Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2012, 06:56 PM

17 posts, read 53,464 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone,

I'm set to graduate in May with my degree in History Education from a college in upstate New York. I was constantly led to believe going into this that teachers were in demand. When the economy slumped, layoffs came, but those are only temporary right?

Throughout college, professors have said "There will always be a need for teachers." some said that "teaching is getting hard to get into" but none went into much detail. Many of the other students in my classes, some older, were drawn to teaching from other careers and stated that there are supposed to be tons of teachers retiring in the coming years.

A little while ago, I did a Google search after one of my cooperating teachers made comments about the job market. People on the internet say that the demand for teachers is diminishing, badly in the Northeast.

I'm about to graduate from a state school that pumps out teachers like you wouldn't believe. If anyone is familiar with colleges in NY, you can probably guess what school I'm talking about.

Most of my classmates wanted to teach History/English, that should have been a tip off to what to expect, but apparently I missed the signals. Now, with graduation a short time away, I'm basically panicking wondering if I have any prospects of a job.

So, are there jobs for history teachers in New York State? It seems like I can't get a concrete answer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2012, 07:41 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,730,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftingthrough View Post
Hey everyone,

I'm set to graduate in May with my degree in History Education from a college in upstate New York. I was constantly led to believe going into this that teachers were in demand. When the economy slumped, layoffs came, but those are only temporary right?

Throughout college, professors have said "There will always be a need for teachers." some said that "teaching is getting hard to get into" but none went into much detail. Many of the other students in my classes, some older, were drawn to teaching from other careers and stated that there are supposed to be tons of teachers retiring in the coming years.

A little while ago, I did a Google search after one of my cooperating teachers made comments about the job market. People on the internet say that the demand for teachers is diminishing, badly in the Northeast.

I'm about to graduate from a state school that pumps out teachers like you wouldn't believe. If anyone is familiar with colleges in NY, you can probably guess what school I'm talking about.

Most of my classmates wanted to teach History/English, that should have been a tip off to what to expect, but apparently I missed the signals. Now, with graduation a short time away, I'm basically panicking wondering if I have any prospects of a job.

So, are there jobs for history teachers in New York State? It seems like I can't get a concrete answer.
Not a lot of them. And this is NOT news in anyway. In this area there have been small numbers of jobs for history and english teachers for 10 years. The only high need areas in the NE had been math and science and even that has been filled for a couple of years now. Really all you needed to do was ask around and anyone could have told you that history and english have a glut of applicants.

Sort of lesson about looking before you leap isn't it?

Old 04-09-2012, 08:12 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,318,969 times
Are you able to move?

Old 04-09-2012, 08:22 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,731,744 times
The job market everywhere is very rough for teachers. History and English are the most competitive of all. 5 years ago, you could easily obtain a job in the south. This is no longer the case.
From what I understand, the rural western United States is the easiest place to land a job (the Dakotas, Nebraska, Kansas, etc...)

Old 04-11-2012, 08:45 AM

17 posts, read 53,464 times
Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Are you able to move?
Yes, I'm willing to move at this point. The only thing that would hold me back is getting licensed in other states.

Is the outlook for history teachers any better in states like NC? Sadly, I'm guessing not, just like what was said before?

Old 04-11-2012, 03:17 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,318,969 times
Quote:
Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

Yes, I'm willing to move at this point. The only thing that would hold me back is getting licensed in other states.

Is the outlook for history teachers any better in states like NC? Sadly, I'm guessing not, just like what was said before?
I sent you a direct msg.

Old 04-11-2012, 09:44 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,731,744 times
It is easy to transfer a license to NC, but the market is over-saturated. I have friends teaching in 12 different states. It is early in the hiring season, but Kansas has the best job market for teachers right now.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:43 PM

809 posts, read 1,330,942 times
google teaching jobs in NC - there is a website for all districts and tells what jobs are available. I'm sure you can do the same for other states. It will just be time consuming.
As far as your college professors promoting teaching- what can I say? It's in the news on a daily basis about the teaching situation. Have the students (or professors) read newspapers, watched TV etc. This is nothing new. There was a teacher fair at one of the state schools in Penna. a few weeks ago - several students were hired on the spot for Alaska. Other than that - there was not much available.

Old 04-13-2012, 03:37 AM

2,309 posts, read 3,850,135 times
Quote:
Hey everyone,

predicting teaching jobs in the last decade and a half has become riskier than actually gambling on the strip.

my dad who is a district administrator back in the late 90s told me directly NOT to go into areas like PE as those jobs were going to be wiped out in a matter of years. wrong! PE jobs are everywehre and where i teach now South Carolina they are very prevalent.

when i first started teaching down in the south after college everyone would always say oh you can come back in a year or two b/c everyone is starting to retire. wrong!!! and yet i still hear this same prediction each year. was told it in fact last week that "you watch the flood gates are gonna open back up in the midwest for teachers because they're all retiring". ummmmm wrong?

teaching jobs are out there just NOT in the midwest or Northeast.

people in higher edu will make job predictions from now until the end of time about oh just you wait theres gonna be a ton of teaching jobs soon but the reality of it is is that they have no clue.

yes older teachers may be retiring but in a lot of cases once that person retires the district will simply cut that job. i know my dad's district once he retires is simply going to eliminate his position rather than fill it. because really in the last few years it's become a job not worth staffing but they keep him on to cover other job roles they cut years ago.

Old 04-13-2012, 03:42 AM

2,309 posts, read 3,850,135 times
best options for employment - central plains / rocky mountains and southwest.

10 years ago the Southeast was a place where even just a BA with no license would get you a teaching job. now the market as someone pointed out in places like georgia, south carolina and north carolina while still in demand for teachers is NOT what it once was.

Utah seems to be doing a lot of hiring as is texas in my experience. Oklahoma as well and arkansas are up there. don't really know much about kansas or the dakotas.

a few years ago someone told me that wyoming was gonna be the next hot sopt for teacher recruitment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching