Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2017, 12:08 AM

3,254 posts, read 2,341,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by krug View Post
I've never known any teacher in my entire life to make close to 6 figures, but I am from the midwest. Unless of course your mean administrators, that dead weight makes 6 figures, but they are not teachers.
In Virginia there are counties where teachers make 6 figures and remember they also have 11 weeks off in the summer, two in December, and one in the Spring, plus personal leave and sick leave. Making even $80,000 for 3/4 of a year job is pretty darn good. Two married teachers where I live make close to $200,000 and have their summers off for other jobs. Of course many go on to be principals and other administrators and make far over $100,000 although they work 10 or 11 months a year, with the same holidays as the teachers. My teacher/administrator friends love what they do and would never want to do anything else. Their wives and husbands are happy with it too. They make wonderful spouses and parents.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2017, 06:35 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,325,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrassTacksGal View Post
In Virginia there are counties where teachers make 6 figures and remember they also have 11 weeks off in the summer, two in December, and one in the Spring, plus personal leave and sick leave. Making even $80,000 for 3/4 of a year job is pretty darn good. Two married teachers where I live make close to $200,000 and have their summers off for other jobs. Of course many go on to be principals and other administrators and make far over $100,000 although they work 10 or 11 months a year, with the same holidays as the teachers. My teacher/administrator friends love what they do and would never want to do anything else. Their wives and husbands are happy with it too. They make wonderful spouses and parents.
I like what I do and I don't complain about the salary, but I'd like to know which counties you are referencing. Where do you live? While your post isn't far off, it does have spin to it and is a bit "polished" around the edges compared to what I have experienced.

While it's true teachers can make 6 figures, it isn't common in VA and it's only at the very high end of the scale in higher paying districts. Those higher paying districts also have higher costs of living. See my example earlier in this thread. The median home value in my Fairfax County zip (an older, middle of the road neighborhood) surpasses $500k. A teacher with a PhD and 26 years experience does hit the 6 figure mark. The MA scale falls just short of 6 figures at 30 years. So yes, two teachers towards the very top of the scale would be making $200k.
https://www.fcps.edu/sites/default/f...ay-teacher.pdf
* As I read some others' posts, I am coming to the realization that perhaps this scale is low compared to the COL for the area.

Summers are great and I like the perk, but 11 weeks is a stretch. Our last work day is June 27. We return August 18 since we will be starting prior to Labor Day this year (one week earlier than the past). That's just short of 8 weeks. Even on a "normal" summer, it would have been 9 weeks. That's not a complaint, but it is short of 11 weeks.

Principals have 12 month contracts. Assistant principals have 11.

Old 02-06-2017, 05:39 PM

26,739 posts, read 26,834,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
While your post isn't far off, it does have spin to it and is a bit "polished" around the edges compared to what I have experienced.

While it's true teachers can make 6 figures, it isn't common in VA and it's only at the very high end of the scale in higher paying districts. Those higher paying districts also have higher costs of living.
It's not even common in southern CA. I just looked up the starting salary for a teacher in a public high school in one of the suburbs here and it was around $46,000. The ONLY teachers I know of who make six figures work in alternative education (extremely difficult students) and those schools are in operation year round.

Old 02-06-2017, 05:55 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,308,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
It's not even common in southern CA. I just looked up the starting salary for a teacher in a public high school in one of the suburbs here and it was around $46,000. The ONLY teachers I know of who make six figures work in alternative education (extremely difficult students) and those schools are in operation year round.
Of course its not common if you only go by the starting teacher pay. Most teachers in CA, along with NY, DC, CT and NJ make in 100k range after about 20 years. And there are man professions where people would be happy to start at 46k. you ever looked at how much most people make starting off in Journalism type jobs? Often barely above the minimum.

To the OP, to point out that he can't take care of a family is ridiculous. Maybe he likes the lifestyle and will be able to enjoy his life before retirement by having summers off. Also, being ur in the Midwest, I would think 40K is nothing to sneeze at. And in this day in age, it shouldn't only be on him to provide, woman should be out there working too. Also, I lived in NYC and worked at a law firm at one point a decade ago, and many lawyers don't make a ton more than teachers, with the exceptions being the ones that work at major corporate firms, but they also work alot more hours and days.

I think you are casting your old view of the world onto his current one.

Old 02-06-2017, 06:43 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,554,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktravern View Post
Of course its not common if you only go by the starting teacher pay. Most teachers in CA, along with NY, DC, CT and NJ make in 100k range after about 20 years. And there are man professions where people would be happy to start at 46k. you ever looked at how much most people make starting off in Journalism type jobs? Often barely above the minimum.

To the OP, to point out that he can't take care of a family is ridiculous. Maybe he likes the lifestyle and will be able to enjoy his life before retirement by having summers off. Also, being ur in the Midwest, I would think 40K is nothing to sneeze at. And in this day in age, it shouldn't only be on him to provide, woman should be out there working too. Also, I lived in NYC and worked at a law firm at one point a decade ago, and many lawyers don't make a ton more than teachers, with the exceptions being the ones that work at major corporate firms, but they also work alot more hours and days.

I think you are casting your old view of the world onto his current one.
Compare the starting and average pay for teachers. That will give you an idea of how many make a lot of money. Most are not making anywhere near six figures. My district has one (the district has to disclose the salaries of all employees making over $100k). You can't make anywhere near $100k in my district without doing things like teaching summer school or coaching.

$40k isn't enough to live on in many areas and you cannot count on a spouses income. For many the cost of day care makes working too expensive.

Old 02-06-2017, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Most teachers in CA, along with NY, DC, CT and NJ make in 100k range after about 20 years.
Hmm...I just looked up 3 public school districts in southern CA. After 20 years, the highest salary was $82,800 without a Master's. I can imagine that in the more rural areas of CA, the teachers do not make near that.

Old 02-06-2017, 06:59 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,599,905 times
Quote:
Nobody has claimed anywhere in this discussion that teachers anywhere start at anything approaching six figures.

People have provided examples of longtime district employees in various settings approaching and exceeding this. But, no, not first-year educators or early career teachers. Obviously. Does this really bear pointing out?

Old 02-06-2017, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Nobody has claimed anywhere in this discussion that teachers anywhere start at anything approaching six figures.

Obviously. Does this really bear pointing out?
You have misread my post. I was responding to this person:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
While it's true teachers can make 6 figures, it isn't common in VA and it's only at the very high end of the scale in higher paying districts.
As well as this one:

Quote:
Most teachers in CA, along with NY, DC, CT and NJ make in 100k range after about 20 years.

Last edited by CA4Now; 02-06-2017 at 07:45 PM..

Old 02-07-2017, 01:31 AM

2,170 posts, read 3,308,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Compare the starting and average pay for teachers. That will give you an idea of how many make a lot of money. Most are not making anywhere near six figures. My district has one (the district has to disclose the salaries of all employees making over $100k). You can't make anywhere near $100k in my district without doing things like teaching summer school or coaching.

$40k isn't enough to live on in many areas and you cannot count on a spouses income. For many the cost of day care makes working too expensive.
The cost of day care makes working too expensive? So no woman should work huh? And 40 K apparently is plenty in many parts of the country outside of the major metropolitan areas. Have you seen what the national median salary is? If you're district has one, you're probably in the cheap part of the country. just for example, check the salary scale for teachers in nassau and Suffolk County in New York State, well over 100K

Quote:
Hmm...I just looked up 3 public school districts in southern CA. After 20 years, the highest salary was $82,800 without a Master's. I can imagine that in the more rural areas of CA, the teachers do not make near that.
With like 32 districts in LA county not to mention the ones up in the Bay area,and in Ventura county, why in the heck would you look to the rural areas to make a point

Old 02-07-2017, 06:20 AM

Quote:
With like 32 districts in LA county not to mention the ones up in the Bay area,and in Ventura county, why in the heck would you look to the rural areas to make a point
Because you lumped the whole state of CA together when you said this:

Quote:
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching