Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2016, 12:20 PM

5,013 posts, read 10,696,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
I said above, this is not how he generally speaks. I also specifically said above that English is his first language, and his parents are/were also native speakers.
I know that you said that this is not how he generally speaks. My point is that writing is an issue for a lot of people, regardless of many years spent in school.

Re: English being his first language, are you sure? I ask because many of the other posters brought this issue up. If African American vernacular English is his first language, then he would not be a native speaker of standard English.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2016, 01:16 PM

9,238 posts, read 22,902,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
If African American vernacular English is his first language, then he would not be a native speaker of standard English.
That's a bit of a stretch. Most people would never consider a black person growing up speaking the vernacular to be in an ESL category!

Old 05-12-2016, 09:12 PM

184 posts, read 144,048 times
To diagnose an LD, you'd have to know whether his IQ is normal and, depending on which method you use (We use the new X-BASS) administer certain intellectual and academic subtests from the major test batteries. Without that information, it's impossible to diagnose an LD. I think it's more likely a lack of education in writing (either poor teaching or lack of attention on his part) rather than a genuine inability to write correctly.

Maybe create a style guide for him if you don't already have one.

Old 05-13-2016, 05:47 PM

4,366 posts, read 4,581,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TracySam View Post
Hi, I'm a mental health professional, and although I can diagnose all sorts of mental health disorders, I'm not very familiar with the specific learning disorders that you Education folks might be more familiar with.

My guess would be he is speaking his native tongue, and the native tongue of most Americans, bad English, and he hasn't learned how to correct himself when writing. Bad grammar is an issue for a lot of people in the United States, and, unless this kid ever planned to become an English teacher when he was going to college and therefore took a set of intensive grammar and writing courses, he hasn't broken the habit of writing the way he probably learned to speak, even if he's learned to correct it when talking.

Other things it might be:

It might be related to dyslexia or ADHD; they sometimes have trouble paying attention to written letters. Does he make a lot of spelling errors?

It might be a short-term memory issue.

Old 05-13-2016, 07:09 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,445,216 times
After earning a degree in LD, I taught in a school where it had never before been offered. Some of the students were ED and some simply couldn't read, but appeared to be intelligent. It was a very difficult task and I only did it for 2 years. My burn out rate went fast. For many, it takes 4 years. I was green in the teaching field and the school took advantage of that.

It was high school and one student needed credits in Economics and I knew little on the subject and handed him a textbook to read and write papers weekly. He was very intelligent, but ED. A few years after graduating he murdered a woman, pled guilty and may still be in prison, I don't know.

One young man said he wanted to read more than anything in the world, but he either couldn't or wouldn't do anything to help in that direction. If seemed as if he wanted someone to tap him on the shoulder and exclaim, READ, and it would happen.

Help for most of these students came too late, since for one reason or another they had been shuffled around in school and passed from grade to grade without learning much. I know at least 2 were helped and possibly 3, but I could no longer deal with taking five steps back for every 2 steps forward.

Old 05-23-2016, 08:30 PM

480 posts, read 668,565 times
I work with someone who is black and very intelligent. I got an e-mail from him today, and just out of curiosity, I looked at the tenses of the words. Sure enough, he wrote exactly the way the OP described.

I have no idea if the person the OP is talking about is black or not, but if so, it is more likely to be a cultural thing than a LD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching