Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 10:11 PM

2,634 posts, read 2,678,853 times

Advertisements

A lot of things like this might have bugged me my first year or two of teaching. Students commenting my lesson was boring, chuckling/smirking at me, etc. Students occasionally test you to see if you'll crack. If you do, it leads to more of the same. If you don't, typically they don't repeat it.
I've never had this happen to me, but the worst I've seen is downright heckling. Once a teacher has cracked enough times and students have her/him at their whim, they will start to heckle. That's a slippery slope to nonrenewal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2017, 05:57 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,736,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone Traveling View Post
If only the students were that nice. Teaching would be a perfect job.
My experience at all levels of high school from Abbott to gifted has been similar to the person you are quoting. If you are getting a lot of problems from students treating your poorly, you really need to look at your own actions.

Old 06-19-2017, 12:36 PM

50,823 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkb0714 View Post
My experience at all levels of high school from Abbott to gifted has been similar to the person you are quoting. If you are getting a lot of problems from students treating your poorly, you really need to look at your own actions.
There's a website that I hate -- RateMyTeacher.com -- where students and parents can go in and rate teachers in schools all across the country. There are some mean kids (and some mean parents) who go way overboard on it (which often reflects on them more than the teacher). HOWEVER, as a principal I would occasionally go in and read the reviews about me. Sometimes it stung a little, often I enjoyed the generous pats on the back. But with most of the educators rated, you could see a consensus of comments/ratings. I learned things about myself that I needed to change. Other things I could dismiss. And when I had a teacher struggling, there were times I suggested going in an reading comments that were written about them. From the mouth of babes...comes a lot of crapola, and a few truths.

Old 06-19-2017, 12:44 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,492,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
There's a website that I hate -- RateMyTeacher.com -- where students and parents can go in and rate teachers in schools all across the country. There are some mean kids (and some mean parents) who go way overboard on it (which often reflects on them more than the teacher). HOWEVER, as a principal I would occasionally go in and read the reviews about me. Sometimes it stung a little, often I enjoyed the generous pats on the back. But with most of the educators rated, you could see a consensus of comments/ratings. I learned things about myself that I needed to change. Other things I could dismiss. And when I had a teacher struggling, there were times I suggested going in an reading comments that were written about them. From the mouth of babes...comes a lot of crapola, and a few truths.

Question for you. Do you ever go in there before hiring and does it sway your opinion of the teacher enough to either hire or not hire him/her?

Old 06-19-2017, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnW View Post
Question for you. Do you ever go in there before hiring and does it sway your opinion of the teacher enough to either hire or not hire him/her?
Hmmmm. Interesting question. That never occurred to me, although in the last couple of years before retiring we often did a quick internet search for applicants. Glad we did. In an administrative opening case, we had who seemed like a wonderful candidate who had actually gotten caught selling a school's equipment to a school in Mexico. Weird. It would probably have been caught by the personnel office (particularly due to the fingerprinting database), but you never know.

Had I used ratemyteacher.com as you suggested, I would have taken it with a huge grain of salt as just one thing to consider. But, if someone's ratings had a consensus of negatives, I would have taken that into consideration and asked about various issues during the interview.

Old 06-19-2017, 01:56 PM

331 posts, read 370,005 times
Quote:
Hmmmm. Interesting question. That never occurred to me, although in the last couple of years before retiring we often did a quick internet search for applicants. Glad we did. In an administrative opening case, we had who seemed like a wonderful candidate who had actually gotten caught selling a school's equipment to a school in Mexico. Weird. It would probably have been caught by the personnel office (particularly due to the fingerprinting database), but you never know.

Had I used ratemyteacher.com as you suggested, I would have taken it with a huge grain of salt as just one thing to consider. But, if someone's ratings had a consensus of negatives, I would have taken that into consideration and asked about various issues during the interview.
Along the same lines, do you check Facebook and other social media sites?

Old 06-19-2017, 02:21 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,492,423 times
Quote:

Long story short, my school in CA hired a guy, he had been teaching in Mexico for 10 years. Once he was fingerprinted and the results came back, the police came in to the school, handcuffed him, and took him off. He was wanted for murder, a murder he committed in a drunken stupor during college (accident, he says.) He fled to Mexico before trial and thought since it had been 10 years he was safe to come back.

Your mention of Mexico sparked that memory!

Interesting.

Old 06-19-2017, 02:40 PM

359 posts, read 320,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
My students laugh when I want them to laugh and are serious when I demand seriousness.
Well smell you!

Old 06-19-2017, 04:31 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,163,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrknowitall526 View Post
Any school or system that doesn't these days is being negligent. I've heard of schools demanding passwords, that is going too far.

Old 06-19-2017, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrknowitall526 View Post
I retired a while back, so no.

But applicants should assume those are checked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching