Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 06:50 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,567,314 times

Advertisements

This post was started in December of 2007 - last year. Wonder what the OP decided to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2008, 11:53 AM

10,363 posts, read 20,822,700 times
I missed it last year but this is an interesting thread. I started subbing a couple of years ago and have never been treated horribly by the kids--most of the kids think I'm the fun sub, though I make them do what the teacher left for us to do. Some teachers are friendly and some are not, but most are too busy to visit much, so it can be lonely. I found thru subbing that I like teaching so much that I'm working on getting certified, though I will be 50 in May. My bet is that the OP is still teaching--it's hard to give up power over the curriculum--that's the hardest thing I have to deal with--when the teacher leaves lame lesson plans that the kids hate and I have to make them do it anyway, though I could think of something a lot more fun and educational at the same time. (Lame lesson plans aren't always left by bad teachers, just teachers in a hurry.)

Old 12-15-2008, 02:56 PM

223 posts, read 796,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by delta07 View Post
I am looking for opinions and thoughts about being a substitute teacher versus being the regular classroom teacher. I am a first year 4th grade teacher, and I am really struggling with the time required to do my job. It seems that I devote every waking moment to school work, and I still feel like I am flying by the seat of my pants most of the time. Planning and grading takes up a bulk of my time. I don't feel I am doing all I can to be the best teacher, but I so exhausted I can't do anymore.

I don't have a life anymore, and I am always extremely stressed. I have seriously considered not returning to my classroom position next year, and subbing instead. Of course, I am concerned that I wouldn't make much money though. I am also concerned that if I leave, I won't ever get my professional teaching license, benefits, retirement, and support from the union.

So, I would love to hear what others think out there. Does anyone sub full time, and how do they feel about this? What about the professional license? Thanks for your thoughts.
I used to sub for a while before jumping into a full-time high school teaching position, one which I eventually abandoned vowing never to return for the reason that public school administrators are petty, teachers are gossipy and anti-intellectual, and most kids sincerely do not care about the learning process or the teachers who serve them, no matter how much the teacher tries to amuse them.

Don't let anyone kid you who says that teaching is a "noble profession." If it were so noble there would be far better teachers than what the system has presently. Of course it goes without saying that there are some truly outstanding teachers who inspire kids every day and go above and beyond their calling. It sounds to me like you're doomed to burn out and become one of those bitter teachers ten years from now who look back and wonder why they ever decided to go into the profession. And you'll hate yourself every morning of every day of every month of every year of every....(get the hint?)

May the force be with you.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:29 PM

10,363 posts, read 20,822,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyLane View Post
Don't let anyone kid you who says that teaching is a "noble profession." If it were so noble there would be far better teachers than what the system has presently. Of course it goes without saying that there are some truly outstanding teachers who inspire kids every day and go above and beyond their calling. It sounds to me like you're doomed to burn out and become one of those bitter teachers ten years from now who look back and wonder why they ever decided to go into the profession. And you'll hate yourself every morning of every day of every month of every year of every....(get the hint?)
I think teaching is like every other profession--you get out of it what you put into it. I'm not a teacher yet, but I know some great teachers. I also know some burnt out old husks. Guess which ones are happier with their lives overall? Some would say that being a pastor is a noble profession too, but I know about the same ratio of great ones vs. burnt out ones. Same for every profession I think, except that some jobs make a lot more money and no one expects to feel noble from doing them. But feeling noble is not a reason I want to teach--I just happen to love kids and their little antics--all the way up thru the seniors in high school, and I'd rather get a noble feeling from a job well done, no matter what that may be. I'm sorry you were so unhappy--you may have gotten into a really bad school and judged all schools from that one--I love many of the teachers I'm working with--it's a combo that works well for all of us. The funny thing was that I absolutely hated school when I was a kid and I was a high school drop out and now I'm back in high school. Is that irony?

Old 12-16-2008, 09:34 AM

175 posts, read 439,712 times
If you want to sub, then do it. But the pay, attitude, and repect from others, including full time teachers, may not be what you would think. If you don't need a lot of extra money and you want to teach for fun, then do it. Some areas apparently pay over 120 dollars a day. I only got paid about 60 and I'm out of that.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:33 AM

4 posts, read 27,380 times
I feel that substituting is the beginning of a long term job - if you are already in the long term job don't go backwards...especially in the same career field!! I work in the financial industry now in NY and as anyone can imagine that is more stress that a 4th grade class for sure! I am trying to leave here and venture on into a new career - I am applying for a substitute teacher and I am looking forward to the kids....at least with them its ok for them to act imature - try working with people who are just shy of retirement...these are the people who would annoy you and treat you as if your nobody just because they were here for 30+ yrs!!

Anyway my advice - stay put....we all hate the beginning of a new job but in yrs to come you'll be showing someone the ropes and loving every minute of telling your story to them! Don't go backwards subing when it took you long enough....working hard to get where you are today!!

and yes....No benefits for subs (that is what's holding me here so long) and not as much as real teachers...but it's like being a grandparent seeing the kids...dealing with them and having some fun and then passing them back to the "parent/teacher"! i don't see anything wrong with subing - everyone has stories....and everyone complains.....don't listen to everyone...nashcash!!

Old 08-30-2012, 09:07 PM

2 posts, read 2,559 times
Subbing is a fun job! i subbed for a year and I have schools where the kids drop their bags on the way to come and great me! we do the job left for us and then we have tons of fun. we play or talk on the topics the regular teacher has no time to talk about. Subbing is the best!

Old 08-02-2016, 10:36 AM

3,296 posts, read 9,699,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
This post was started in December of 2007 - last year. Wonder what the OP decided to do?
This old thread just popped up again as I received a message from someone curious about my decision, so thought I would update it.

After moving to Oregon, I was forced to substitute teach as there were no teaching jobs. It really solidified my decision that teaching just wasn't for me. I decided to leave education and pursue artistic ventures. I am now a self-employed wedding photographer and I absolutely love it! Leaving teaching was the best decision for me. I am a creative and teaching in our school system today was just too restrictive for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching