Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 07:10 AM

10 posts, read 5,289 times

Advertisements

I am an teaching assistant in a mild/mod middle school classroom. The regular teacher has great classroom management but last week there was a sub who didn't, and the class was chaotic. I did my best to help the sub but I couldn't control the entire classroom and work in my group teaching a lesson at the same time. Next week there will be a new sub for four days straight while the teacher is at a training. Any suggestions if I get another sub who doesn't know how to control the class?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2016, 08:37 AM

1,289 posts, read 938,405 times
Does the teacher know about your concerns? He/she should have some ideas. Some teachers don't like it one bit when their classes go out of control just because they aren't there. It can be a bad reflection on the teacher. If talking to the teacher doesn't help, talk to another mild/mod teacher or else talk to the head of the department. You need some kind of support. It's not your job to control an entire class, especially not for four days.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiaLia View Post
Does the teacher know about your concerns? He/she should have some ideas. Some teachers don't like it one bit when their classes go out of control just because they aren't there. It can be a bad reflection on the teacher. If talking to the teacher doesn't help, talk to another mild/mod teacher or else talk to the head of the department. You need some kind of support. It's not your job to control an entire class, especially not for four days.
When I told her about the other sub's experience she told the class she was disappointed in them and also requested that sub not work for her again (there were more things inappropriate done by the sub which I won't get into). She said she hoped the next sub would be better, as do I. It's an awkward situation because as an aide you don't want to tell the sub what to do but at the same time the chaos last time was just awful.

Old 09-29-2016, 09:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klb2363 View Post
When I told her about the other sub's experience she told the class she was disappointed in them and also requested that sub not work for her again (there were more things inappropriate done by the sub which I won't get into). She said she hoped the next sub would be better, as do I. It's an awkward situation because as an aide you don't want to tell the sub what to do but at the same time the chaos last time was just awful.
Ok good. But you need a concrete strategy. I see no problem at all in gently and respectfully directing the sub if he/she needs it. He might even welcome your input. The important thing is to maintain the integrity of the classroom environment. Other concerns take second place.

Can you ask someone to help you come up with back-up plans to be used next week just in case? The students need to be shown, not told, that even though the teacher is absent the business of learning still goes on. For example, maybe you or the teacher can run off some handouts for the students to work on. Like math puzzles, word puzzles, etc. Maybe there is an admin-approved movie they can watch for the last 15 minutes of class, if they have made good progress on the plans their teacher left them. Maybe there's an interesting project they could work on in groups. Maybe there are admin-approved competitive games they can participate in such as a spelling bee, or maybe a contest where they divide into teams and compete in answering questions re history, geography, etc. Things like that.
p.s. If things get too out of hand call security. But hopefully things will go well.

Old 09-29-2016, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Ok good. But you need a concrete strategy. I see no problem at all in gently and respectfully directing the sub if he/she needs it. He might even welcome your input. The important thing is to maintain the integrity of the classroom environment. Other concerns take second place.

Can you ask someone to help you come up with back-up plans to be used next week just in case? The students need to be shown, not told, that even though the teacher is absent the business of learning still goes on. For example, maybe you or the teacher can run off some handouts for the students to work on. Like math puzzles, word puzzles, etc. Maybe there is an admin-approved movie they can watch for the last 15 minutes of class, if they have made good progress on the plans their teacher left them. Maybe there's an interesting project they could work on in groups. Maybe there are admin-approved competitive games they can participate in such as a spelling bee, or maybe a contest where they divide into teams and compete in answering questions re history, geography, etc. Things like that.
p.s. If things get too out of hand call security. But hopefully things will go well.

Thanks. There was enough work for them to do, it's just that 50 percent of them were out of control with a handful that were just off the chain so to speak. I wrote up a bunch of them, the sub didn't do anything but scream which had no effect. Like you said, hopefully things will go well.

Old 09-29-2016, 04:19 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,711,684 times
Did the classroom teacher discuss expectations with the students before the sub?

What are the work expectations when the teacher is gone? Does she leave suitable assignments for them to work on?

Old 09-29-2016, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PKCorey View Post
Did the classroom teacher discuss expectations with the students before the sub?

What are the work expectations when the teacher is gone? Does she leave suitable assignments for them to work on?
She gives them a lot of worksheets to do and when they're done, they can work on homework from other classes. Not sure if that's considered suitable, this is my first year working in middle school, my experience has mainly been in elementary schools.

Old 09-29-2016, 08:35 PM

Quote:
She gives them a lot of worksheets to do and when they're done, they can work on homework from other classes. Not sure if that's considered suitable, this is my first year working in middle school, my experience has mainly been in elementary schools.
I think students have to be engaged in their work, especially middle school students, especially whenever there's a sub. Middle schoolers in particular seem to have a stronger than average default of "It's A Holiday!" whenever the teacher is gone. If the usual work is not engaging them it's good to have an alternate plan. That's why I was thinking of unusual assignments, fun assignments, not the everyday work. But what really strikes me is how sharp you are to be trying to get ahead of the situation and not just resigning yourself to chaos. Or just being absent every time the teacher's absent. Good for you and good luck.

Old 09-30-2016, 05:44 AM

Quote:
I think students have to be engaged in their work, especially middle school students, especially whenever there's a sub. Middle schoolers in particular seem to have a stronger than average default of "It's A Holiday!" whenever the teacher is gone. If the usual work is not engaging them it's good to have an alternate plan. That's why I was thinking of unusual assignments, fun assignments, not the everyday work. But what really strikes me is how sharp you are to be trying to get ahead of the situation and not just resigning yourself to chaos. Or just being absent every time the teacher's absent. Good for you and good luck.

Thanks!

Old 09-30-2016, 03:10 PM

4,586 posts, read 7,711,684 times
Quote:
Yeah, you might have to give them some book work as well. Worksheets alone is a recipe for disaster especially when they students get finished early and try to play the sub for a fool. Any available laptops or tablets?

Agreed, LiaLia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching