Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 06:57 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
This IS a thread hijack the OP is not that all teachers deserve tenure. The OP is that this specific teacher believes she will lose her ability to find ANOTHER teaching job due to being denied tenure.
Yup. Deserved or not, I'm done. I can't decide whether to try and fight to keep my job by lowering my standards, cutting content and making A's and passes easier or stand my ground because there's a 99% chance I'm being denied tenure anyway. I'm leaning towards the latter. If it's my last year teaching, I might as well make it my best even if my principal will never see what I'm doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 10:18 AM

1,889 posts, read 3,112,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by my54ford View Post
With no intention of high jacking the thread I will respond....Why should the Teaching profession be the only one that has tenure? Why are you so special. For the most part I don't think the majority of you could do my job and without my profession you couldn't do yours.....As I said I myself am a public employee in an industry that has as much or more"public" exposure than that of Teachers. The big difference is that no TAX dollars pay my wage but still I can almost guarantee you that people who get fired from one Public Utility will never work for another one, not without moving to another state that’s for sure...So please get off the high horse! You people are no better than the rest of us and it would improve public perception of your trade if you gave up the pissing and moaning...
Oh and BTW my wife of 24 yrs is a Kindergarden Para so I am well versed in your supposed delimma...
I'm not necessarily arguing for tenure. I'm arguing against how messed up the system is at it stands now. You can remove tenure as an option. But then don't allow schools to lay off teachers with no reason given, yet their careers are essentially over. The difference between the teaching profession and all others I know of is what happens to the person denied tenure. Instead of merely having to find a new job, the person has to find a new career. All after very likely never being given a reason for tenure denial.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:21 AM

1,889 posts, read 3,112,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
However it is ASSUMED that there were issues or else they would have kept you. In industry, you're guilty only if you are fired with cause. In teaching, you're guilty without anyone showing cause. It's a different game.

When you look at the data, I am as effective as the other teachers teaching my subjects. However, I'm not the preferred teacher. As a result, I will be let go spite of my teaching methods being effective. Unfortunately, once tenure is denied, the ASSUMPTION will be that I was ineffective as a teacher. Unfortunately, I have PR's that read that way because my principal doesn't want me to stay. He leaves out anything good. My problem is that he doesn't like me but no potential employer will even give me the chance to explain that and even if I did, it sounds so petty that they'll just think I'm a whiner. The assumption is my principal was right and there is nothing I can do to live that down. Leaving industry they're either going to give cause or call it a downsizing. Being dismissed due to a downsizing isn't a career killer. Being dismissed with cause can be but's your fault for giving them cause. My mistake in teaching was not realizing that this is a popularity contest. If I'd given more A's and passed a few more students I'd be ok. My problem is I don't give A's and passes. I expect my students to EARN A's and passes.
Yep.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:32 AM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
If you are teaching next year, that is an opportunity to reform, and keep your job. I suggest you call your supervisor, request a meeting, bring in a notebook, tell him how much you love your job, and also for guidance and assistance to improve and be a better part of the educational team at this school, say how committed you are to teaching and you would like to have a plan, with monthly meetings with him, to discuss his expectations and make sure you are meeting his standards. You are requesting additional mentoring, and a performance improvement plan, so you know the areas you need to work on.

This has two purposes, if you really dislike him, and he dislikes you, it is quite fun to mess with people like that, it puts them off balance, after all, he can hardly refuse.

And maybe you can salvage your job, if you correct your attitude, you know what they want, so do it. Holding onto your ''ethics'', of high standards, blah, blah whatever, that is great, now, reality, if you need this job, and at your age, finding a good job is not easy. I suggest you swallow it all, and take a critical look at reality. You can probably save your job. After all, if they wanted you gone, you would be filing for UI now. They are giving you another chance, so, this is worth considering. Pouting, a woe is me attitude, and continuing to lament how persecuted you are is not to your advantage here.

Re evaluate, re frame, re group, and make some positive changes to be a teacher they want to keep. All is not lost here, it depends on your behavior and attitude.

Old 07-11-2013, 12:20 PM

4,868 posts, read 6,929,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
If you are teaching next year, that is an opportunity to reform, and keep your job. I suggest you call your supervisor, request a meeting, bring in a notebook, tell him how much you love your job, and also for guidance and assistance to improve and be a better part of the educational team at this school, say how committed you are to teaching and you would like to have a plan, with monthly meetings with him, to discuss his expectations and make sure you are meeting his standards. You are requesting additional mentoring, and a performance improvement plan, so you know the areas you need to work on.

This has two purposes, if you really dislike him, and he dislikes you, it is quite fun to mess with people like that, it puts them off balance, after all, he can hardly refuse.

And maybe you can salvage your job, if you correct your attitude, you know what they want, so do it. Holding onto your ''ethics'', of high standards, blah, blah whatever, that is great, now, reality, if you need this job, and at your age, finding a good job is not easy. I suggest you swallow it all, and take a critical look at reality. You can probably save your job. After all, if they wanted you gone, you would be filing for UI now. They are giving you another chance, so, this is worth considering. Pouting, a woe is me attitude, and continuing to lament how persecuted you are is not to your advantage here.

Re evaluate, re frame, re group, and make some positive changes to be a teacher they want to keep. All is not lost here, it depends on your behavior and attitude.
Great suggestion. Let the bastard squirm a little. It's easy sending out e-mails like he did. Make him HAVE to be a manager. Put him to work documenting. This also shows that you're the one that's proactive and ready to do all that's necessary to improve the education of the school's students. If he refuses your request for monthly meetings and and ongoing documented plans, it will only make him look bad. Any refusal on his part benefits you. If he makes no effort, THIS is something that can be brought to the school board of if there's a Superintendent above him.

Old 07-11-2013, 12:45 PM

18,836 posts, read 37,368,760 times
Excellent! A nice fat, loaded paperwork trail. Request meetings via email, send requests for feedback, and keep the paperwork.

A supervisor where I work was terminated for blowing off employees, cancelling meetings, denying requests for supervision.

Old 07-11-2013, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmgg View Post
Great suggestion. Let the bastard squirm a little. It's easy sending out e-mails like he did. Make him HAVE to be a manager. Put him to work documenting. This also shows that you're the one that's proactive and ready to do all that's necessary to improve the education of the school's students. If he refuses your request for monthly meetings and and ongoing documented plans, it will only make him look bad. Any refusal on his part benefits you. If he makes no effort, THIS is something that can be brought to the school board of if there's a Superintendent above him.
And this could actually be fun. I've done it before. Only last time it was with a supervisor who really did have his version of what was best for me at heart. This guy just wants me gone. And he's correct. Short of parents requesting their kids into my classroom next year, nothing will save my job but this could be worth just the entertainment value.

Old 07-11-2013, 01:44 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:

This is excellent!!!

Old 07-11-2013, 02:02 PM

4,868 posts, read 6,929,879 times
As it was so eloquently spoken on Animal House, "don't get mad, get even."

Old 07-11-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:

While I like the idea of messing with his head, the real issue here is that my principal is the person who wants me gone. The union think that he just didn't make his case and they're sure he will try again next year. He's the enemy. It's a good plan and it will be entertaining but, most likely, it will not work. No one believes he's giving me second chance of his own free will.

The union has already advised pretty much what you advise here. Document, document, document. This will make it difficult on him but he does hold the aces and if he wants me gone I will be gone. Next year is his last shot and I'm sure he'll make it a good one which is why I'm apprehensive about going back. I know there's a target on my back. Every parent/student complaint will be documented. Every mistake I make case in cement. He told me at my PR that should I return he will have no choice but to dot the i's and cross the t's to make sure I don't tenure. It's out of his hands you see... He's just doing what has to be done. Seriously, if that really was the case, the school board would not have invited me back next year. The union thinks he's blowing smoke hoping I'll find another job and he won't have to cross those t's and dot those i's in his bid to make sure I don't tenure.

Still it will be fun messing with his head. I have to figure out how to make this VERY public. Make sure people above him know the lengths I'm going to to please the man. That's going to be the hard part. I can document everything but if no one who matters ever sees it, it's not going to do me any good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching