Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 06:59 AM

65 posts, read 59,045 times

Advertisements

To be a good teacher/instructor/trainer you have to have thick skin. That is for sure.

The students are looking for weaknesses and self-doubt so they can exploit it. If they see you sweat, they got you. They will use every trick in the book to get the upper hand in the classroom.

One of the ways the students will try to get the upper hand is they will laugh at you. Not with you, but at you. It may be as simple as a smirk or a forced smile. Or a chuckle. Or in some cases just out and out laughter. Then they will see if it unnerves you. Do you lose your cool and show weakness due to being laughed at? Then you're dead in the students' eyes.

I am convinced the fear of being laughed at in class by the students is one of the main reasons why so many teachers/instructors and trainers are boring. They need to be taken seriously and as a result, they won't let their guard down. They remain serious, formal and keep it to the facts in the textbook. Formality is the best approach in their eye. Because if they try to be interesting and entertaining, they may be laughed at.

What a sad state of affairs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2017, 07:17 AM

4,381 posts, read 4,231,250 times
I think teachers need to have a sense of humor. If you take yourself too seriously, the students may try to unbalance you. My big fail this year was not being aware of the "Hell challenge." My students had a great time at my expense. I just let it slide and chalked it up to experience.

Old 06-15-2017, 07:37 AM

35,054 posts, read 31,258,424 times
One of my high school English teachers, who is also a minister and remains a friend, was a genuinely funny, personable guy. As far as being poked fun at, you have to let it roll off your back.

Old 06-15-2017, 08:00 AM

4,977 posts, read 5,763,878 times
In my experience, the best, most effective, and most loved, respected teachers had awesome senses of humor.

Learning can be fun. Teachers can make learning fun. Part of fun is having a sense of humor. And yes, sometimes that means students laugh at teachers. How the teachers react is key -- do they also learn to laugh at themselves (always a valuable trait), or do they become defensive?

Everyone should laugh at themselves.

Old 06-15-2017, 08:16 AM

1,412 posts, read 1,081,769 times
My students laugh when I want them to laugh and are serious when I demand seriousness.

Old 06-15-2017, 08:24 AM

65 posts, read 59,045 times
It is one thing for the students to laugh with the teacher/instructor and a completely different thing for the students to laugh at them to fluster the teacher or gain some type of control.

Old 06-15-2017, 08:29 AM

23,766 posts, read 29,034,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
My students laugh when I want them to laugh and are serious when I demand seriousness.

lol

Old 06-15-2017, 08:33 AM

5,103 posts, read 8,602,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gone Traveling View Post
It is one thing for the students to laugh with the teacher/instructor and a completely different thing for the students to laugh at them to fluster the teacher or gain some type of control.
This is a good point. Also, when you start to build community through group exercises (which can sometimes break up destructive cliques) that can help, as well. I'm back in the classroom on a very limited basis this summer. These are much, much different students from the ones I had in the 1980s. My problem is the short attention spans. I'll start a thread on it one of these days.

Old 06-15-2017, 10:28 AM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
To the OP: I hope you notice that most of the responses are basically positive, as opposed to your post which is extremely negative. The question is -- why the difference?

I think back to my student teaching in science, when there was also a student teacher in English. We had exactly the same students in exactly the same groups (they moved class by class together). I had a great student teaching experience. He flamed out and never became a teacher at all; in fact literally just walked out of the school one day never to return. The difference was not in the kids, the difference was in the two student teachers standing in the front of the room. After the student teacher quit, I talked to a small group of students who were the main issue, and one (you'd laugh if I could tell you his last name) looked at me and actually said, "It's our job to weed out the weak ones." Kids can be cruel, but I think sometimes they see right through all the bull----.

Old 06-15-2017, 11:47 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,486,415 times
There is only one girl who has laughed at me, but she has such emotional trauma in her life that I know it isn't me. She also picked fights, was rude to other teachers, and was pregnant by the end of the year. So, there ya go.

I can't imagine having kids laugh at me, rudely, on purpose, on any kind of regular basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching