Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2020, 08:01 PM

2,873 posts, read 2,061,038 times

Advertisements

You said she was prideful. Is that an opportunity to appeal to her, to motivate her? Let her know it’s not going to be easy but that she can accomplish it.

I spoke to a high school buddy this weekend. His son barely finished high school and went into the Marines after that. Every class in high school was a battle.

At age 30, he got out and bummed around for a few years. Then, his kid found his niche - he’s in nursing school and just made the dean’s list. The point is, don’t give up. Not this year, not next year, not ever. You never know when or how she’ll figure it out. Keep doing what you’re doing to support and motivate her.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2020, 12:29 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,532,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
If she only had second semester of her senior year to go is it possible that she actually had enough credits to graduate? Did you check that out at the time? A girl in my homeroom dropped out part way through her senior year and still graduated with the class because she had enough credits.

Perhaps there is a way to finish those very few classes on line and get a HS degree that way.
If she was taking a regular class load I bet that she may only have a 1/2 credit each of English, history and science (and maybe math). She probably could finish that fairly quickly.

Good luck to her.
She was in her second semester of her senior year. She only needs one English, one math class, and one elective to graduate. She started out strong on those modules. She was reading, taking notes, and spending hours on the computer. But those tests! That college-level reading comprehension that was required, zapped her zeal. She constantly asked people, how are you doing it!

Old 05-27-2020, 12:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k7baixo View Post
You said she was prideful. Is that an opportunity to appeal to her, to motivate her? Let her know it’s not going to be easy but that she can accomplish it.

I spoke to a high school buddy this weekend. His son barely finished high school and went into the Marines after that. Every class in high school was a battle.

At age 30, he got out and bummed around for a few years. Then, his kid found his niche - he’s in nursing school and just made the dean’s list. The point is, don’t give up. Not this year, not next year, not ever. You never know when or how she’ll figure it out. Keep doing what you’re doing to support and motivate her.
Thank you so much!!

Old 05-27-2020, 09:12 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,321,790 times
Sounds like she needs to study harder.

My guess is that she floated through public school getting the modern equivalent of the "gentleman's C" (which, these days, is probably Bs and As), without ever really studying and bearing down, and now that she's being held to actual academic standards (no social promotion for the GED) she is finding out for the first time that learning academic material is actually hard.

Solution: study harder. Memorize everything. Take all the practice questions. If the homework is a selection of the problems or questions, don't just do the selected problems or answer the selected questions, do all of them. If there's something you really can't understand, look for other text books that may explain it in a different way, or engage a tutor. If it's an online or in-person course and there's an actual instructor, ask questions about anything you don't totally understand.

Old 05-28-2020, 01:54 AM

3,109 posts, read 2,971,505 times
I used to do AIMS Math tutoring in Arizona. The test they had to pass to graduate. The school I was assigned to had about a 15% pass rate on the math portion. They used to warn the students about GED being more difficult. Sounds like she needs a tutor with a test prep company. Start with a practice or diagnostic exam. Look at your state's website for test prep materials. Should be easy enough to determine if it is a reasonable goal for her to pass. Those without a GED are clearly going to struggle.

Old 05-28-2020, 04:14 AM

900 posts, read 685,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hickoryfan View Post
She was in her second semester of her senior year. She only needs one English, one math class, and one elective to graduate. She started out strong on those modules. She was reading, taking notes, and spending hours on the computer. But those tests! That college-level reading comprehension that was required, zapped her zeal. She constantly asked people, how are you doing it!
I would get her transcript and get in contact with online high school completion programs, where she could get credit for all that she has done and take the needed classes to graduate. She may have a learning disability and she could be tested for that and get ADA accommodation if that is the case. (Things like extra time on tests, etc.)

We lived in NY state and my son dropped out of high school in Illinois and came to live with us. There was a GED prep class offered through the adult ed vocational center. That is another option for you. Check to see what there is in your area in the way of a prep class.

But it sounds like the easiest thing would be to do the online high school completion program.

Old 05-28-2020, 04:47 AM

30,525 posts, read 16,217,604 times
does the high school she almost graduated have summer classes?

I'm thinking that would be your starting point. They know her, her classes, and what's left to make the requirements. They also know what's available and can suggest options available locally.

Old 05-28-2020, 05:08 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,674,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoebesmom View Post
I would get her transcript and get in contact with online high school completion programs, where she could get credit for all that she has done and take the needed classes to graduate. She may have a learning disability and she could be tested for that and get ADA accommodation if that is the case. (Things like extra time on tests, etc.)

We lived in NY state and my son dropped out of high school in Illinois and came to live with us. There was a GED prep class offered through the adult ed vocational center. That is another option for you. Check to see what there is in your area in the way of a prep class.

But it sounds like the easiest thing would be to do the online high school completion program.
It depends on the state. Each state has different age limits for students finishing high school with a regular diploma. Since she has so few classes, it sounds like it is worth considering, since it is through age 20 or 21 in a lot of states.

Old 05-28-2020, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
does the high school she almost graduated have summer classes?

I'm thinking that would be your starting point. They know her, her classes, and what's left to make the requirements. They also know what's available and can suggest options available locally.
I don't really know why, but when they were giving us options, she was told she could not come back to the high school and finish. She would have to go the GED route. So, I don't think her high school would welcome her back.

Old 05-28-2020, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoebesmom View Post

Thank you. These are great suggestions!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching