Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2018, 01:31 PM

51,175 posts, read 24,645,935 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastFlatbush View Post
Actually, what's fascinating is that people are immediately siding with someone who displayed the behavior that is common among deviants and the mentally imbalanced. Setting up fake profiles at social media sites (to the point of faking your gender) is the M.O. of every troll, catfisher, phisher, scammer, sock puppet and pedophile. No mentally or emotionally stable person would ever do this kind of stuff, would be so obsessed with wanting to know what people were saying in an online private group that they'd create two fake profiles and then go on to start friending people.

So regardless of whatever this group might've been saying on Facebook, there's something clearly off about him based on his behavior, especially the fact that he was friending people. Why didn't he friend these people under his real account? Because they didn't want to friend him? So he decides, "Okay, I'll just get them to friend me anyway under a fake profile so they won't know it's me?"

Anyone else besides me seeing how disturbing this behavior is?
And here you are posting under an anonymous screen name. Different, but not that different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2018, 01:41 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,765,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
I see nothing wrong with closed facebook groups for a class. It allows parents to be honest about their feelings and what they like and dislike about the class or the teachers. I'm sorry, but there is no teacher privilege to see what is being said about them. And the teacher was wrong to try to get into these groups by deception, imo.
By this same token, teachers' lounges (both real and virtual) should be seen as perfectly acceptable forums to discuss parents, etc., but many find this is wholly unacceptable.

Old 02-10-2018, 02:34 PM

49,926 posts, read 60,193,302 times
Quote:
I see nothing wrong with closed facebook groups for a class. It allows parents to be honest about their feelings and what they like and dislike about the class or the teachers. I'm sorry, but there is no teacher privilege to see what is being said about them. And the teacher was wrong to try to get into these groups by deception, imo.
What's even weirder to me is that the person who reported him is not a mom. She doesn't have a kid in the program, so was she in the private FB parent groups? If yes, why? If no, why did she stick her nose in it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastFlatbush View Post

Anyone else besides me seeing how disturbing this behavior is?
Nah, it's pretty clever. A bad decision, but clever nonetheless.

He's being deceptive, not deviant. There IS a difference.

Old 02-10-2018, 03:35 PM

17,183 posts, read 23,005,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
Here's the rabbit hole you go down with that. Those self same parents will print out the online complaints and with great ceremony present them to the Principal and demand he "do something" about that teacher.

And those parents won't accept an assurance that the alleged problems will be looked into, they'll be at the next school board meeting demanding action.

When I went on terminal sick leave here is a sampling of what was said about me, from my colleagues:

From just one teacher to a class he and I shared:
In rehab.
Been arrested.
Overdosed.
Been suspended for improprieties with a student.

He thought he was being funny. It wasn't.

From a Vice-Principal:
Died.
Been arrested.

I found out because the kids got hold of me and let me know it was being said. Plus, a couple parents contacted me.
Sorry, I don't think that gives you the right to join a closed group. Many of the closed groups I am on won't accept anyone they don't know because they share private information (autism parents groups). Often we don't accept even other autism parents who have children with different degrees of autism because we need a place where we can share our feelings about this syndrome.

Others groups involve parents of children who died.

As parents, btw, they have the right to demand action from the school about various problems. Look at the survivors of sexual abuse by teachers.

Old 02-10-2018, 03:44 PM

45,594 posts, read 60,986,153 times
Quote:
Sorry, I don't think that gives you the right to join a closed group. Many of the closed groups I am on won't accept anyone they don't know because they share private information (autism parents groups). Often we don't accept even other autism parents who have children with different degrees of autism because we need a place where we can share our feelings about this syndrome.

Others groups involve parents of children who died.

As parents, btw, they have the right to demand action from the school about various problems. Look at the survivors of sexual abuse by teachers.
You are correct, but once again I have to say I'm curious about these "accusations" from the closed parent group.

And nothing gives parents the right to make accusations about a teacher and then hide. As I said, they'd come in and drop them on the Principal and he is going to have to follow a due process procedure.

Old 02-10-2018, 04:16 PM

51,175 posts, read 24,645,935 times
The problem with "closed groups", whether online or in person, is that the group often feeds off itself and doesn't take in all the information available.

Let me recreate a telephone conversation I once had as principal.

Parent: Mr. L, we have a little group that has been talking among ourselves, and we don't think you're a very open principal.
Principal: Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. Each month I am here at the school one evening when I have an open forum and any parent can come in and ask me questions. Have you or anyone in your group ever attended?
Parent: Well, no.
Principal: And at the monthly PTA meeting, a part of that is a question/answer session where I answer virtually any question, unless it's information that is legally confidential. All parents can attend the PTA meeting. Do any of you?
Principal: So how did you come to your conclusion.
Parent: Well, Mr. H, the principal over at the elementary school sent out a survey to all parents and then shared the results with a follow-up letter. You see how open he is?
Principal: Well, Mr. H didn't send out that survey. Each of us principals is evaluated that way every third year, and the survey is sent out to parents by the central office, as are the results. I was evaluated the same way this year. And our results will be published to the community 2 weeks from now.
Parent: Well you must have made sure that certain parents were not on the list, because none of us in our little group got a survey.
Principal: Well, that's because the school system's central office puts all the parent names and addresses into the computer, and it randomly sends surveys to 25% of the parents in the school.
Parent: [long silence]
Principal: But even though the results have not been mailed to the community, I have the results now. I'll be happy to give you the results. Are there any of the questions you would most like to compare between our results and Mr. H's results over at the elementary school.

So, she went through all the questions and the parent was stunned to see that our school and me as principal had better results in almost every question.

Principal: So, why don't you and your group come in and chat some time. We can even do it over lunch if you would like.
Parent: No, we wish to remain anonymous.
Principal: I can see why. Well, all of you in your little group, you just feel free to call anytime and ask whatever questions you would like. I'll answer any question that doesn't involve legally confidential information. And thank you for calling, Mrs. J----.
Parent: [long dead silence].

That's what's wrong with these closed and anonymous parent groups. Frankly, these little groups all to often get involved in character assassination.

Old 02-10-2018, 06:32 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,266,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
The problem with "closed groups", whether online or in person, is that the group often feeds off itself and doesn't take in all the information available.

Let me recreate a telephone conversation I once had as principal.

Parent: Mr. L, we have a little group that has been talking among ourselves, and we don't think you're a very open principal.
Principal: Oh, I'm sorry to hear that. Each month I am here at the school one evening when I have an open forum and any parent can come in and ask me questions. Have you or anyone in your group ever attended?
Principal: And at the monthly PTA meeting, a part of that is a question/answer session where I answer virtually any question, unless it's information that is legally confidential. All parents can attend the PTA meeting. Do any of you?
Principal: So how did you come to your conclusion.
Parent: Well, Mr. H, the principal over at the elementary school sent out a survey to all parents and then shared the results with a follow-up letter. You see how open he is?
Principal: Well, Mr. H didn't send out that survey. Each of us principals is evaluated that way every third year, and the survey is sent out to parents by the central office, as are the results. I was evaluated the same way this year. And our results will be published to the community 2 weeks from now.
Parent: Well you must have made sure that certain parents were not on the list, because none of us in our little group got a survey.
Principal: Well, that's because the school system's central office puts all the parent names and addresses into the computer, and it randomly sends surveys to 25% of the parents in the school.
Parent: [long silence]
Principal: But even though the results have not been mailed to the community, I have the results now. I'll be happy to give you the results. Are there any of the questions you would most like to compare between our results and Mr. H's results over at the elementary school.

So, she went through all the questions and the parent was stunned to see that our school and me as principal had better results in almost every question.

Principal: So, why don't you and your group come in and chat some time. We can even do it over lunch if you would like.
Parent: No, we wish to remain anonymous.
Principal: I can see why. Well, all of you in your little group, you just feel free to call anytime and ask whatever questions you would like. I'll answer any question that doesn't involve legally confidential information. And thank you for calling, Mrs. J----.
Parent: [long dead silence].

That's what's wrong with these closed and anonymous parent groups. Frankly, these little groups all to often get involved in character assassination.
Thanks for sharing that great example.

Old 02-10-2018, 06:37 PM

24,201 posts, read 19,314,678 times
A teacher having a private facebook account, or using a pseudonym seems perfectly appropriate to me. But that's not what this guy did - he set up fake accounts to infiltrate a parent group that he would not have had access to as a teacher. That's highly inappropriate and certainly worth of discipline, even if not to the extent of being fired. But I do think it's VERY problematic. That's a separate issue from whether these parent groups have their own issues - but that doesn't give a teacher the right to try to spy on one.

Old 02-10-2018, 07:10 PM

587 posts, read 226,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1
But that's the thing, he didn't use open Facebook, he used a dummy accounts. I believe there were two and at least one utilized a district email account. What the parent is really upset about is him creating dummy accounts, the whole he used a district email is just her leverage. Is it a problem for teachers to have fake accounts?
Hmmmm ya gotta wonder HOW FAKE THE ACCOUNT WAS if this mother knew about it?? (If it was in a different name NOONE would know it was him)

I feel bad for him getting tangled up in this but I dont see why he shouldnt be able to keep his job.....

Old 02-10-2018, 07:59 PM

666 posts, read 516,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And here you are posting under an anonymous screen name. Different, but not that different.
I understand completely. You're so intent on defending this person, you don't care what it takes to do it. If it means demeaning yourself by making foolish analogies, then so be it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching