Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2015, 07:39 PM

41 posts, read 41,109 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have experience with not renewing their contracts at the end of a school year, and applying for different jobs? I don't know if it's possible to exit gracefully in this way, but I was just wondering if anyone has ever gotten a job after not renewing their contract at another school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2015, 07:48 PM

45,379 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Each state/school system will be different.

Where I taught (Maryland), non-tenured teachers had to resign by May 31st while tenured teachers had until July 15th. That was to go to another teaching job within the state. If you're leaving teaching it probably won't matter. If you're staying in teaching and don't hit the dates some states will suspend your certification, which means the new system won't/can't hire you.

Old 12-07-2015, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Each state/school system will be different.

Where I taught (Maryland), non-tenured teachers had to resign by May 31st while tenured teachers had until July 15th. That was to go to another teaching job within the state. If you're leaving teaching it probably won't matter. If you're staying in teaching and don't hit the dates some states will suspend your certification, which means the new system won't/can't hire you.
Ok, thanks. Have you ever been hired somewhere else after resigning from a teaching job? How did you word it to the people interviewing you when they asked why you left?

Old 12-07-2015, 07:55 PM

I just read that in PA, you have to give 60 days notice.

Old 12-07-2015, 07:56 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,733,278 times
I moved from one school to another. It was a much more prestigious school whose theme is what my career was before I taught. It was not a big deal except my other school did not want to let me out of my contract (not that we actually signed contracts but that would be another thread).

There are a million reasons to switch schools, you wanted to be closer to home, you want to move to that town, you prefer that age group, etc.

Old 12-07-2015, 07:56 PM

Not exactly. I was offered a job one time just past the July 15th date and my original system wouldn't release me. Which meant the offer was withdrawn.

I ended up staying.

I would tell you that if you're thinking of leaving do so early in your career. After a few years you get so enmeshed with step raises and pension vesting it's hard to leave.

Old 12-07-2015, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfLifeFan88 View Post
I just read that in PA, you have to give 60 days notice. I'm not sure if they mean 60 days before officially resigning, or 60 days before the start of a new school year.

If you're in PA ask your school's union rep.

Old 12-07-2015, 07:59 PM

Quote:
If you're in PA ask your school's union rep.
Thanks, I appreciate it. If anyone else has any insight, feel free to post here.

Old 12-08-2015, 08:11 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Each state has different rules.

Here in Texas you can resign 45 days before school starts even if you had signed a contract of renewal in May.
All you need to do is submit a letter to the school board. Texas is non union.

Old 12-08-2015, 09:44 AM

6,160 posts, read 5,711,339 times
No idea what it's like in my state. However, I will tell you that a new teacher in my building resigned from her previous position only a week before the start of class. It's a crappy thing to do, but it was really necessary in her case.

In some cases, the district can do things to muck up your teaching license.

My district gives out contracts in March and expects them to be returned by May 1.

Quote:
Not exactly. I was offered a job one time just past the July 15th date and my original system wouldn't release me. Which meant the offer was withdrawn.

I ended up staying.

I would tell you that if you're thinking of leaving do so early in your career. After a few years you get so enmeshed with step raises and pension vesting it's hard to leave.
It's crazy to me that a district wouldn't release a teacher. If someone doesn't want to work in the district, they probably belong elsewhere.

I guess it's just administration being too lazy to hire a new teacher during the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching