Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2013, 10:03 PM

6,657 posts, read 7,756,825 times

Advertisements

@Futuremauian

The truth is i do respect teachers, you have a hard job. Your responsible for helping educate, raise and babysit those kids. No easy task. I deal with trouble youth myself. To bad outside of your job you not the same outstanding person it takes to be a educator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2013, 09:03 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,832,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawaiian by heart View Post
@Futuremauian

The truth is i do respect teachers, you have a hard job. Your responsible for helping educate, raise and babysit those kids. No easy task. I deal with trouble youth myself. To bad outside of your job you not the same outstanding person it takes to be a educator.
My own personal stalker!

Old 11-04-2013, 12:00 PM

83 posts, read 150,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
CALSTRS (teachers) has been completely solvent throughout it's history. It's CALPERS which is always in the hole because they give out much more than they take in. Cops, COs, firemen, & public employees, don't contribute a dime to their own retirements. Teachers contribute 8% right off the top of our salaries, and our employer matches it with 8.5%. Until the financial collapse, our retirement system was considered a model for the rest of the country. Now, it too is in a bind, not because our retirement formula has become more generous, but because of poor investment returns, brought on by the financial crisis. In 40 more years it will begin deficit spending if things don't improve.
Politicians and investment bankers have tried repeatedly to get their hands on CALSTRS money (billions), promising great things if we give them our nest egg. We are expecting another attempt next year, using the ballot box to take away our pension savings. The public is resentful of our pension system, even though we pay for it. Obviously you are!

Wow, 8%. I have to contibute a lot more than that. Your definition of solvent is quite strange as well. It is in more than a bind:

Capitol Alert: California teachers pension fund faces $64 billion deficit

CALSTRS has to invest the money it takes in - as do all pension funds. How do you think they can even possibly begin to pay the extravagent benefits if the money does not grow? You see, the employer (the public) matches your contribution and pays your salary to begin with. It was NEVER your money to begin with.

Old 11-04-2013, 05:36 PM

6,384 posts, read 4,832,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by contiempo View Post
Wow, 8%. I have to contibute a lot more than that. Your definition of solvent is quite strange as well. It is in more than a bind:

Capitol Alert: California teachers pension fund faces $64 billion deficit

CALSTRS has to invest the money it takes in - as do all pension funds. How do you think they can even possibly begin to pay the extravagent benefits if the money does not grow? You see, the employer (the public) matches your contribution and pays your salary to begin with. It was NEVER your money to begin with.
So in your mind, teachers shouldn't be paid at all??? As I stated, STRS has been solvent throughout it's history (until now), and the retirement formula has not changed ever! The rate of return on investments is down for now. Because 75% of teachers are women, and most take time off to have children, the AVERAGE teacher retirement is less than $30,000 per year. Is that extravagant?
No doubt you would enjoy seeing us out collecting cans and bottles, or begging, when we are too old to function in a classroom. Your definition of fairness is quite strange as well!
Why not pick on City, County, State, and Federal workers, most of whom have a BETTER retirement formula than teachers? Many of them do not pay a single dime into their own retirement system. The difference is that if I earn the same pay as a cop, 8% of mine is taken, and he gets to keep all of his. Once again, I will have NO medical insurance after I retire, not even Medicare. Is that one of my extravagant benefit too?

Old 11-14-2013, 12:36 PM

12,776 posts, read 14,987,827 times
I'm not a teacher, but an SLP. Thankfully, the only paperwork I have to do over the weekend is if there's an upcoming IEP & I have to score assessments & type up reports. Thankfully, I only have about 10 of these to do per school year this year. Previously, I had about 50 kids on my caseload to do this kind of paperwork for throughout the year.

I don't really have to lesson plan, thank God.

Old 11-17-2013, 04:35 PM

90 posts, read 109,211 times
Friday night, sleep at 8 30 pm
Saturday, work out and correct papers.
Sunday, preparing classes

Old 11-22-2013, 01:28 PM

393 posts, read 409,521 times
Go to sleep by 9pm on Friday, sleep till 8 on sat, nap, do house chores, read a little, go to sleep at 9ish again, wake up depressed cause it's Sunday, nap, go to sleep at 9 again. Wake up in the middle of night depressed cause I have to go teach on Monday, and I'd rather kill myself. No kidding

Old 11-22-2013, 05:48 PM

1,243 posts, read 1,147,347 times
I'm in a $95/night (state rate/no tax) hotel room - paid for out of my own pocket - for the next two nights so I could take my academic team to a tournament out of town. Tomorrow's lunch for 8 hungry high school boys will be on me, so the kids could save some money - they had to pay for their rooms, as well. I will not get home until Sunday afternoon, in which I will make out three different tests for moday/tuesday for my classes before going on break.

Guess what my supplement is for being this coach?

No, go ahead and guess, please.

Right! Zip. Nada, zilch.

Old 11-22-2013, 05:51 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
My own personal stalker!
Don't you feel special?

Old 11-30-2013, 08:48 PM

3,158 posts, read 6,125,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krug View Post
Go to sleep by 9pm on Friday, sleep till 8 on sat, nap, do house chores, read a little, go to sleep at 9ish again, wake up depressed cause it's Sunday, nap, go to sleep at 9 again. Wake up in the middle of night depressed cause I have to go teach on Monday, and I'd rather kill myself. No kidding
Then it's time to stop teaching.

You don't want to be there. I bet the kids pick that up too.

Do yourself, your students, and the administration a favor and find another job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching