classroom, people (man, woman, teacher, child, mother, doctor, etc.)
Verbs to go with the above
Some basic prepositions
Sentences: The cat jumps over the book. The boy gives the pencil to the girl. These can be acted out.

Numbers to ten: Two horses jump . . . . Three horses jump, . . .

Most of the time have all of the children repeat after you. Sometimes have individuals do so. Also have small groups (3-5 kids) repeat after you.

Old 05-27-2011, 09:57 PM

Thanks. I will definitely do some printing this week.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:49 PM

6,326 posts, read 6,592,679 times
Teach them how to read/listen English without translating word by word, sentence by sentence. Teach them how to read and gradually grasp meaning first without excessive translations, and then without translation, it will snow ball from there. If they will keep on "translating" instead of grasping the meaning of text/speech in English most likely they will never learn the language, any new language. Translation is not only tedious, it's boring and time consuming, it discourages great many. Sure they must have some basics ready to start "snowballing" reading/speech comprehension without translation, but one doesn't need to know much to start snowball of comprehension without excessive translation rolling.

Old 05-27-2011, 11:28 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,780,709 times
In case they didn't tell you; you need a work permit, even to volunteer in Thailand. For English, try role playing street food transactions--they are all very familiar with that, as the thais eat out more than any other nationality. Counting is a good place to start.

Old 05-28-2011, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
In case they didn't tell you; you need a work permit, even to volunteer in Thailand. For English, try role playing street food transactions--they are all very familiar with that, as the thais eat out more than any other nationality. Counting is a good place to start.
Work permit? I'm not sure...They didn't ask me for one when I started coming there.

Old 05-28-2011, 08:04 AM

430 posts, read 919,430 times
1. Do an Assessment of the students' English Level
2. Define objectives (is the focus oral English or written English or both?)

Frankly, you shouldn't teach English grammar. I would have written "Tips on what to teach (English)" for
your "Tips on what to teach English...", it sound awkward, is English your first language?

Old 05-29-2011, 06:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justme2010 View Post
1. Do an Assessment of the students' English Level
2. Define objectives (is the focus oral English or written English or both?)

Frankly, you shouldn't teach English grammar. I would have written "Tips on what to teach (English)" for
your "Tips on what to teach English...", it sound awkward, is English your first language?
No...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching