Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 12:14 AM

131 posts, read 282,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie5v View Post
Also interesting to note that African immigrants achieve at higher levels than African American students.
Marie...you are absolutely right. Good post!!! That immigrant normally has hell to go back to, so they are more driven. Not to mention, they haven't faced the systemic bigotry that sickened our society for years. But not all of them come here and prosper. My point is that the effects of slavery, injustice, and racism is the likely the root of the achievement gap. As our society continues to improve and more opportunity is given, the black family will taste the fruits of achievement and prosper a bit more. Jeffrey Canady found a blueprint that works and is spreading that. All in all your are more likely to prosper if you have educated parents, which takes me back to my original post(1 maybe 2 generations removed from cruelty and bigotry that kept us from being educated).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2013, 12:22 AM

131 posts, read 282,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Maybe the big thinkers in education think if we overcompensate in other areas that it will make up for parental involvement/influence ?

There is no government program that can fix parenting.
So true. However, I think if we educate and nuture some of these kids, that they'll start to break the cycle. The achievement gap will eventually close as a matter of inevitability, unfortunately so many will be lost and fall to the wayside before that gap is closed. Quote me on this one...."You can never teach someone something that you don't know".

Old 04-28-2013, 02:24 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,281,848 times
Socioeconomic differences account for about half of the black-white achievement gap. There is still a significant gap AFTER adjusting for socioeconomic status.
---> Duncan, G. & Magnuson, K. "Can Family Socioeconomic Resources Account for Racial and Ethnic Test Score Gaps?"

Also, see "Rich, Black, Flunking" by Susan Goldsmith in the East Bay Express.
It's about Prof John Ogbu's famous study of rich black students in Shaker Heights, Ohio, which resulted in his excellent book Black American Students in an Affluent Suburb: A Study of Academic Disengagement:

Quote:
UC Berkeley Anthropology Professor John Ogbu had spent decades studying how the members of different ethnic groups perform academically...A group of [black] parents hungry for solutions convinced the school district to join with them and formally invite the black anthropologist to visit Shaker Heights...

...Their project yielded an unexpected conclusion: It wasn't socioeconomics, school funding, or racism, that accounted for the students' poor academic performance; it was their own attitudes, and those of their parents.

Last edited by LOL_Whut; 04-28-2013 at 02:34 PM..

Old 04-28-2013, 05:40 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
There is only one school system that does not have that achievement gap: Department of Defense Dependent Schools (DoDS) My opinion why? Because culture identification based on belonging to the military community is more important to the family members, as well as the service member, than their identification based on race. Rank is more important in establishing peer groups and acceptable associations than just race. Our social group is fellow officer families first, although we do tend to establish closer ties with fellow black families within that group. The attitudes we raised our child with were those exemplified by the officer corp of the Army. Ogbu is right, it is about attitudes.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:20 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
There is only one school system that does not have that achievement gap: Department of Defense Dependent Schools (DoDS) My opinion why? Because culture identification based on belonging to the military community is more important to the family members, as well as the service member, than their identification based on race. Rank is more important in establishing peer groups and acceptable associations than just race. Our social group is fellow officer families first, although we do tend to establish closer ties with fellow black families within that group. The attitudes we raised our child with were those exemplified by the officer corp of the Army. Ogbu is right, it is about attitudes.
That is very interesting. I've long said that the real issue in education is the attitude of the learner.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:30 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Here is what creates the REAL achievement gap---

Here’s a fact that may not surprise you: the children of the rich perform better in school, on average, than children from middle-class or poor families. Students growing up in richer families have better grades and higher standardized test scores, on average, than poorer students; they also have higher rates of participation in extracurricular activities and school leadership positions, higher graduation rates and higher rates of college enrollment and completion.

It is and has NEVER been a RACIAL gap, it has always been a WEALTH gap.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:56 PM

582 posts, read 1,119,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_Whut View Post
Also, see "Rich, Black, Flunking" by Susan Goldsmith in the East Bay Express.
It's about Prof John Ogbu's famous study of rich black students in Shaker Heights, Ohio, which resulted in his excellent book Black American Students in an Affluent Suburb: A Study of Academic Disengagement:
...Their project yielded an unexpected conclusion: It wasn't socioeconomics, school funding, or racism, that accounted for the students' poor academic performance; it was their own attitudes, and those of their parents.

I'm not surprised. I see it with my nieces and nephews. Very few of them get A's and B's. Most of them get C's and below. I always compliment the few who get A's and B's, but I also challenge those with C's, D's and F's to aim higher.

I even tutor them while I'm there; they hate it (two of them actually cried, but since they weren't crying blood, the tutoring continued ), but I've told them repeatedly that my tutoring is a necessary evil they'll have to endure until they become A/B students.

Old 04-28-2013, 06:57 PM

4,386 posts, read 4,238,175 times
Here's a timely article about the issue from today's New York Times:

No Rich Child Left Behind

Old 04-28-2013, 07:22 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,445,216 times
The study in the op goes along with my long held observations. It is even apparent here in C-D. Attitude, attitude and attitude. They do it to themselves in many instances.

Old 04-28-2013, 07:27 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
Here's a timely article about the issue from today's New York Times:

No Rich Child Left Behind
Very interesting article but I have to take umbrage with his solutions. The government will never be able to spend enough money or create enough programs to equalize parenting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching