Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 10:40 PM

472 posts, read 348,207 times

Advertisements

Question for middle/high school math teachers... I've currently taught math at high school full time for about five years mostly Algebra 1 and 2. For any middle/high school math teachers are out there, are you all happy with your jobs? I like a lot of things expect for the increase of phone usage and control. It seems as though when students are not allowed to use phones it's almost as though they are addicted to them. Also, I don't sometimes care for the intense evaluations. If a student or two is sleeping or not on task, it seems as though "it's the teachers fault". Even though these students have been warned about falling asleep or not working. I always feel as though if not everyone is on task each day it makes us look bad if the principal isn't in a good mood that day. Anyway just want to hear some thoughts. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2017, 04:37 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,803,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Educator1982 View Post
Question for middle/high school math teachers... I've currently taught math at high school full time for about five years mostly Algebra 1 and 2. For any middle/high school math teachers are out there, are you all happy with your jobs? I like a lot of things expect for the increase of phone usage and control. It seems as though when students are not allowed to use phones it's almost as though they are addicted to them. Also, I don't sometimes care for the intense evaluations. If a student or two is sleeping or not on task, it seems as though "it's the teachers fault". Even though these students have been warned about falling asleep or not working. I always feel as though if not everyone is on task each day it makes us look bad if the principal isn't in a good mood that day. Anyway just want to hear some thoughts. Thanks!
Many students (and adults) do not see the value in the math that is required for high school graduation. I find that my colleagues in other curricular areas view Algebra II and beyond as totally unnecessary for most people including themselves. They are not STEM-oriented and do not seem to believe that the reports that high-level mathematics and science are necessary for getting a good job in the United States and our future competitiveness. It has been my experience, especially at the elementary and middle levels, that the vast majority of teachers do not have a good understanding of global economic and demographic factors that are changing the working world. Ironically, despite not believing that mathematics and science are necessary for future job opportunities, they are not supportive of non-college bound programs such as trades and technical certification. These are fields with many unfilled good-paying jobs and are areas where many students who are disengaged might be more interested in the content if they had the opportunity to be exposed to these experiences in middle and high school.

Old 06-18-2017, 04:58 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
I agree. It was noted in my evaluation that ONE student was on his phone and one student was reading a book while I was teaching the lesson. I was just glad that student on his phone wasn't disrupting the class and that girl reading her book is telling me by her actions that she did the homework last night and has no questions. She likes to work ahead and reads a book if she has no questions the next day. It's frustrating that they ignore that 28 kids are on task and focus on the two who aren't. Depending on what is going on keeping teenagers off of cell phones can be like herding cats.

This is one of the issues I have with teaching. IMO if a student wants to not pay attention that should be on them. They need to learn that there is a correlation between paying attention and doing the work and the grade they get. Putting student engagement on the teacher bothers me more the higher up you go in grade. Ok, I'll remind the 9th grader who is learning how to navigate high school...and the 10th grader...but by 11th grade they should have learned that their effort is directly proportional to their grade. Forget 12th grade. If my 12th graders want to blow things off that is on them...or it should be. I feel I'm doing seniors a disservice to baby sit them. They're going to college or into training programs next year where it will be sink or swim.

Old 06-18-2017, 05:49 AM

807 posts, read 1,033,531 times
The administrators at my high school do not blame the teachers when students do no work and fail. High school kids are old enough to know better and should suffer the consequences of their own decisions. On the first day of school I tell my lower level kids (ones that are usually discipline problems or just lazy/poor students) that they will for sure learn one of two things, they will learn some chemistry, or they will learn that not working leads to failure. I have no problem teaching them either lesson.

Kids today have been spoon-fed and coddled their entire lives, we are raising a generation of kids that can not think on their own or function without never ending support. High schools need to be more rigorous, we need to stop teaching to the lowest common factor and start teaching so a high school diploma actually means something, not that you just showed up for four years. And if the drop-out rates increase, too bad. Kids need to learn that being lame leads to failure. It is better for them to learn this now then when they have jobs. I'm lucky to work in a school that believes this and will fight the parents that resist and still think their darling child is always right.

Old 06-18-2017, 06:49 AM

12,848 posts, read 9,060,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lincolnian View Post
Many students (and adults) do not see the value in the math that is required for high school graduation. I find that my colleagues in other curricular areas view Algebra II and beyond as totally unnecessary for most people including themselves. They are not STEM-oriented and do not seem to believe that the reports that high-level mathematics and science are necessary for getting a good job in the United States and our future competitiveness. It has been my experience, especially at the elementary and middle levels, that the vast majority of teachers do not have a good understanding of global economic and demographic factors that are changing the working world. Ironically, despite not believing that mathematics and science are necessary for future job opportunities, they are not supportive of non-college bound programs such as trades and technical certification. These are fields with many unfilled good-paying jobs and are areas where many students who are disengaged might be more interested in the content if they had the opportunity to be exposed to these experiences in middle and high school.

Some of the most true words I've seen on this board. People don't see value in math and science because they are taught early on that it isn't valuable. I had teachers growing up and so have my kids who made a point and joke of their own ignorance toward math and science. In fact the whole push to turn STEM into STEAM and now STREAM comes from the non STEM oriented people trying to water down the rigor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I agree. It was noted in my evaluation that ONE student was on his phone and one student was reading a book while I was teaching the lesson. I was just glad that student on his phone wasn't disrupting the class and that girl reading her book is telling me by her actions that she did the homework last night and has no questions. She likes to work ahead and reads a book if she has no questions the next day. It's frustrating that they ignore that 28 kids are on task and focus on the two who aren't. Depending on what is going on keeping teenagers off of cell phones can be like herding cats.

This is one of the issues I have with teaching. IMO if a student wants to not pay attention that should be on them. They need to learn that there is a correlation between paying attention and doing the work and the grade they get. Putting student engagement on the teacher bothers me more the higher up you go in grade. Ok, I'll remind the 9th grader who is learning how to navigate high school...and the 10th grader...but by 11th grade they should have learned that their effort is directly proportional to their grade. Forget 12th grade. If my 12th graders want to blow things off that is on them...or it should be. I feel I'm doing seniors a disservice to baby sit them. They're going to college or into training programs next year where it will be sink or swim.

The problem is, by that time they have learned that blowing things off that are hard doesn't matter because neither they, nor their parents, nor their elementary and middle teachers, believe these subjects have any value. They feel that you are wasting their time on a subject they don't need and by this age you aren't going to change that. You're fighting a battle that was already lost by sixth grade.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred44 View Post
The administrators at my high school do not blame the teachers when students do no work and fail. High school kids are old enough to know better and should suffer the consequences of their own decisions. On the first day of school I tell my lower level kids (ones that are usually discipline problems or just lazy/poor students) that they will for sure learn one of two things, they will learn some chemistry, or they will learn that not working leads to failure. I have no problem teaching them either lesson.

Kids today have been spoon-fed and coddled their entire lives, we are raising a generation of kids that can not think on their own or function without never ending support. High schools need to be more rigorous, we need to stop teaching to the lowest common factor and start teaching so a high school diploma actually means something, not that you just showed up for four years. And if the drop-out rates increase, too bad. Kids need to learn that being lame leads to failure. It is better for them to learn this now then when they have jobs. I'm lucky to work in a school that believes this and will fight the parents that resist and still think their darling child is always right.

I agree with your first paragraph about consequences of their decisions. The problem of course is the ones you are talking about don't see these as negative consequences. The potential future impact is too far out to mean anything.

The second paragraph does not need the obvious contempt toward students and parents. Yes, I know, it's trendy to claim "kids these days are ...." and "parents think their darling ...." but trendy doesn't make it true. It's very easy for parents to turn that around and say "schools these days ..." and "teachers think ..."

You aren't going to solve this problem by gleefully exclaiming "Look how many F's I gave. Sure taught those kids a lesson." The real solution is to get back to tracking and not have those kids in the rigorous course to start with, but steer them into trades and related courses they can relate to and see the value of. As so well stated by Lincolnian above.

Old 06-18-2017, 08:48 PM

331 posts, read 370,005 times
I love teaching math! Just finished my 8th year, I've been in 5 different schools with a lot of LTS positions so I've taught a variety: Pre-Algebra, Alg. 1 (to 8th graders as "honors" 9th grades "on track" and 10th graders "applied"), Alg. 2, Applied Geometry, and Honors Geometry. I absolutely LOVE Honors Geo. Alg. 1 is fairly boring but a super easy prep, and I've done it so many times it's a well-oiled machine.

This year, many, many of my Alg. 1 students told me I was the best math teacher they've ever had (9th grade CP students). I had a class of 29 where more than 12 students got very high A's -- it was the highest-achieving Alg. 1 class I've ever had! Honors Geometry is a really exciting and rigorous course.

I've wanted to be a math teacher since the 8th grade, so maybe I'm a bit biased. I'm a true math nerd, my kids know it, and that makes it all the more fun! I love to tell corny jokes, especially in Honors Geo. Having a great sense of humor is a real important key.

Old 06-19-2017, 04:17 PM

927 posts, read 883,864 times
I wish I was evaluated the standardized test scores of my students and not observational data. Evaluate me on the progression of the students on my roster from the start of the year until the end of the year. Don't punish me for the one's that you moved into my classroom in the middle of the year.

If I am increasing their standardized test scores, then I'm doing my job. If I am lowering their standardized test scores, and you have worked with a similar group of students and increased their standardized test scores, then please offer suggestions and I'll give them a shot.

I always get great evaluations. The only negative comment I've received was "You're going too fast for some students". Duh? This is an accelerated Algebra class and the child you're mentioning did not meet the pre-requisites to be in this class and the parent complained to admin until they switched their schedule. They joined the class 3 weeks into the school year and missed all the foundation required for success in this curriculum. I'm not slowing down the progression of the other 90% of my students.

Last year I had 115 students (I know right? 23 student classes!). Of these 115, 45 went up an achievement level, 65 stayed at their achievement level, and 5 went down an achievement level. The (7) students that were already at a Level 4 all had their scale score increase an average of 58 points. Judge me based on that, not whether or not there's student work on the wall, or if the objective/standard is clearly written on the board, or if a student is not taking notes.

Old 06-19-2017, 04:27 PM

4,139 posts, read 11,492,423 times
Quote:
I didn't open this thread before because I don't teach math, I have been an English teacher, but many of the same things apply.

Phones are my NEMESIS! if I could smash them, I swear, I would! But I haven't been written up for students being on them.

At my school, a teacher took a phone away this year and was punched in the face. I refuse to touch the phones. An AP told me, "You can take the phones away." I said, "Until I am assured of not getting physically harmed for doing so, I am not touching the phones." She replied, "Fair enough."

I had one student who would fall asleep first block a lot. He had a job and worked late. Man, the class sure was peaceful when he was sleeping.

Old 06-25-2017, 08:45 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,898,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred44 View Post

You work with a good district

I am not a teacher but I know several in various districts across the country, thanks to multiple job transfers over the years. One of friends teaches 2 math classes--Trigonometry II and Calculus I. She loves teaching math and has been a teacher for over 20 years now. She got marked down on an evaluation because one of her students was playing around on his mobile phone in the back of the class during an observation. I find it ridiculous that the teacher should be dinged because the kid can't stay off his phone--these are high school students, not elementary kids.

Totally agree with the second paragraph. Ugh, I've heard too many horror stories about kids coming into the classroom with no manners/respect and the parents blaming the teacher when the kid inevitably creates trouble at school. Seems like there's a subset of parents who have outsourced the parenting to the teachers and other school administration. I started kindergarten in the mid 70's and graduated high school in 1988. There were only a few times that I got into trouble at school but I was in even bigger trouble when I got home

Old 07-19-2017, 06:01 PM

472 posts, read 348,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
You work with a good district

I am not a teacher but I know several in various districts across the country, thanks to multiple job transfers over the years. One of friends teaches 2 math classes--Trigonometry II and Calculus I. She loves teaching math and has been a teacher for over 20 years now. She got marked down on an evaluation because one of her students was playing around on his mobile phone in the back of the class during an observation. I find it ridiculous that the teacher should be dinged because the kid can't stay off his phone--these are high school students, not elementary kids.

Totally agree with the second paragraph. Ugh, I've heard too many horror stories about kids coming into the classroom with no manners/respect and the parents blaming the teacher when the kid inevitably creates trouble at school. Seems like there's a subset of parents who have outsourced the parenting to the teachers and other school administration. I started kindergarten in the mid 70's and graduated high school in 1988. There were only a few times that I got into trouble at school but I was in even bigger trouble when I got home
I agree! I don't like it that it's the teachers fault! Excellent point!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching