Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 04:45 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,450,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinadelegato View Post
Hi there!
I am currently obtaining my Elem. Education BA degree and have been hearing different things about salary. Ive been hearing people say we get paid great to basically nil. Yes, Im obviously not doing this for the money but I would like to know how much you make as an elem. teacher. (If you dont feel comfortable sharing your salary an estimate would be great) If you could list:

1.State you teach
2.Yrs of experience
3.Salary

Thank you so much!
Seeing as you clearly have access to the internet... have you considered Google or Salary.com?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2014, 12:32 PM

97 posts, read 146,836 times
1. Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
2. 19th year
3. $118,000+
(if I work summer program I can add another 10 to 15 grand)
This may seem like a big salary but the cost of living is real high in these parts. I pay close to a thousand dollars a month for my county, town and school taxes and I live in a modest 2,000 sq/ft home. Also, I have a few degrees along with high needs certifications which put me in a good position to negotiate a stronger salary. My wife works in the neighboring district and only makes $80,000+ with the same number of years teaching.
We start teachers in my district with a masters at around $63,000.

Old 10-11-2014, 01:36 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefslp View Post
1. Mid-Hudson Valley, NY
2. 19th year
3. $118,000+
(if I work summer program I can add another 10 to 15 grand)
This may seem like a big salary but the cost of living is real high in these parts. I pay close to a thousand dollars a month for my county, town and school taxes and I live in a modest 2,000 sq/ft home. Also, I have a few degrees along with high needs certifications which put me in a good position to negotiate a stronger salary. My wife works in the neighboring district and only makes $80,000+ with the same number of years teaching.
We start teachers in my district with a masters at around $63,000.
Woooooooooow.

Old 10-11-2014, 02:01 PM

2,916 posts, read 3,000,773 times
Teaching seems to have more salary variation than just about any other field.

Old 10-11-2014, 02:57 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,320,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Woooooooooow.
I hesitate to be wowed by the salary in NY. I wonder how the cost of living compares to the NoVA/DC metro area. It sounds like taxes are more (we pay about $8k a year in real estate property taxes and don't have separate school taxes), but I think we are on the low side when COL is figured. Starting with a MA will go to 52,530 in Nov. With 19 years and a Masters, the salary will be about 80k. Of course, benefits (or lack thereof) can make a difference too.

jefslp, I don't know where you are exactly, but I looked at a few zip codes in the Hudson Valley and housing seems to be lower for those areas than here in NoVA. I'm just curious as it's interesting to compare.

Our district is going to be doing a salary comparison study. It will be interesting to see the results.

Old 10-11-2014, 07:17 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I hesitate to be wowed by the salary in NY. I wonder how the cost of living compares to the NoVA/DC metro area. It sounds like taxes are more (we pay about $8k a year in real estate property taxes and don't have separate school taxes), but I think we are on the low side when COL is figured. Starting with a MA will go to 52,530 in Nov. With 19 years and a Masters, the salary will be about 80k. Of course, benefits (or lack thereof) can make a difference too.

jefslp, I don't know where you are exactly, but I looked at a few zip codes in the Hudson Valley and housing seems to be lower for those areas than here in NoVA. I'm just curious as it's interesting to compare.

Our district is going to be doing a salary comparison study. It will be interesting to see the results.
the bolded is what I was thinking about too. It's interesting, even though teachers are paid far more here in NoVA than what we got in Kentucky, the ratio of salary to housing costs was far, far better in Kentucky. You could support a small family on a teacher's salary in most of Kentucky. You can barely support one person on a starting teacher's salary here in NoVA.

Old 10-11-2014, 07:31 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,461,541 times
Quote:

The Hudson Valley is a big area. Areas more upstate away from NYC have much lower costs of living, and their school districts pay lower salaries. Areas near NYC (Northern NJ, LI, Westchester, Rockland Co., and SW Connecticut) pay very high salaries, but have a very high cost of living as well.

I still say that, even with higher costs of living, you can often make a better living in the higher paying states. Yes, housing costs and taxes are higher. But past that, your expenses are pretty much the same as anyone else's. When you buy a car, you pay just about the same whether you buy in New York or Iowa.

And for those who are curious, here's my info:

1. Northern NJ
2. 14th year in district, but 17th year of credited experience
3. $101,500 base, plus another $1,500-$2,000 for extra duties (Base should go to around $105,000 when we settle our contract.)

Keep in mind that it is extraordinarily difficult to get teaching jobs in this area. Lots of People + High Salaries/Solid Benefits = GOOD LUCK. It took me six years to find a full-time job.

Old 10-12-2014, 08:27 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,320,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhelder View Post
The Hudson Valley is a big area. Areas more upstate away from NYC have much lower costs of living, and their school districts pay lower salaries. Areas near NYC (Northern NJ, LI, Westchester, Rockland Co., and SW Connecticut) pay very high salaries, but have a very high cost of living as well.

I still say that, even with higher costs of living, you can often make a better living in the higher paying states. Yes, housing costs and taxes are higher. But past that, your expenses are pretty much the same as anyone else's. When you buy a car, you pay just about the same whether you buy in New York or Iowa.

And for those who are curious, here's my info:

1. Northern NJ
2. 14th year in district, but 17th year of credited experience
3. $101,500 base, plus another $1,500-$2,000 for extra duties (Base should go to around $105,000 when we settle our contract.)

Keep in mind that it is extraordinarily difficult to get teaching jobs in this area. Lots of People + High Salaries/Solid Benefits = GOOD LUCK. It took me six years to find a full-time job.
I hear you and that makes sense. I have the same question that Oldhag has. Can you give an example if what an average, middle class house is selling for in Northern NJ? I think we we are seeing shows us that in the DC metro our salaries aren't on par with the cost of living here and I think that's what our superintendent is hoping to improve.

For example, in my area:

https://www.redfin.com/VA/Springfiel...0/home/9750366

https://www.redfin.com/VA/Springfiel...3/home/9770908

Last edited by tgbwc; 10-12-2014 at 08:37 AM..

Old 10-12-2014, 11:55 AM

1,471 posts, read 3,461,541 times
Quote:
I hear you and that makes sense. I have the same question that Oldhag has. Can you give an example if what an average, middle class house is selling for in Northern NJ? I think we we are seeing shows us that in the DC metro our salaries aren't on par with the cost of living here and I think that's what our superintendent is hoping to improve.

For example, in my area:

https://www.redfin.com/VA/Springfiel...0/home/9750366

https://www.redfin.com/VA/Springfiel...3/home/9770908
The prices for those homes is about what they'd be in Northern NJ - the prices in NJ might be a bit higher, but I don't think it would be a huge difference (maybe another $50,000 or so). Also, the houses would probably be a bit smaller on smaller lots in NJ than NOVA, and likely not in any kind of association unless you buy a townhouse.

It seems to be very hard to get starter/smaller homes in the area. In a typical decent, but not quite top-of-the-line suburb here, you're looking at dropping $400,000 - $450,000 for a small 3/2 cape in OK shape. Add $100,000 on to that if you have to live in one of the fancy 'burbs. Options seem to open up a bit more if you can get the budget up to $600,000 or so, but you're still not going to be looking at anything amazing in most of the better towns.

I still don't know how people are affording houses that are 6x - 7x median HHI in the suburbs around here. This was never a cheap area, but the yuppies and hipsters priced out of NYC really blew prices out of the water over the past 20 years. And the prices haven't come down much in the decent towns, even after all of the "economic crises".

Old 10-13-2014, 02:01 PM

11,638 posts, read 12,706,217 times
The salaries are higher in the NY/NJ area, but cost of living is much, much higher. It's not just housing, it's utilties, car insurance, getting people to repair your home and car, cost of gas in New York. Some places have a city income tax, such as New York City and Hoboken, NJ. Getting into one of the better districts is near impossible without a very strong connection and it is becoming that way in NYC too. Years ago, NYC hired their teachers based on a central list and prinicpals did not pick their own teachers. Perhaps, that created personality clashes, but it also prevented the rampant nepotism that the system has today. In the good suburban districts, teachers work in pressure cookers, not just because of testing, but because of a need to be PR experts for themselves by publishing artlicles in journals and getting their names in the education sections of local publictions. With the high rents, young teachers will have difficulty being able to save for a house plus affording the 1k a year in real estate taxes for a 60 year old modest home. Teacher employment in the suburbs surrounding NYC, including lower Westchester county, has been very tight since the 1970s and many people gave up after subbing for 5 or more years in the hope that would give them an "in." Personally, I don't think it's gotten any worse or better. You can go through all the CD threads about teaching jobs in the individual specific geographic location and find thread after thread of people sharing their difficulties finding a job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching