Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2017, 10:20 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,944,661 times

Advertisements

Teaching puts you in the spotlight, you have to be ON at all times, there is no let up. Kids expect/take from you, your peers do the same, administration puts pressure on you, and you never know when you will get a visit from someone "very important.

This is so true~as a former high school teacher it was like giving 5 or 6 sales pitches, persuasive speeches or news programs to an audience of often unresponsive, disengaged or apathetic listeners. This was each day x 5 days per week. Thankfully, I taught a hands on, student engaged subject, so there were few "lecture and learn teacher led" days in my teaching curriculum and classroom. I often thought of my colleagues who taught the same group of students all day long; if someone came in with a bad attitude, meltdown, outburst or if there had been an incident involving students you had to deal with it (or the tone it set) for the rest of the day, in the same bottled group of students. At least with high school you got a chance to "do over" something 45 or 50 minutes later.

Teaching was my calling, passion and I found it very rewarding. I worked hard to make it a good experience for the students; having equipment ready, supplies needed (yes, I had to shop on my own time), tasks broken down in the beginning until they learned how to get themselves organized and assume the responsibilities for ordering supplies, maintaining equipment and developing realistic timelines for their projects. The harder I worked at being a step ahead, the better the lesson and the end results at the end of the day, week or unit. Friday nights I was often exhausted and Sunday afternoon's were angst with preparedness for the following week. This was hard~there were few "happy hour" opportunities with my job, at times I felt isolated because of being closed up in the same room with a revolving door of different faces all day long.

I started teaching in the decades when they were underpaid for the expectations and responsibilities we carried, often having to work a 2nd job and summer job just to be able to afford the basics of rent, car insurance and food, while continuing to pay for graduate coursework to get permanent certification. When they enacted minimum salaries for teachers in NJ, I had to be brought up to that scale, with 5 years of experience I was still under the state minimum pay for starting teachers, and I had a Master's degree. This was hard; I couldn't afford the portion of the beach house, or the quick vacation to someplace warm on a long weekend or holiday. I was envious of those who could call out sick and had a secretary take their calls, of those who were putting money into 401K's that their employers were matching. Those that had company cars that they didn't have to pay for, could take a lunch hour away from their place of employment, and the concept of PTO time or comp. time was never in the field of education.

That being said, yes, teaching was hard; but it was my choice, I loved it, felt stimulated, challenged, was never bored, often surprised and amused, loved interacting and engaging with teenagers and know that I left a lasting impact on many of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2017, 04:52 PM

3,281 posts, read 6,277,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lepoisson View Post
Not always. A friend of mine from high school went on to get his MS in computer science. He works as a computer engineer designing and coding software for Boeing. But I think my cat has more creativity skills than him.
Sure, but what about the other way around? I mean, for someone to be creative, does that not require a certain level of intelligence?

Old 01-13-2017, 05:01 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,307,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
Is teaching an easy job?
It would be easier if the state and federal governments let you suspend and expel the problems that exist. But because half the job is classroom management, you have to deal with the degenerate students longer than you should have too and it can make the job harder than it should be.

The subject matters also. Kids generally hate being in math, science and history classes.
Its not the hardest job, but you can't show up and collect a check either.

Old 01-13-2017, 09:28 PM

50,809 posts, read 24,321,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
It would be easier if the state and federal governments let you suspend and expel the problems that exist. But because half the job is classroom management, you have to deal with the degenerate students longer than you should have too and it can make the job harder than it should be.

The subject matters also. Kids generally hate being in math, science and history classes.
Its not the hardest job, but you can't show up and collect a check either.

Are you a teacher?

Old 01-14-2017, 04:46 AM

43,659 posts, read 44,393,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmoStars View Post
Is teaching an easy job?
No it is not easy but it gets easier as the years go by!

Old 01-14-2017, 01:57 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,320,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chava61 View Post
No it is not easy but it gets easier as the years go by!
I though that for a while, but not over my past ten years or so teaching. It has grown progressively more difficult.

Old 01-14-2017, 07:15 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,944,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
I though that for a while, but not over my past ten years or so teaching. It has grown progressively more difficult.
Oh my goodness, this is SO TRUE!

I was working harder and spending A LOT more time on lesson preparation, evaluation, justification, individualized instruction and making adaptations for IEP's, monitoring student progress and behavior, answering emails, uploading data, tracking, developing authentic assessment, and other administrator assigned kumbaya programs, attending meetings and developing and working on my own PTD's or SLO's.

In my early years of teaching I managed to teach all day, prep for a the next day, go to the gym, finish paperwork at home in the evening and often head back to school to watch a sporting event, play or concert. Towards the end of my run, I was so consumed that I didn't have the time or the energy to go back in the evening. Subject matter was easy to convey, I had all the answers, it was the "other" work that became hard and time consuming. The students became customers over time....

Old 01-15-2017, 07:24 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,159,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachbeach View Post

I was working harder and spending A LOT more time on lesson preparation, evaluation, justification, individualized instruction and making adaptations for IEP's, monitoring student progress and behavior, answering emails, uploading data, tracking, developing authentic assessment, and other administrator assigned kumbaya programs, attending meetings and developing and working on my own PTD's or SLO's.

In my early years of teaching I managed to teach all day, prep for a the next day, go to the gym, finish paperwork at home in the evening and often head back to school to watch a sporting event, play or concert. Towards the end of my run, I was so consumed that I didn't have the time or the energy to go back in the evening. Subject matter was easy to convey, I had all the answers, it was the "other" work that became hard and time consuming. The students became customers over time....
My experience also. Both teachers and students are paying a high price for talking points of politicians, lining the pockets of testing companies, and justifying additional administration jobs.

Old 01-15-2017, 08:23 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,576,256 times
Pretty much. Too much garbage busywork, the actual work of instruction gets short shrift.

Nobody goes into teaching so they can compile data and sit in meetings about meetings and meetings to debrief from meetings.

Old 01-15-2017, 08:38 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,320,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teachbeach View Post

Pretty much sums it up. The one thing I might add to monitoring student behavior is trying to manage it. Behaviors have become worse. I have some students who are just blatantly disrespectful and defiant. I have days when an entire 2 hour and 40 minute block is a struggle through disruptions by one or two students. Those one or two make the morning almost impossible for me and the other 28 students.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching