Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2013, 11:42 PM

43,663 posts, read 44,406,521 times

Advertisements

I know several people that started teaching above the age of 30 and nobody ever mentioned feeling different than their younger colleagues.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2013, 05:38 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
I definitely feel a disconnect with some coworkers who are 10+ years younger than I am, but that's not a teaching thing, it's a generational thing in general, and would be the case regardless of field. And it's not the case with all younger coworkers, it's a on a person-to-person basis.

As far as other positions that I would consider to be more family-friendly/conducive to drawing up consistent boundaries regarding work-life balance (because that's what we're really talking about, here), the main thing for me is the expectation that a significant amount of work will consistently be done outside of the regular workday. Any job where you are not routinely expected to take work home when you are "off the clock" is going to be much more conducive to work-life balance/boundary-setting. The only job I've had that was worse about this than teaching was print journalism, because I was essentially never off the clock. It was regular office hours, plus being on-call as needed. At least with teaching, the work I do off the clock can be done at home, and doesn't necessitate driving all over or going into an office at random evening and weekend times.

I don't have kids, but when I do, I am NOT going to be interested in the time I have to be with them being infringed upon by mandatory time spent doing prep work and writing IEP goals and objectives, simply because the administration factors in time for neither required task into my workday, and has begun considering it take-home work.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:18 PM

282 posts, read 298,348 times
I was employed in good job,however i decided to leave it then i got another one but really i was treated as a starter despite the experience I got. now I applied to an academic job in govrn and I am haunted with ideas of being older than a fresh teacher awh.

Old 04-18-2013, 03:26 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
It's also worth mentioning that different districts, different schools, different administrators, etc. may differ wildly in how they treat "nontraditional" new teachers.

Some places will really value the prior life and professional experience of a career-changer teacher (one of the best teachers I've known was a woman who started teaching HS English in her midforties after having done the Peace Corps abroad and who ended up staying in the country she volunteered in doing aid work). Other places might be places where a largely age-ist, condescending attitude toward older beginning teachers is the norm. It says a lot about the overall atmosphere and attitudes fostered, usually from the top down.

Old 04-18-2013, 09:47 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,709,490 times
I think it depends on your location. I don't feel comfortable sharing my experiences on this open board, but if you would like, I'll tell you in a DM.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:44 AM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,732,892 times
I was 42 when I started. Taught two years, lured to business with offer I could not refuse, got disgusted with business and returned at 54.

Liked being around "hot" young teachers, no problem. Just kidding.

I am basically a 13 year old, so I did not mind age difference one bit with other teachers, and the students, were, well, my people.

Being older, I had self confidence and experience where I do not put up with anything, something young teachers CAN'T have to the level of older ones.

Most of all, my daughters were past 13 so I had seen the 'hate look' and all that.

I don't see how young teachers, who have not had kids the age they teach, do it.

IMHO, starting as older teacher has 100% advantage.

My time management skills had been honed by 30+ years of business. Did not find planning etc, 3 preps first year, much of a challenge.

Good luck.

Old 05-12-2013, 05:41 PM

442 posts, read 1,078,088 times
Going into teaching in your thirties isn't any big deal because age discrimination doesn't really hit until later on, especially if you are over 50.

It was that way in Nevada, where I taught.

Now in southern Oregon, where I am substituting, jobs are extremely hard to come by for the simple reason there are MANY older teachers who CANNOT afford to retire; therefore, there are few openings.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:24 PM

26,498 posts, read 15,079,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me 82 View Post
If so, what was your experience like? Did you feel old considering most other teachers your age may have 10 years or so on you? Did you have a problem getting a job? Did you have a family already or little ones at home and have a problem balancing family and work? I know as a first year teacher the amount of planning that goes into it and that you bring much of your work home with you. So, what were your experiences like?
I started teaching after college. However, we recently hired a guy in his 50s. He seems to do just fine. My brother in law started teaching in his late 30s.

I think some schools prefer it for the following reasons:

1) Likely more maturity than a 23 year old.

2) More life experiences to impress upon the kids.

3) Pay you at the bottom of the pay scale since you are just starting.

4) Less likely to change careers or move away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching