Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2017, 05:11 PM

45,407 posts, read 60,592,880 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeErieHomes View Post
Well, there really is no logical reason that a high amount of students in special education are black other than racism.
And it's sexism that the vast majority of SPED students are male.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2017, 05:37 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Well, there really is no logical reason that a high amount of students in special education are black other than racism.
Except, they aren't when you control for other variables: SAGE Journals: Your gateway to world-class journal research: Are Black Children Disproportionately Overrepresented in Special Education? A Best-Evidence Synthesis Blacks are underrepresented compared to whites with similar academic achievement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
And it's sexism that the vast majority of SPED students are male.
They have shown that males who start school at an older age are less likely to be identified as special education. Typical male developmental lags and more kinetic learning styles often is in conflict with too many primary teachers' preferred teaching methods, and it only goes down hill from there.

Old 04-10-2017, 05:39 PM

50,826 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
As always, situations are different in different systems. I have heard of schools where the Black sped population was deemed unusually low, with claims they were being under-served.

Old 04-10-2017, 05:58 PM

45,407 posts, read 60,592,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post

They have shown that males who start school at an older age are less likely to be identified as special education. Typical male developmental lags and more kinetic learning styles often is in conflict with too many primary teachers' preferred teaching methods, and it only goes down hill from there.
I know, I was being sarcastic/facetious/a smart ass. Remember that this is the guy who's embarrassed if kids aren't on grade level.

Old 04-14-2017, 07:04 PM

6,292 posts, read 10,601,733 times
Quote:
It seems most teachers are experience what was described though.

My friend teaches 5th grade and last year had a student finish with about a 43 percent, and the school asked her to bump her up to a 70 so she didn't have to deal with the social stigma of being held back.

She tried all year to get her special education resources, but she was denied because the student was able to complete a basic 3rd grade addition and subtraction worksheet without help when she was in the 5th grade, so it was determined nothing was wrong with her.
I call BS. There is a lot of testing that goes into deciding if a student is eligible for SPED. It's not just 1 worksheet. Psycho-educational testing would need to be performed to determine if there is or is not a learning disability or other factor.

Old 04-18-2017, 10:47 PM

386 posts, read 327,363 times
These theories all sound great. However, facts indicate that the average reading level for adults in America is the 5th grade. Studies have also indicated that the normal attention span goes from a low of 5 minutes to a high of 20 minutes. 60% of new teachers quit and leave the profession within 5 years. (3out of 5).

Old 04-19-2017, 09:05 PM

152 posts, read 99,310 times
Update:

First of all thank you for all of your replies, I didn't expect this post to get THIS much attention.

I met with the certification program administrators and my professor today. They were all very nice, but said they were not willing to give me another placement. They did not say I could never ever be a teacher but basically that right now I am not cut out for it and I should explore other options.

I have a lot of thinking to do.

Old 04-19-2017, 09:14 PM

50,826 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassTerp94 View Post
Update:

First of all thank you for all of your replies, I didn't expect this post to get THIS much attention.

I met with the certification program administrators and my professor today. They were all very nice, but said they were not willing to give me another placement. They did not say I could never ever be a teacher but basically that right now I am not cut out for it and I should explore other options.

Just a suggestion -- would you consider teaching at, perhaps, the community college level? Or a "trade school"?

Old 04-20-2017, 06:45 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Update:

What are they doing about the grade?

Old 04-23-2017, 03:50 PM

24 posts, read 28,015 times
Quote:
So yesterday my professor called me and told me to pack up my things, my practicum was over. Now I had had a rocky experience, but just last week I was told they were willing to extend me by a couple weeks to allow more time for progress. I know parents and students had started filing complaints which I think was the final nail in the coffin. There will be a meeting with the people who run my postbac program to determine what the next steps should be, if allowed to continue at all.

I did enjoy teaching but I am trying to re-evaluate whether it's even worth it to try to continue or go do something else. Teaching has been the most physically and emotionally taxing thing I've ever undertaken.

Any advice?
As someone who has student taught, and is a licensed English-Language Arts teacher, I have some questions for you.

1. What level of teaching did you do? High school? Jr. high? Elementary School? Kindergarten?

2. What exactly happened in this "rocky experience", which resulted into parents complaining about you?

3. Do you want to continue on? It's your choice. Personally, I don't know if it would be worth it, or not, and there is no way I could have afforded another stint, without adequate income.

If you answer these questions, I can give you better advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching