Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2015, 05:36 PM

358 posts, read 283,085 times

Advertisements

I need to pass the praxis exams by July 2016 and basically have 9 months to study. I must pass the Social Studies (middle/high school) AND reading, writing & math which is new requirement in my state as of this September, my bad luck! Due to my lower gpa, I need to score 10% higher on the praxis exam as part of flexibility. Unfortunately my state raised its GPA requirement unlike some other states that either have no GPA requirement or only 2.5 needed.

I truly suck at math, and always barely passed with horrible grades throughout my school years. I'm not the best test taker either. I took the praxis in social studies in the summer and got 140ish score, and I must score 170 I believe. What advice do you have for me? I will purchase study guide books this weekend. I MUST pass the exams, otherwise I'm screwed up and my dream will be gone forever! I should pretend I got the GPA needed, but still must pass the praxis exams no matter what in order for me to be certified and teach!

Oh God, when will my eyes see that certification in my hand?!

Old 10-09-2015, 05:48 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
What do you mean you should pretend to have the GPA needed?

However, you should be able to look at your first results and look at the patterns to see where you have weaknesses.

Old 10-12-2015, 10:11 PM

395 posts, read 374,626 times
The only way you'd have to take the social studies exam is if you were planning on being a social studies teacher. How do you see yourself qualified to teach social studies if you cannot master the content?

Old 10-12-2015, 10:36 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonerandsad View Post
I truly suck at math
Try some of these practice tests. Not the Praxis, but may be helpful for math:

CTC | CBEST Preparation Materials

Old 10-13-2015, 03:51 PM

358 posts, read 283,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrico_Fermi View Post
The only way you'd have to take the social studies exam is if you were planning on being a social studies teacher. How do you see yourself qualified to teach social studies if you cannot master the content?
Yes I plan on teaching Social studies. Well I know a lot about it just not the best test taker. It covers a lot, and you will teach a lot from the textbook anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching