Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-08-2015, 09:50 PM

3 posts, read 3,654 times

Advertisements

I am an American teacher in his late 30s, currently working in South America. I am planning in returning to the US soon and moving into NM to teach in ABS. I want a fresh start. I have been thinking in NM because I enjoy the outdoors, running, camping, cultural evens etc. I have applied to Albuquerque public schools. I told them I was working in South America, I was bilingual and I was looking to relocate and teach in APS.
I answered working eligibility question in the APS on line application, even sent a copy of my passport. However, I kept getting the ,"but SIR...are you eligible to work in the US? we don't sponsor people from abroad/south-America" by individuals from recruitment and staffing (most of them Caucasian.) Just cut and dry. I kept telling them that I am American. They kept asking me same question over and over. At times I just laugh.

Ignorance?, Disorganization? Stereotypes? Misunderstanding? Discrimination?

I have never lived there, I grew up in central Fl. My parents are from Argentina. I have friends from all walks of life. Most of them are Caucasians Spanish and Asians. I thought that NM was a cool place to live and work a diverse state.. This whole scenario sound strange...and I don't want to end up working in a place filled with bigotry, ignorance. I just want to teach and enjoy a normal working environment,

Any feedback? Anyone with knowledge on APS?

Thank you so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2015, 09:28 AM

3,663 posts, read 5,676,018 times
Maybe they are referring to your teaching license?

I don't think it's discrimination.

Old 02-09-2015, 07:00 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
Maybe they are referring to your teaching license?

I don't think it's discrimination.
I agree with Everdeen that they probably were referring to your teaching license. Even within the United States you can not just move to a different state and start teaching, you need to apply for a license in the new state and probably will need to take additional classes/coursework.

If your New Mexico teaching license is current, then it may be something else.

Last edited by germaine2626; 02-09-2015 at 07:17 PM..

Old 02-09-2015, 07:25 PM

3,216 posts, read 8,557,580 times
With the statement that they "don't sponsor people from abroad", my assumption would be that they do, indeed, believe he is a foreign national. They are referring to a visa sponsor situation.

Surely, somewhere on the online application it asked for citizenship/residency/work status?

Old 02-12-2015, 06:16 AM

49,927 posts, read 59,955,675 times
They're just being thorough in trying to confirm all the details. Having worked abroad, I'm sure you're familiar with red tape as well as plain old misunderstandings. They also probably have experience with unqualified foreign workers applying.

Stand down and be sure all your required documentation is in order. That's all you can do.

Old 02-14-2015, 09:37 AM

1,067 posts, read 1,194,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andresbiondi View Post
I am an American teacher in his late 30s, currently working in South America. I am planning in returning to the US soon and moving into NM to teach in ABS. I want a fresh start. I have been thinking in NM because I enjoy the outdoors, running, camping, cultural evens etc. I have applied to Albuquerque public schools. I told them I was working in South America, I was bilingual and I was looking to relocate and teach in APS.
I answered working eligibility question in the APS on line application, even sent a copy of my passport. However, I kept getting the ,"but SIR...are you eligible to work in the US? we don't sponsor people from abroad/south-America" by individuals from recruitment and staffing (most of them Caucasian.) Just cut and dry. I kept telling them that I am American. They kept asking me same question over and over. At times I just laugh.

Ignorance?, Disorganization? Stereotypes? Misunderstanding? Discrimination?

I have never lived there, I grew up in central Fl. My parents are from Argentina. I have friends from all walks of life. Most of them are Caucasians Spanish and Asians. I thought that NM was a cool place to live and work a diverse state.. This whole scenario sound strange...and I don't want to end up working in a place filled with bigotry, ignorance. I just want to teach and enjoy a normal working environment,

Any feedback? Anyone with knowledge on APS?

Thank you so much.
Perhaps ignorance and perhaps a bit of misunderstanding.

One question just to clarify. Were you talking to the recruiter over the phone or did you talk to him or her face to face? I assume the former, but I just want to know.

Old 02-14-2015, 09:59 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,988,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andresbiondi View Post
Ignorance?, Disorganization? Stereotypes? Misunderstanding?
And poor reading skills.

Quote:
Any feedback?
It doesn't bode well when the people HIRING the teachers don't read well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching