Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2014, 11:27 AM

527 posts, read 708,711 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Join Teach for America or Teach for Michigan. Always looking for college grads (any discipline) willing to work cheap (get 20% of certain loans forgiven each year he survives, I mean teaches)

Not sure about doing social studies as that tends to be a penny a dozen certificate. Also, do not be surprised if much of special education is eliminated in the next 3-6 years.

Final thought, much of education is transitioning to online courses and the classroom itself will be very different in a few years.

Most people who want to teach usually do very well in MEDICINE, SCIENCE and other service type fields. Just a suggestion.

I have 20 years special education and 90% regrets.....I really should have gone into medicine or biology...

Wow omg that is awesome... Thank you!!!

Being a public teacher at any school = paradise job.. Like winning $10M lottery. No, I don't care what you say or complain; any job that pays decent with plenty of benefits, summers and holidays off in America = AMAZING!

Old 12-05-2014, 11:51 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,914,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacationmacation View Post

Being a public teacher at any school = paradise job.. Like winning $10M lottery. No, I don't care what you say or complain; any job that pays decent with plenty of benefits, summers and holidays off in America = AMAZING!
Mom, your attitude is so messed up.

Please keep your son away from my school district. He forgot what he learned in the history classes he was required to take in order to teach social studies, and now he (no YOU) want him to go into teaching because it is a "paradise job"???

Old 12-05-2014, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
Mom, your attitude is so messed up.

Please keep your son away from my school district. He forgot what he learned in the history classes he was required to take in order to teach social studies, and now he (no YOU) want him to go into teaching because it is a "paradise job"???

I could for sure guarantee you that he will never ever live and teach in TN. Schools there are unfortunately ranked poor, and if my son who speaks 4 languages were to teach, they would have loved them. He did sub teach for months and got called all the time.

Just because he does not remember everything does not mean he cannot be a good teacher!

Old 12-05-2014, 12:20 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,914,733 times
Quote:
I could for sure guarantee you that he will never ever live and teach in TN. Schools there are unfortunately ranked poor, and if my son who speaks 4 languages were to teach, they would have loved them. He did sub teach for months and got called all the time.

Just because he does not remember everything does not mean he cannot be a good teacher!
Tennessee is a state nearly 600 miles across, with three distinct regions and 7 million residents. Nashville is home to a top-ranked college of education. Not all school systems are the same. Your son would do well to get hired in my district.

Of course, I assume you would fill out the application for him.

If he wants to work as a teacher, encourage him to focus on helping kids learn and not on your (mistaken) impression that it's some kind of workforce jackpot.

Old 12-05-2014, 12:30 PM

538 posts, read 538,346 times
Just curious - three questions....

1) How old is your son?

2) Does he know you posted this online?

3) Has he read this thread?

And just as a side note, after having been in the education world for nearly 40 years, your statement
"Being a public teacher at any school = paradise job.. Like winning $10M lottery. No, I don't care what you say or complain; any job that pays decent with plenty of benefits, summers and holidays off in America = AMAZING!"

is simply not true.

Old 12-05-2014, 01:51 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,149,450 times
Quote:

You are right, it doesn't.

But..... teaching is not as easy of a job as everyone seems to think. And, if your son has a low GPA or is alternately certified he is not going to be hired by a "good" school system. They can hire the cream of the crop and even convince experienced, proven teachers to transfer there. There is currently a teacher glut, schools that are desperate to hire are for a reason.

Also, there are certifications that almost always have plenty of teachers, even during a teacher shortage. Elementary education and social studies are the first jobs to get filled, even in crappy districts.

Old 12-05-2014, 03:15 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,139,370 times
Quote:

How many teachers have you actually known?

Your comments are so ridiculous that I won't even respond to them.

Last edited by germaine2626; 12-05-2014 at 03:41 PM..

Old 12-05-2014, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
How many teachers have you actually known?

Your comments are so ridiculous that I won't even respond to them.
Quite a few. Well those teachers have never worked at a regular corporate / professional jobs. A job that guaranteed gives you 15 weeks off from work is paradise, no matter how stressful, hard, annoying or crap the job is. That's how I see. Sorry but teaching/school staff work is paradise. I'm jealous of principals, guidance counselors, teachers, etc. everybody that works at schools. If we were like in Europe and Australia with 5 weeks of paid vacation by law, I may have accepted any job, but this is not the case so I'm done!

I work full-time with no benefits, no paid holidays/sick days/vacation and make $15/h. No thanks!

Old 12-05-2014, 03:49 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,553,761 times
I've both taught and worked in non-teaching professions, and you have truly no idea what you are talking about.

Also, bear in mind that even alt certification programs require an academic record of a certain GPA.

Old 12-05-2014, 03:50 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,902,669 times
Quote:
Quite a few. Well those teachers have never worked at a regular corporate / professional jobs. A job that guaranteed gives you 15 weeks off from work is paradise, no matter how stressful, hard, annoying or crap the job is. That's how I see. Sorry but teaching/school staff work is paradise. I'm jealous of principals, guidance counselors, teachers, etc. everybody that works at schools. If we were like in Europe and Australia with 5 weeks of paid vacation by law, I may have accepted any job, but this is not the case so I'm done!

I work full-time with no benefits, no paid holidays/sick days/vacation and make $15/h. No thanks!
I have worked at corporate jobs as well as at teaching. Teaching was much more difficult despite the time off. And, my corporate job had plenty of time off - we got comp time if we worked late on projects and had paid vacation starting with 2 weeks, but building up to 10 weeks. The benefits were also MUCH better, but they probably have changed with time and are not as good as they used to be.

It sounds like you are working at a corporation that is pretty awful especially if you have been working for years and only make $15 an hour. I made quite a bit more than that when I started and had good raises every year as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching