Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2019, 06:06 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,157,110 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan777 View Post
I wasn't thinking of it in terms of preference of one over the other. It was more that the aide had other duties with different students that day as well, and on top of that had the extra work put on his lap.

If she asks me again to sub, I'll just ask her to let the office know in advance that she doesn't want that teacher re-assigned.
Not the way it works.

Quote:
However, if she doesn't ask me, that's okay too. I liked the class at the beginning of the year, but now there is a newer student who is a psychotic sociopath who just bullies other kids in there for his amusement, and purposely doesn't listen to teachers just because he wants them to get upset. I don't play the game or show emotion as that is what he wants, so he hates me even more because I just call an administrator if he doesn't take the one chance I give him to get back on task, and what he wants me to do is fight with him. Still, he gets everyone on edge and why they don't call his parents to come pick him up when he is like that, I don't know, but I don't like having to deal with it.
Most likely because his behavior is tied to his disability. Calls demanding parents pick up EBD students must be made with great care, too many and the school will be in violation of his IEP.

Old 04-02-2019, 10:51 PM

412 posts, read 275,633 times
A couple problems here.

1. The way it works is that other subs there have already told them if they move them again, they are walking out on the job and going to another school in the district. I wouldn't go that far, but other subs have.

2. The flex room is a place where they are supposed to go to get away from the commotion in class and cool off, and many students don't want to go there when this one student is in there, because he thrives off of bullying and manipulating them.

The reason I call for an administrator isn't because I don't wanna deal with him, it's because that's what most schools have told me to do when a student says they aren't gonna do what you say, and there's no way you can make them behave. What he wanted was a battle of words and to get the better of me. What he got was taken out of the room by an administrator, thus he hates me and he essentially gave me power over him, when I did nothing.

Also, if teasing and bullying kids to the point where they are crying in a special needs room, telling the teacher they don't have to listen, and trying to lock them out of the classroom isn't enough to send them home because of an IEP, I suppose that if that student had a knife and was going after people, that having the police remove him would be a violation of his IEP too.

Maybe if you all had students like the one I described, you'd see it differently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2019, 10:21 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
I honestly don't care what you think. I'm a temporary substitute teacher, and you don't know me nor the student I was referencing. However, I'm not sure how you think I'm supposed to handle a student who aggressively bullies and manipulates other students as well as teachers for his own amusement when the school cannot do their duty to have him picked up and removed from campus like they're supposed to when he gets that defiant other than simply ignoring it and calling an administrator to have him removed. The kids in that Flex room go to get away from the frustration of the social anxieties in class, and then they go and get bullied some more.

He was literally coming in yelling in my ear when I was talking to another student about an incident in class who was getting upset about his comments, and then I asked her to not pay attention to him and talk to me, so we had to step out in the hall, and he tries to open the door and yell in her ear in the hallway and then tries putting the wedge from the door to lock us out to be funny all because I wouldn't engage in a fight with him like he wanted me to. Yeah, that's a manipulative, sociopath freak that needs to be expelled.
And you know something...as the temporary substitute you place way too much importance on your status as knowledge base about how schools work or what your role is in schools.

What exactly is your training in working with special education students?

And if you're so qualified, why aren't you a full-time teacher?

Old 04-03-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Students who get that hostile and aggressive should be picked up and removed from school that day. I don't see any reason why they wouldn't, but I'll let you explain that if you so choose, but again you may be wasting your time, and as for whether or not I should be in a classroom, I'll just say that given you have no control over that, that's probably a waste of your time as well to go down that path with me.
Essentially, you're saying that such students should be expelled. Chalk up knowing almost nothing about education law to your qualifications.

Old 04-03-2019, 10:38 AM

Quote:
I wasn't pulled. I was moved to the gym where some students were sent if they weren't taking the standardized
test that day.

Also, it really doesn't matter why that student is considered special needs. If they are horrible person that os intefering with other students getting their needs met, they need to be removed.
Legally...and morally...it matters.

Old 04-05-2019, 10:30 PM

412 posts, read 275,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
And you know something...as the temporary substitute you place way too much importance on your status as knowledge base about how schools work or what your role is in schools.

What exactly is your training in working with special education students?

And if you're so qualified, why aren't you a full-time teacher?

Because I chose another path, but I have taken such courses, and there's really no better inside knowledge than having a similar disorder yourself. I was encouraged to try getting a certificate in special education inclusion, but I'm about to become a programmer that will be making much more money.

The point is, nobody really came up with an alternative way of handling such a situation. I was speaking out of concern for the kids, but other people here are saying those kids should just deal with getting bullied and harassed by this instigator because the law prohibits removing him.

Old 04-06-2019, 10:23 AM

No, that's really not what everyone was saying.

But glad to hear you're getting into a different field. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching