Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2013, 04:09 PM
LLN

5,265 posts, read 10,732,892 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Teaching less is the popular method now.
Group work, group learning and you are just the facilitator.
The guide on the side not the sage on the stage. Emphasis, rightly so, is on problem solving. Students can't solve problems with the teacher pontificating! There is a very small " sweet spot."

Great teachers find it. Yeoman can't!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2013, 04:29 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLN View Post
The guide on the side not the sage on the stage. Emphasis, rightly so, is on problem solving. Students can't solve problems with the teacher pontificating! There is a very small " sweet spot."

Great teachers find it. Yeoman can't!
The problem is they have to know a lot of chemistry before I can stand aside. It's much easier to stand aside in a class like physics where kids can see what is happening. Much of chemistry has to be visualized from theory. I don't find that something kids do naturally. I love the physics portion of physical science precisely because I can set up experiments and let them discover what I want them to learn. That's not so easy in chemistry. It's hard to connect the dots when you have to imagine them.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 11-17-2013 at 04:45 PM..

Old 11-17-2013, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Teaching less is the popular method now.
Group work, group learning and you are just the facilitator.
Yup. That's why they want content removed. So we have more time for group work. There are times when group work makes sense and times when it just doesn't. I'm not sure it's worth deleting content to achieve. I don't see my students learning more when we do group work. I end up having to explain what I intended for them to learn after the fact whether I'm doing my own activities or ones like the Pogil discovery activities which are marketed. You have kids who will work to learn either way and kids who will treat group work time as a social hour.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:21 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Yes but I'm being told to trim it back to only the important stuff. For some reason teaching what was taught before isn't good enough anymore. So I'm asking what content in chemistry would you cut?

The following list is what the state recommends. I try to stick close to this as it's a pretty good list. Unfortunately, there isn't enough time to teach all 12 units given we have to add unit 0 which is a review of metric conversions, significant figures and lab safety because my kids have completely forgotten metric conversions and significant figures and they have not been taught lab safety before. Using this list, what would you cut and why?

Unit 1 - Atomic Theory
  • Order in the universe is exhibited through the location and function of subatomic
  • particles and the likeness of atoms of individual elements.
  • A strong force is needed to hold the nucleus together in all atoms.
  • Radioactive dating is the direct function of the timed decay of radioactive atoms.
Unit 2 - Periodic Table
  • The periodic table organizes the known elements into periods and families with similar properties.
  • The periodic table is organized to display trends in the characteristics of elements.
  • The type of chemical bonding determines some characteristic properties of materials.
Unit 3 - Quantum Mechanics
  • The emission spectrum of individual elements is always identical and can be used to identify the elements.
  • Electron transition within energy levels can account for a specific energy emission or absorption within atoms.
Unit 4 - Introduction to Bonding
  • Chemical bonds form either by the attraction of a positive nucleus and negative electrons or the attraction between a positive ion and a negative ion.
  • The strength of chemical bonds can be measured by the changes in energy that occur during a chemical reaction.
Unit 5 - Nomenclature and Formula Stoichiometry
  • Chemical compounds always have the same formula and the same composition.
  • The formal charge on ions determines the ratio of the ions in an ionic compound, just as the apparent charge on atoms determines the ratio of the atoms in a covalent compound.
Unit 6 - Equations and Stoichiometry
  • Balanced chemical equations always exhibit conservation of mass and conservation of heat.
  • The same number of all gaseous molecules will occupy the same volume under the same conditions.
  • Chemical reactions carried out in the same fashion will always produce the same products.
  • Breaking of chemical bonds consumes energy while formation of bonds releases energy.
Unit 7 - States of Matter
  • Particles in all matter are in constant motion until the temperature reaches absolute zero.
  • The order and organization in the universe is illustrated in the pressure, volume and temperature relationships which can be predicted by models, mathematical equations and graphs.
Unit 8 - Advanced Bonding Concepts
  • Many physical properties of substances can be determined by knowing the type of bond structure that exists within the substance.
  • Forces that exist between atoms can be classified into specific categories.
Unit 9 - Thermochemistry and Solutions
  • Heat released or absorbed in chemical reactions is proportional to the amounts of reactants consumed.
  • When a reversible process occurs, the same amount of energy is involved no matter which way the reaction proceeds. The difference will be if the energy is released or absorbed.
Unit 10 - Acid/Base
  • The environment is impacted by chemical reactions on earth.
  • Acids, bases and pH are systems developed by man to help describe natural systems.
Unit 11 - Redox/Equilibrium
  • Many redox (oxidation-reduction) reactions are a source of energy.
  • Redox reactions significantly impact humans in both positive and negative ways.
  • In a closed system, many reactions will reach equilibrium. Changes to the equilibrium can be predicted by using Le Châtelier's Principle.
Unit 12 - Thermodynamics
  • Chemical compounds and chemical reactions strive toward states of highest disorder as does every thing in the universe.
  • Bond formation releases energy to the system.
  • Chemistry Power Standards
I'd dump thermo, including your beloved Hess's law. it isn't that it isn't good stuff to learn, it's just that it is the most expendable.

Old 11-17-2013, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
I'd dump thermo, including your beloved Hess's law. it isn't that it isn't good stuff to learn, it's just that it is the most expendable.
I'd have to agree. Hess's law is dropped in the common core. I will miss seeing the lights go on. The looks on their faces when they figure out the short way are priceless. They're like "AND you couldn't teach us this first because????". That would be because you wouldn't understand it if I'd taught you the short cut first, lol. It's one of my favorite concepts to teach because they get it. It takes some work but they get it.

I'm not seeing depth of knowledge in the common core. Just a lot less material taught.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching