Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2012, 07:24 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
The sick/pto issue can be very regional.

Missouri does not allow teachers to get PTO, only sick days or unpaid time off. Sick days are generally extremely limited. For example, in my wife's district, you get 3 sick days per year, no careover, before you can be terminated (generally if you have less than 5 years, you are terminated). Any non-sick day you missed is deducted from your sick days, but without pay. If you reach 10 days for any reason, the school docks you the sub's pay (much higher than your own) for each day. If your docked pay exceeds your actual pay, you are terminated. You must have a doctors note; and districts will use that extremely strictly. For example, my wife had a recruitment day where the middle schools toured the elementary schools for a day playing concerts. Though this counted as her contract day at the middle school, it counted as an absence at the high school and she was docked a half day of pay and half a sick day.

It might also be fair to include state mandated continuing education (outside of contract hours). Missouri is on the low end with only 2.5 days per year, but some states supposedly go up to 10 days per year or higher. Some professions, like engineers, also have such state mandated continuing education requirements, but the vast majority of public sector careers do not. Of course many employers mandate unpaided continuing education, but that is a very different situation from a state mandate necessary to continue in the career field at all.
Wow. That is strict.

I wasn't even sure what PTO meant. Does he mean things like having 5 days off at christmas break? Or is it taking days off even without being sick?

We do not get the latter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2012, 07:26 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
There are no mandatory obligations outside of the contracted day besides those laid out in our contracts. Things like office hours/ extra help, marking period conferences, open houses, etc are all in the contract. Coaching and clubs are not.

I have no idea how a school could force people to be coaches. I coach two academic teams by choice. They typically include trips to regionals and nationals outside not just the school day but also the school year (two of the trips are week long in the summer). Most teachers I know HAVE to work full time in the summer. Wouldn't that just result in coaches who have no vested interest in success?
Charter and private schools can. In public it would depend on what the union negotiated. Seriously, if they told me I had to sponsor after school clubs, I'd have to change subjects. I spend my afternoons setting up labs, cleaning up after labs and handling chemical waste. If they want me hosting clubs, I need a non lab based subject to teach.

I have a friend who works for a private school who has to do two after school activities per year. She coaches track and cross country but her pay is great and her workload reasonable so that's a small trade off. She teaches chemistry and phyics. Her school gives a prep hour for every subject you teach so she gets two prep hours. Her class sizes are also capped at 18.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:36 PM

4,677 posts, read 5,769,111 times
Quote:
I have no idea how a school could force people to be coaches.... Wouldn't that just result in coaches who have no vested interest in success?
Like Ivorytickler guessed, it is in the contract. Since the mandatory unpaid coaches are -not- the head coaches, if they do a lackluster job the head coach will make their life a living hell.
Missouri is a non-union state for teachers (except for st louis city and kansas city). The teachers get a bargaining union recognized by the district, which includes administrators as members. This puts the district in a strong bargaining position, and they normally go for the throat then back off to requirements like this.
As an example, one of the districts opening positions last year in my wife's district was that teachers would be barred at all hours from any establishment inside district boundaries with a liquor license (including grocery stores) and could not enter any restaurant in district boundaries during school hours. They specifically did this because the middle school teachers had a weekly weekend gathering at a new brewery inside the district. Another one of their opening positions was that teachers would be required to turn over the passwords to all social media and email accounts. Believe it or not, the district is still trying to get this one passed as as district policy instead of a contract clause.

Old 03-01-2012, 07:45 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I work part time. The only time I post at work is at lunch, on my own time. I'm just asking.
You might want to assume that others have similar situations. It's a silly question.

Old 03-01-2012, 08:17 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,322,548 times
Quote:
Wow. That is strict.

I wasn't even sure what PTO meant. Does he mean things like having 5 days off at christmas break? Or is it taking days off even without being sick?

We do not get the latter.
Who would know?

Old 03-01-2012, 09:07 PM

1,230 posts, read 3,176,717 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You are mistaken. You are not hired with a "yearly salary". You are hired for xxx number of days and paid for those "days" (average is about 187 days).

You get hired for summer school and paid for that separately.

You obviously missed my point.

Old 03-01-2012, 09:41 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times
Oh pleeeez!

I LIKED my teachers in school. My father was a teacher before he realized he made more money in construction than teaching. My grandmother went to Slippery Rock and taught until my mother was born. My grandmother also was a librarian. My aunts and several cousins are/were teachers.

All my experiences with teachers have been positive, until I became a parent. i'm not goint to re-hash my experiences again. Seems many are very interested in my posts, so, go look them up if you care to. Its just that as a parent, I have felt harassed, demeaned, and bullied. I wish teachers would realized the parent is part of the child's school experiences, not the scapegoat for all the things that go wrong. Try working with the parent, for the benefit of the child.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:14 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,409,201 times
Oh, and please, keep the gripping about the job to those who are in a position to appreciate it. Like a few summers ago, we squeezed in a family vacation. My dh did NOT get any PTO, whatever you call it, vacation, etc. We went in 2 vehicles, he had to return that Sunday night for work Monday. meanwhile the kids and I contined to squeeze in what vacation we could.
We met a lady at the pool in our hotel who kept complaining she was a teacher, and she only got 6 weeks vacation, she didn't get the 10 weeks like the kids

WTH was I supposed to say? that my dh had to leave in a few hours to get back for work because he didn't get ANY vacation? That's the real world, we weren't complaining to her, but expected to listen to her complain to us! Oh, and she got medical, etc, at the time we were carrying cobra and probably spending more on cobra payments than she made, raiding our retirement just to stay insured

Old 03-01-2012, 10:42 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,321,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Oh pleeeez!

I LIKED my teachers in school. My father was a teacher before he realized he made more money in construction than teaching. My grandmother went to Slippery Rock and taught until my mother was born. My grandmother also was a librarian. My aunts and several cousins are/were teachers.

All my experiences with teachers have been positive, until I became a parent. i'm not goint to re-hash my experiences again. Seems many are very interested in my posts, so, go look them up if you care to. Its just that as a parent, I have felt harassed, demeaned, and bullied. I wish teachers would realized the parent is part of the child's school experiences, not the scapegoat for all the things that go wrong. Try working with the parent, for the benefit of the child.
So, are you homeschooling yet? If I felt "harassed, demeaned, and bullied" I would be OUT of my local school and into a private school or homeschool.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:36 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,803,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marigolds6 View Post
Like Ivorytickler guessed, it is in the contract. Since the mandatory unpaid coaches are -not- the head coaches, if they do a lackluster job the head coach will make their life a living hell.
Missouri is a non-union state for teachers (except for st louis city and kansas city). The teachers get a bargaining union recognized by the district, which includes administrators as members. This puts the district in a strong bargaining position, and they normally go for the throat then back off to requirements like this.
As an example, one of the districts opening positions last year in my wife's district was that teachers would be barred at all hours from any establishment inside district boundaries with a liquor license (including grocery stores) and could not enter any restaurant in district boundaries during school hours. They specifically did this because the middle school teachers had a weekly weekend gathering at a new brewery inside the district. Another one of their opening positions was that teachers would be required to turn over the passwords to all social media and email accounts. Believe it or not, the district is still trying to get this one passed as as district policy instead of a contract clause.
This is ridiculous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching