Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 09:13 AM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times

Advertisements

I think he should have resigned as well. People who resort to deception don't belong in positions of authority and should be held to a higher standard. Deception erodes trust and trust is necessary when you have someone involved with your children and the most vulnerable people. Con artists lie and cheat, and that mentality deserves to be kicked to the curb. That teacher was conning people to defend his fragile ego. For someone to be that small over a comment makes me wonder what other dishonest act he would be capable of. I would have fired him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 10:29 AM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Yeah, protecting his reputation. I find it somewhat fascinating that no details of these argumentative posts have surfaced. One would think that the aggrieved mother would have saved some of these posts.

The whole thing smells. Small town school politics is toxic and I think this guy, and his wife, got caught up in it.

I taught for over 30 years and saw how one or two parents or community members could ruin a teacher with baseless accusations.
While I think that he was wrong to set up fake accounts I believe that he was just trying to find out what was being said about him and the drama program.

I remember when our kindergarten teacher mentioned that the day after kindergarten orientation in March some of the parents had already set up a closed Facebook group only for parents of that class of kindergarteners that weren't even starting until the fall. She discovered it because one of her close friends was going to have a child in kindergarten.

Old 02-10-2018, 11:07 AM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyNameIsBellaMia View Post
Only very unprofessional people and twits use open facebook. If someone is as stupid as this person was, I sure don't want him/her teaching anyone's kids!
I know lots of great teachers who have Facebook "accounts". That's not the issue, in my view. The issue is what I'll call sneaky activity and trying to infiltrate school-related groups through deception. That does bother me. Whether you're a teacher or a principal (or anyone else in the education field), there are going to be critics, and you just need to get past that and do your job.

Old 02-10-2018, 11:33 AM

17,183 posts, read 22,898,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
While I think that he was wrong to set up fake accounts I believe that he was just trying to find out what was being said about him and the drama program.

I remember when our kindergarten teacher mentioned that the day after kindergarten orientation in March some of the parents had already set up a closed Facebook group only for parents of that class of kindergarteners that weren't even starting until the fall. She discovered it because one of her close friends was going to have a child in kindergarten.
I see nothing wrong with closed facebook groups for a class. It allows parents to be honest about their feelings and what they like and dislike about the class or the teachers. I'm sorry, but there is no teacher privilege to see what is being said about them. And the teacher was wrong to try to get into these groups by deception, imo.

Old 02-10-2018, 11:49 AM

12,836 posts, read 9,029,433 times
Quote:

And ....? Why does it even matter if there is or is not a Facebook account or if it is closed or not?

Old 02-10-2018, 11:51 AM

331 posts, read 369,425 times
I definitely feel he was in the wrong. BUT, why are people not harping on the people who accepted the friend request? If it was indeed a "fake" account with a fake picture of a "Kennebunk-looking mom" - why would people accept a friend request from someone they don't know?! That's rule #1 to social media.

I feel like that's a part of the problem here. Are those people being shady and deceptive, though? No, just foolish and irresponsible online.

Old 02-10-2018, 12:03 PM

666 posts, read 512,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Yeah, protecting his reputation. I find it somewhat fascinating that no details of these argumentative posts have surfaced. One would think that the aggrieved mother would have saved some of these posts.
Actually, what's fascinating is that people are immediately siding with someone who displayed the behavior that is common among deviants and the mentally imbalanced. Setting up fake profiles at social media sites (to the point of faking your gender) is the M.O. of every troll, catfisher, phisher, scammer, sock puppet and pedophile. No mentally or emotionally stable person would ever do this kind of stuff, would be so obsessed with wanting to know what people were saying in an online private group that they'd create two fake profiles and then go on to start friending people.

So regardless of whatever this group might've been saying on Facebook, there's something clearly off about him based on his behavior, especially the fact that he was friending people. Why didn't he friend these people under his real account? Because they didn't want to friend him? So he decides, "Okay, I'll just get them to friend me anyway under a fake profile so they won't know it's me?"

Anyone else besides me seeing how disturbing this behavior is?

Old 02-10-2018, 12:07 PM

45,336 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I see nothing wrong with closed facebook groups for a class. It allows parents to be honest about their feelings and what they like and dislike about the class or the teachers. I'm sorry, but there is no teacher privilege to see what is being said about them. And the teacher was wrong to try to get into these groups by deception, imo.
Here's the rabbit hole you go down with that. Those self same parents will print out the online complaints and with great ceremony present them to the Principal and demand he "do something" about that teacher.

And those parents won't accept an assurance that the alleged problems will be looked into, they'll be at the next school board meeting demanding action.

When I went on terminal sick leave here is a sampling of what was said about me, from my colleagues:

From just one teacher to a class he and I shared:
In rehab.
Been arrested.
Overdosed.
Been suspended for improprieties with a student.

He thought he was being funny. It wasn't.

From a Vice-Principal:
Died.
Been arrested.

I found out because the kids got hold of me and let me know it was being said. Plus, a couple parents contacted me.

Old 02-10-2018, 12:12 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
And ....? Why does it even matter if there is or is not a Facebook account or if it is closed or not?
In the situation I mentioned the teacher was a little concerned because while there were a few other "class" Facebook groups or grade level Facebook groups no one (at least as far as the teachers in the building knew) had every set up a closed group before, especially seven months before the class even started.

There is a little more to the story, apparently there were a number of parents who appeared to be rather over-bearing/domineering/etc. at the orientation meeting and the group being closed, and started so early, was a huge red flag. As it happened, it may have caused a few problems but nothing major.

Old 02-10-2018, 01:29 PM

50,766 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I agree that his behavior was inappropriate. But so is vicious gossip. The difference is, he had a professional responsibility, the parents did not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching