Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2011, 08:55 AM

66 posts, read 98,647 times

Advertisements

I teach in a small K-8 school, (roughly 100 students). I'm the 5/6 teacher. It's a pretty rough school as far as motivating students. We are a bout 95% free and reduced lunch, serve two reservations and have a lot of transient students with a few highly motivated but frustrated students. The top students don't get the learning they would like because of having to move ahead so slowly as a class or disruptive behavior that is ignored by the office. Parents will ignore phone calls, mail, etc.
I've taught for quite awhile and it gets harder and harder to get pumped up for the new year to start.
Looking for ideas to help motivate and create a better learning environment for all of my students.
Seating, bulletin boards, homework, lunches, instruction...
I'd love to hear from any and all.
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 09:56 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Here's something to ponder over...the link was sent to me and all I have done is read over the site and watched the videos. Haven't seen it in a real classroom though. It's called "Whole Brain Teaching". There's also a forum.

New FREE Ebook from WBT!!!

Old 07-25-2011, 11:14 AM

66 posts, read 98,647 times
WBT, at a glance, seems to be mainly for the younger set. Would it be usable for 6th, do you think?

Old 07-25-2011, 11:20 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by handyfolks View Post
WBT, at a glance, seems to be mainly for the younger set. Would it be usable for 6th, do you think?
There's videos for it being used both in 6th grade and in college.
You have to register (free) though to watch the videos.

Videos

Old 07-25-2011, 05:39 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,921,959 times
Since you mention serving reservations are you bringing in any of the Native American culture and resources? That might motivate some of your students and there is lots of interesting literature.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:29 AM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Do a gradewide project on something very hands on. Here in NJ at some of the Newark middle schools they have had great success engaging students in grade wide projects like redesigning the school grounds to be a better natural habitat. Making simple drawings of the school, finding area of the grounds, making a budget etc, can be useful in math and includes everything from basic geometry to algebra. Technical reading as a skill can be learned by using resources on rain gardens, gardening, species identification keys. Formal communication skills can be learned by having the children write, revise and critique each others letters to local businesses looking for donations of supplies. History of agriculture and immigration (since so many immigrants bring in invasive or exotic species) was used in Newark as well. The skills and knowledge base gained for science are too long to list here.

The Newark kids were engaged from the get go as even the most disenfranchised kids were eager to get out of the classroom. The top level kids inherently gravitated to the leadership roles with more responsibility and had higher end challenges than the lower performing students.

It is a ridiculous amount of work for you. But it can be very rewarding. I know firsthand, I do yearlong projects with my students every year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching