Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 01:58 AM

395 posts, read 374,529 times

Advertisements

I'm an education major, not going into full time teaching, but was hired up north where I'm relocating to as a substitute teacher.

I'm with an alliance of multiple school districts and will likely be applying for more. How soon would you say teachers start using substitutes? I'm not expecting anything the first week of school, but how soon do teachers actually plan on getting a substitute for their class for personal days or meetings?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2015, 06:07 AM

4,366 posts, read 4,579,182 times
You really do not want to sub on an "as needed" basis, if you can avoid it. They get the brunt of bed behavior from kids, because the kids think that (a) they don't have to obey them, because they are "just a substitute," and (b) they can get away with whatever, because they will, supposedly, be gone the next day. These "as needed" positions are the worst of the worst. I've been told that it's actually more difficult to do that than to do actual teaching.

Here are other options to consider:

Long-term Substitute
What you should do, if you want to go the substitute route, is look for a long-term position, preferably with a small class of gifted students. It's difficult to find these positions, but be bold when interviewing, make friends, and don't be afraid to ask. Plus, you're certified in math, so you should be able to find a long-term position relatively easily.

Teacher's Aide / Teacher's Assistant
Teachers' aides may not get paid as much, but it's not as socially demanding as substitute teaching. You get to be in the same classroom with the same groups of students; you become a familiar face to the kids and get to work with them one-on-one or in small groups. You also learn a thing or two about classroom management and student routines. It's like a year-long student teaching experience, only you are paid.

Private Tutor
If that doesn't work out, or even if it does and you want to supplement your income, you can try becoming a private tutor for a tutoring company or just offering your services to friends. The drawback, at least around here, though, is that tutoring companies may want to give you only part-time work, or they may expect a specialized skill set or certification, like test prep, special needs instruction, or adult education, before hiring you. They also may pay less, depending on the demand for tutors.

Working for yourself is a bit more flexible, but you have to find a niche market. I think you said that you were certified in math. Do you know how to conceptualize mathematics and break the subject down so that people who are not good at processing numbers, shapes, and formulas can understand it, not just memorize it? If so, you may be able to become a respected math tutor and help struggling college students at a rate of $20-$40 per hour.

Instructor
Adult education is another option. If you are really good in math and have at least a master's degree in anything, sign up to become an instructor with a local junior college, university, or community center. You may not get paid much. (Right now, I get paid about $15 per hour and only work about six hours per week), but it's a good way to demonstrate your strengths, gain additional training, and build confidence. Plus, you stand a much better chance of finding more opportunities once you start meeting some of the local teachers.

Old 07-18-2015, 06:34 AM

6,720 posts, read 8,388,075 times
Some are needed the first week. Maternity leave and illness can happen at anytime.

Old 07-18-2015, 07:31 AM

"As needed" subs are usually needed the third or fourth week of school. The first paycheck is not enough to live on; that's my experience. Long-term subs are usually hired during summer or at the beginning of fall.

Old 07-18-2015, 08:24 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Although, it is pretty rare, a few subs are needed right away. I once subbed the first two days of school because the teacher was in a bike accident the day before school started.

In general, subbing gets busier each week during the first month of school. In my area, it takes about six weeks before subs are common & regular in each building (due to illness & meetings).

Old 07-18-2015, 08:40 AM

45,355 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrico_Fermi View Post
I'm an education major, not going into full time teaching, but was hired up north where I'm relocating to as a substitute teacher.

I'm with an alliance of multiple school districts and will likely be applying for more. How soon would you say teachers start using substitutes? I'm not expecting anything the first week of school, but how soon do teachers actually plan on getting a substitute for their class for personal days or meetings?
Please tell me you're not relocating just to sub.

Usually subs start getting called on a regular basis starting the 3rd week of school.

Keep in mind that many schools, and individual teachers, have their "regulars" who are the first ones called. My school even had a couple who were automatically scheduled every day as a "just in case".

Old 07-18-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Please tell me you're not relocating just to sub.

Usually subs start getting called on a regular basis starting the 3rd week of school.

Keep in mind that many schools, and individual teachers, have their "regulars" who are the first ones called. My school even had a couple who were automatically scheduled every day as a "just in case".
I agree. Even in Nevada, where there is supposedly a teacher shortage, subs are only paid $90 / day. I was hoping you got a job offer doing something else or were at least going to be looking for one, OP. Use your math education to either get a good job right away or re-enroll in school and put it toward something like engineering or architecture, something that pays well and the area demands.

Old 07-18-2015, 10:50 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Personally, I'd be a para before I'd be a sub.

Old 07-18-2015, 11:03 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
You can be needed right away, especially if a principal doesn't have all their spots filled.

For two years, I worked as a regular substitute at the school where I did my student teaching.

I was there almost every day in a different classroom, which really helped with discipline because the students knew me. I also knew most of the teachers' preferred procedures.

My point is that if you find a school and principal you like, try to go that route. The teachers can set up jobs with you personally rather than going through the robocall process or whatever the system uses. Being a sub is like going through the first day of school every single day. If you can avoid re-inventing the wheel, do so.

I would try to find a nighttime job as a backup.

Old 07-18-2015, 11:36 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,145,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
You can be needed right away, especially if a principal doesn't have all their spots filled.

For two years, I worked as a regular substitute at the school where I did my student teaching.

I was there almost every day in a different classroom, which really helped with discipline because the students knew me. I also knew most of the teachers' preferred procedures.

My point is that if you find a school and principal you like, try to go that route. The teachers can set up jobs with you personally rather than going through the robocall process or whatever the system uses. Being a sub is like going through the first day of school every single day. If you can avoid re-inventing the wheel, do so.

I would try to find a nighttime job as a backup.
Great points.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching