Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2021, 04:33 PM

2,378 posts, read 1,314,951 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruth4Truth View Post
It's not. Some people have to read politics into almost anything these days.

The wording of the question is interesting: "Who is the prime educator..." The type of "education" one receives at home is different from what one receives at school. In some languages, these are termed differently; schooling is referred to as "'education" (i.e. formal education), while what occurs in the home environment is called "upbringing", which in some cultures is regarded as equally important.

Also, the word "educator" is a tip-off, because it's the teacher's profession, supported by formal training and certification. So the question contains a pretty clear hint as to the correct answer. Parents aren't trained to "educate". Teachers are. Parents may instill values, and good habits, like discipline in completing schoolwork, but they don't "educate" unless they have advanced education themselves, and even some of those parents aren't involved in "educating" their kids.
By your analysis, the question could have better been worded “who would be the primary educator for your content area, the teacher or the parent?” Even then, it’s a dumb question that wouldn’t answer the qualities of the candidate. A more thoughtful question would be “what role does a teacher have with a parent in a students education and how can a teacher work with a parent to bring forth the best in the child?”

What do you mean you must require an advanced education to educate? What if you’re self educated? I think you have a narrow view of education. Education comes in many forms.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2021, 05:24 PM

50,798 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyfinestbxtf View Post
I’m not trying to be contentious, but It is a strange question that has zero bearing on a teachers ability and qualifications to educate. Who is the prime educator of a child will always be the parent. A teacher is only with a child for an hour and a half a day with numerous other children in the classroom. Who do you believe is the prime educator of a child?
Depends on the quality of the parent.

Old 03-21-2021, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Why is that question important? I think there are many conservatives in teaching, they are just mostly silent about their political leaning. Maybe that’s why this principal asked this question was to determine her politics. Liberals tend to believe in government having a larger role and responsibility where conservatives do not. It was an either or question. There is no mix answer. If he wasn’t looking to determine politics, he could have asked what is the parent teacher role in a students education, not who is the primary educator of a child.
Your wife is a teacher. This is a good opportunity for her to demonstrate that she believes in life-long learning. And frankly, hubby is not involved in the interview process.

We don't really know what the principal asked, and we don't really know what your wife answered. What we have is second hand information.

Old 03-21-2021, 05:30 PM

Quote:
This is why we don’t send our daughter to public school. Public education is indoctrination, not education. Now they want to teach racist critical race theory? Insane!
I think now I see the problem.

Old 03-21-2021, 05:34 PM

Quote:
And you have made it clear you disagree with my position. I read you loud and clear. You seem to be looking for a fight. I just happen to disagree with you which you seem to be having trouble accepting. It doesn’t take a person who has done numerous interviews to know it was an inappropriate question with an objective to find out a candidates politics. Any sentient being can see the forest through the trees on this principal’s objective. What bearing does that question have on a educators ability to educate? It’s an irrelevant question to education. If this principal wanted a real answer, he could of asked “what role does a teacher and parent have in a student’s education and how can a teacher involve the parent of the child who is falling behind to get the best out of the child?” The question being phrased that way is not loaded and you will learn a lot about a teachers method. I’m just a retired cop who has never interviewed anyone for a position, but I have interviewed many people in my custody and know how to get a real honest relevant answer and it is never from loaded questions.
I will point out once again that none of us knows what the question actually was, or what your wife actually answered.

Old 03-21-2021, 05:34 PM

9,434 posts, read 4,252,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I think now I see the problem.
Bingo.

Old 03-21-2021, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by history nerd View Post
That seems like an incredible assumption to me. Personally I wouldn't perceive that question as having anything to do with the scope or role of government. I would probably say that parents are the primary educator... And I'm no Republican.

I think those philosophical questions get asked a lot. The answer doesn't really matter so much as the justification. For example our department always asks "what is more important rigor, relevance, or relationships?" In order to gain some insight on an applicants general philosophy of teaching.

It reads to me that you are looking to find political persecution in places where it doesn't actually exist.
Speak of incredible assumptions. It doesn’t really matter to me. My wife accepted a position elsewhere. Bring awareness to questions being asked of candidates in the education system.

You may not perceive that question as political, but I disagree. I see no other relevance in that question. It’s a yes no either or question. You either believe the teacher is the primary educator or the parent.

Old 03-21-2021, 06:17 PM

Quote:
I will point out once again that none of us knows what the question actually was, or what your wife actually answered.
I told the question verbatim and my wife answered the parent is the primary educator of a child. She stated “this is a loaded question” and continued to explain that a teacher is only with a child for a block a day and education continues when the child gets home. A parent has the more powerful influence how well a child does in school and that a teacher can only do so much. The parent is the primary educator. This is true. This is a fact.

Old 03-21-2021, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Depends on the quality of the parent.
It does. The principal didn’t ask that. He didn’t give a scenario.

Old 03-21-2021, 06:19 PM

Quote:
I already said what the question was and how she answered it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching