Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2018, 03:23 PM

666 posts, read 513,396 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Wonder how you would feel if you knew you were the topic of multiple posts in a group closed you but open to a large group of other people, some of whom you didn't even know.
Wahhh...boo hoo hoo.

Years ago, I was doxxed by a lunatic over a blog that didn't involve him but he took "personally" because it involved a "Facebook friend" of his. (Not a real life friend. A Facebook friend who he barely knew himself.) After doxxing me, he plastered my name all over the Facebook group they shared and instigated the entire group to start trash talking me, then kick up conspiracy theories about me. I never met this guy a day in my life, didn't even know he existed until he started stalking me on my blog and YouTube and this, I repeat, was over a blog that had nothing to do with him at all and didn't concern him.

Oh, wow! Guess I should've gone all bunny boiler on this guy and the Facebook group, created a couple of fake accounts to join their group to see what they were saying about me and then argued with them. Oh, wait. I didn't do anything because strangers ranting about me on the web don't mean anything and don't affect me personally in any way, shape or form. Besides, doing something crazy like that and getting caught in the process would've validated them in some way or played into their hands. People being mean on the internet is not nice, but creating socks to spy on them and then going so far as to befriend people under false profiles as a response to that is just plain crazy.

Now you're your own person, and you're free to take things to that level if you experience something like this. But I'm telling you--if you do that, it doesn't matter how "mean" or "unfair" people are being. You will come off as unhinged and the worse out of everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2018, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zeppelin View Post
Oh I figured you'd play that card. It fits. Nope. you didn't hit close to home.
Then why lash out personally at me as if I was personally attacking you when I was talking about this teacher?

Old 02-11-2018, 03:28 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
Was your career placed in jeopardy because somebody didn't like your blog/YouTube?

Probably not, as you note that, "strangers ranting about me on the web don't mean anything and don't affect me personally in any way, shape or form."

On the other hand, parents spreading potential untruths about a teacher in their district can be a career-killer, easy.

Old 02-11-2018, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
By those measures the same could be said of more than a few CD posters. Fictional ID's, no profiles or comic ones and lots of arguing.

So, "there is clearly something wrong" with most CD participants.
I'm going to tell you what I told the other poster who made this same comment. You are demeaning yourself when you make this kind of false equivalence. Not being clever. Demeaning yourself.

Old 02-11-2018, 03:39 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,606,010 times
This, from the article, is really interesting to me.

Quote:
Group members became suspicious when “Carol Lewis” posts began to appear, and seemed argumentative, according to Trentalange. She said some students did a search and discovered that the profile had been created using Herman’s RSU 21 e-mail address.
So, this woman, who does not have a student involved in the programs being complained about, and/or others, induced students to do recon work on a teacher. And this somehow doesn't seem like a vendetta?

Gossipy mom groups are their own thing. Now you've got gossipy mom groups involving their kids in "bringing down" a teacher. So that's interesting.

Did anybody else catch that, per the article, the fall play was Arthur Miller's The Crucible? An allegory about witch hunts? That's interesting, as well.

Old 02-11-2018, 03:40 PM

49,927 posts, read 59,984,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastFlatbush View Post
Wahhh...boo hoo hoo.

Years ago, I was doxxed by a lunatic over a blog that didn't involve him but he took "personally" because it involved a "Facebook friend" of his. (Not a real life friend. A Facebook friend who he barely knew himself.) After doxxing me, he plastered my name all over the Facebook group they shared and instigated the entire group to start trash talking me, then kick up conspiracy theories about me. I never met this guy a day in my life, didn't even know he existed until he started stalking me on my blog and YouTube and this, I repeat, was over a blog that had nothing to do with him at all and didn't concern him.

Oh, wow! Guess I should've gone all bunny boiler on this guy and the Facebook group, created a couple of fake accounts to join their group to see what they were saying about me and then argued with them. Oh, wait. I didn't do anything because strangers ranting about me on the web don't mean anything and don't affect me personally in any way, shape or form. Besides, doing something crazy like that and getting caught in the process would've validated them in some way or played into their hands. People being mean on the internet is not nice, but creating socks to spy on them and then going so far as to befriend people under false profiles as a response to that is just plain crazy.

Now you're your own person, and you're free to take things to that level if you experience something like this. But I'm telling you--if you do that, it doesn't matter how "mean" or "unfair" people are being. You will come off as unhinged and the worse out of everyone.
You certainly do appear to lead a very dramatic life No wonder this thread has gotten to you.

Of course, these weren't "internet strangers" in the OP but parents of kids in his class, so ... sorta similar but not actually.

Old 02-11-2018, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post

Did anybody else catch that, per the article, the fall play was Arthur Miller's The Crucible? An allegory about witch hunts? That's interesting, as well.
Hee hee

That kind of inference doesn't often get noticed here

Old 02-11-2018, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TabulaRasa View Post
Was your career placed in jeopardy because somebody didn't like your blog/YouTube?

Probably not, as you note that, "strangers ranting about me on the web don't mean anything and don't affect me personally in any way, shape or form."
These people were posting libelous things about me that would've easily gotten them sued for defamation, hands down, so you don't know what you're talking about.

But never mind that. I saw what was going on, said, "They're just talking on CrapBook. CrapBook is inconsequential. Let's see how far this goes. If it goes outside of CrapBook, then I'll seek legal counsel and proceed from there. But right now, it just looks like a bunch of crazies who don't know me spouting off at the mouth on some stupid social media site. If I just ignore them/don't engage them, nothing will happen." Which is exactly what did happen.

Now if I had gone bunny boiler on them, not only would I have validated these lunatics, I would've fomented the talking. But I waited, collected evidence "just in case" I had to get a lawyer, and that was the end of it. Which is what this nut job should've done if he truly felt they were defaming him and putting his career on the line.

Old 02-11-2018, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdieBelle View Post
You certainly do appear to lead a very dramatic life No wonder this thread has gotten to you.
I don't lead a dramatic life, Miss Condescending. This was an isolated incident that happened ages ago. I didn't even remember it happened until another person played the condescending "this has never happened to you, card." Then I remembered it. I wouldn't have even remembered or brought it up if not for that comment.

And this story caught my attention because having dealt with sock puppets and fake profilers before, I was shocked and appalled that people are just casually tossing it aside as something on the level of a cute little joke, a prank, even. Anyone whose dealt with these types knows that it's usually crazy people or people with some other type of issue that resorts to this type of thing. Again, I repeat, if people fake profiles just to "eavesdrop" on a forum, that's normal, but when people actually start interacting with others with this fake persona and getting people to friend them based on a fake image/profile, there's something off there.

Old 02-11-2018, 04:14 PM

Quote:
I don't lead a dramatic life, Miss Condescending.
That's MRS. Condescending to you.

Quote:
I was shocked and appalled that people are just casually tossing it aside as something on the level of a cute little joke, a prank, even.
I went back and read through the whole thread. Not one post here does that.

Quote:
Again, I repeat, if people fake profiles just to "eavesdrop" on a forum, that's normal...
Wait ... so you're admitting there are LEVELS of crazy? Is that what's happening?

You have seriously overplayed your hand here. We get it ... you had a bad experience. But you've attached a whole ton of leftover drama from YOUR situation to this one. You're "shocked and appalled" for nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching