Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 07:53 AM

807 posts, read 1,032,468 times

Advertisements

Who has metal detectors at the entrance of your school?

I brought this up to our principal, he said it would be expensive, but also difficult to implement when 1500 kids are coming into school at the same time in the morning. I say BS. Perhaps the logistics needs to be thought out, but it can be done.

If you have metal detectors, how has it worked out, has it changed the culture of your school, and are their problems getting everyone in during the morning rush?

I think they are a necessity. Most school shooters simply enter through the front door with a backpack full of weapons. Drills are great, maybe, they will prevent some deaths, but even one death is too many. Keeping guns out of school is a much better idea.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2018, 08:02 AM

50,759 posts, read 24,261,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred44 View Post

I brought this up to our principal, he said it would be expensive, but also difficult to implement when 1500 kids are coming into school at the same time in the morning. I say BS. Perhaps the logistics needs to be thought out, but it can be done.

If you have metal detectors, how has it worked out, has it changed the culture of your school, and are their problems getting everyone in during the morning rush?

I think they are a necessity. Most school shooters simply enter through the front door with a backpack full of weapons. Drills are great, maybe, they will prevent some deaths, but even one death is too many. Keeping guns out of school is a much better idea.
I have no problem with metal detectors, but they're not going to keep out a school shooter "with a backpack full of weapons".

Old 02-19-2018, 08:11 AM

20,098 posts, read 8,998,912 times
you would need many hours to process 1500 through a metal detector, once you walk through it and you need to be wanded with a handheld magnetometer to identify the source once it alerts.

Plus you need another machine to place your backpacks and lunchboxes through. Each one will need to be examined also.

Of course if you had multiple machines and 8-10 people to monitor them the process could be done quicker but still take an hour or more. How many schools have the space for the security equipment at entrances. Where do the kids line up to wait to go through security? 1500 students would create a line more than a half mile giving each student 2 feet of space with one machine. There are 150,000 schools in the United States.

Old 02-19-2018, 04:28 PM

20,123 posts, read 16,144,906 times
Quote:

Unless your school is situated in a gang infested area getting metal detectors are a waste of time, resources, and student good will. At worst, the odds of your school being subjected to a mass shooting are less than 1 in 100,000 - not worth it.

Old 02-19-2018, 04:35 PM

4,381 posts, read 4,231,250 times
We have metal detectors and they are used on each student who comes in the front door. It is incredibly easy to get in the building without going through the front door. These days, they also have the students take their phones out of their book bags to be scanned separately as the phones make the metal detector go off. The students put their bookbag and phone on a table, pass through the metal detector, then they are scanned with a hand-held wand if necessary. It doesn't cause a great delay and everyone is now used to the drill. We've had them for at least 20 years, but most years the students weren't properly screened. At least now we go through the motions correctly.

Our school is in a high-crime area where many, if not most, of the kids have easy access to guns. I think I posted about the student whose father came to school after being called by his teacher. The father shot at the son as a form of discipline. We have to assume that the parents are armed as well. Fortunately, our school does not fit the profile of the typical high school where a mass shooting takes place. We have had two drive-by shootings, which is more typical of our local problems.

Old 02-19-2018, 05:14 PM

2,678 posts, read 2,097,066 times
A school shooter with a backpack full of weapons won't let a metal detector stop him. He's there to kill, not obey rules. If the metal detector is monitored that person will be the first victim.

Old 02-19-2018, 05:18 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,720,029 times
Quote:

Many schools like mine and the one in parkland are built on the campus model and the idea of metal detectors would be ridiculous. We literally have over a dozen buildings with one or two rooms in them, and no hallways let alone a place to put in a metal detector and hire over a dozen different people to staff them.

Beside if someone like Nikolas Cruz wants to cause death without getting inside he would just shot them as they are headed out to the bus.

Old 02-19-2018, 05:32 PM

4,196 posts, read 4,449,313 times
I have only seen them in schools in bad neighborhoods with gang activity.

Perhaps this has happened already, but when do you think we will get an attempted school shooting where the students go Lord of The Flies on the perpetrator and beat / club the perpetrator to death?

I know they train young schoolchildren to throw stuff at a potential shooter from talking with nephews and nieces. I keep thinking of the desks we had in Junior High and High School and how easy it would be to turn them all on side (hold them sort of as an unwieldy shield) and all rush toward the perpetrator using the desk as ram rod and crush the shooter.

Perhaps after a showing of Braveheart in a film class and they hear Mel Gibson's famous war speech?

Old 02-19-2018, 05:57 PM

10,060 posts, read 7,229,638 times
The fact that we are discussing militirizing schools is a big part of our problem. They're schools, not FOBs in Afghanistan.

No it won't do any good, but it seems we love to discuss boondoggles these days. We waste money on worse I suppose, so why not this?

I remember discussing this type of thing WAY back in the aftermath of Columbine. Seriously, is this the best we can do? 20 years of these incidents and we can't come up with any better ideas?

Old 02-19-2018, 06:31 PM

5,423 posts, read 3,482,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhpartridge View Post
<snip>Fortunately, our school does not fit the profile of the typical high school where a mass shooting takes place. <end snip>
What is the profile of this typical high school?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching