Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2018, 01:39 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,256,790 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corvette Ministries View Post
Does the school get "points" of some sort for sending students on to college or to the Marines?
They have to do student outcomes reports for their state department of education, reporting percentages of students who go to college, the military, work, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2018, 05:36 PM

3,663 posts, read 5,676,018 times
I am actually quite shocked that no one has mentioned the fact that any other employer would be sued for allowing this sexual harassment to go on under their noses and maintaining the brush-it-under-the-rug workplace. What other workplace allows this? Teachers need to not only press charges against the student, but sue any district that allows sexual harrassment, even from the students.

Those outside the profession or who work in more sheltered environments don't realize how much bullying and sexual harassment of teachers by students exists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
Uhm... did you not read the OP, that is exactly what does currently happen. The all too often current practice is teacher is counseled to learn better student management techniques to prevent a future occurrence. The assaulted teacher might even lose their job over it. The question is should it continue and does it ultimately do a disservice for the student and/or society.
Harkens back to blaming the female. "Well, her skirt was too short..."

Old 11-21-2018, 06:17 PM

13,480 posts, read 8,385,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everdeen View Post
I am actually quite shocked that no one has mentioned the fact that any other employer would be sued for allowing this sexual harassment to go on under their noses and maintaining the brush-it-under-the-rug workplace. What other workplace allows this? Teachers need to not only press charges against the student, but sue any district that allows sexual harrassment, even from the students.
."
I did mention that it's against the law to tell someone they can't report an assault to the police. An employer can't tell someone that works for them, that they can't report something to cops. It's amazingly arrogant that anyone would try to strip someone of their basic human rights this way. "Yes, you were hit/punched/sexually assaulted, but don't you dare report it to the police."

Old 11-21-2018, 06:39 PM

50,826 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
I did mention that it's against the law to tell someone they can't report an assault to the police. An employer can't tell someone that works for them, that they can't report something to cops. It's amazingly arrogant that anyone would try to strip someone of their basic human rights this way. "Yes, you were hit/punched/sexually assaulted, but don't you dare report it to the police."
Just out of curiosity, what law is that?

Old 11-21-2018, 07:21 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
No. We shouldn't have a nation where there is no redemption. There should be serious consequences. But not life-ending consequences.
Yes, there should be life-ending consequences.

People need to learn from a very early age that there is zero tolerance for violence, and that there will be life-long consequences who ignore that reality.

Those who cannot handle the consequences of their actions may opt-out of life by any manner of their choosing, or they can emigrate from the US to another country.

Old 11-21-2018, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Just out of curiosity, what law is that?
Obstruction of justice. If your employer tells you you'll get fired if you report something illegal to the police, that's obstruction of justice.

Old 11-21-2018, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanArt View Post
When I was twelve and I was "discovering myself" and discovering girls ( like it should be ) I did a lot of things that would probably qualify me for being kicked out of the school or even losing my job. I try to be free and happy now in real life and find myself getting stopped by the mall security/police every once in awhile.

Took the fun out of life. I horseplay with girls when I go to work. Many of them have boyfriends and takes my actions too seriously.
You get stopped by security, police and annoy the women you work with. Can you not see what the problem is?

Old 11-21-2018, 09:58 PM

37,409 posts, read 53,584,768 times
I'm not protecting anybody by pretending that somebody who would be well-served to seek help does not need to seek help.

Old 11-21-2018, 10:17 PM

50,826 posts, read 24,335,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PriscillaVanilla View Post
Obstruction of justice. If your employer tells you you'll get fired if you report something illegal to the police, that's obstruction of justice.
I'll have to think about that.

What are the rights of the employer when the employee is dealing with students?

Old 11-21-2018, 10:40 PM

Quote:
I'll have to think about that.

What are the rights of the employer when the employee is dealing with students?
What do you mean by rights? An employer can't threaten a teacher with termination if they file a police report because they were attacked by a co-worker or student. Or say, witnessed drug deals going on in the hallways.

And likewise, a teacher can't threaten a student not to report abuse/sexual abuse/assault, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching