Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2022, 12:10 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times

Advertisements

Hi CD Friends.

A relative teaches in English in a Montessori bi-lingual preschool/kindergarten in France. Next year the yearly focus will be on the continent of North America (and to a lesser degree Central America). She has asked me to find a few story books for 3 to 6 years olds, in English, to read to her students that relate to life in Canada, Mexico, and the United States.

Some thing like (made up books) "Niimi's Sled Dog" or "We Love Snow" or "Fun on Canada Day" based in Canada.

"Jose Goes to the Open Air Market" or "Maria Cooks with Grandma" or "Luis and Juan Help a Friend" or "Day of the Dead" that mentions living in Mexico someplace in the book.

As a teacher, I used to be able to name dozens of books that could be used for children in the USA, but since I have been retired for many years my mind is blank. I'm looking for books such as "Joe and Emma Play Baseball" that somehow shows or indicates that they live in the US (maybe it mentions the name of a city and shows something about that city in the background). Maybe something like "John and the Barn Cat" (which mentions that he lives on a dairy farm in Wisconsin). Or, "I Love Living in the Big City" and shows and/or mentions things from a clearly American city, such as the Statue of Liberty or the Golden Gate Bridge. Or, "We Celebrate Presidents Day".

Please help. Someone is visiting my relative in March and is able to take a bunch of books in her suitcase, so I would need to check out the books and buy them soon.

Just list the book title (and preferably the author, too) so I can read the book for myself before I buy it. The cost of books for a classroom library add up very quickly, especially since there are not any libraries where she can check out children's books in English and she doesn't have access to children's book clubs. The school does not reimburse her for any books that she uses in her lessons and expects different books for every theme, as well as "classic" children's books in English.

Unfortunately, the children's librarian at my local library is very new and was not very helpful at all. And, because of covid I can't visit my neighborhood schools to ask school librarians for suggestions. So, all of you preschool and kindergarten (or first grade) teachers or parents please assist me. Thank you, very, very much.

Last edited by germaine2626; 01-07-2022 at 12:18 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2022, 02:52 PM

9,136 posts, read 6,191,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
Hi CD Friends.

A relative teaches in English in a Montessori bi-lingual preschool/kindergarten in France. Next year the yearly focus will be on the continent of North America (and to a lesser degree Central America). She has asked me to find a few story books for 3 to 6 years olds, in English, to read to her students that relate to life in Canada, Mexico, and the United States.

Some thing like (made up books) "Niimi's Sled Dog" or "We Love Snow" or "Fun on Canada Day" based in Canada.

"Jose Goes to the Open Air Market" or "Maria Cooks with Grandma" or "Luis and Juan Help a Friend" or "Day of the Dead" that mentions living in Mexico someplace in the book.

As a teacher, I used to be able to name dozens of books that could be used for children in the USA, but since I have been retired for many years my mind is blank. I'm looking for books such as "Joe and Emma Play Baseball" that somehow shows or indicates that they live in the US (maybe it mentions the name of a city and shows something about that city in the background). Maybe something like "John and the Barn Cat" (which mentions that he lives on a dairy farm in Wisconsin). Or, "I Love Living in the Big City" and shows and/or mentions things from a clearly American city, such as the Statue of Liberty or the Golden Gate Bridge. Or, "We Celebrate Presidents Day".

Please help. Someone is visiting my relative in March and is able to take a bunch of books in her suitcase, so I would need to check out the books and buy them soon.

Just list the book title (and preferably the author, too) so I can read the book for myself before I buy it. The cost of books for a classroom library add up very quickly, especially since there are not any libraries where she can check out children's books in English and she doesn't have access to children's book clubs. The school does not reimburse her for any books that she uses in her lessons and expects different books for every theme, as well as "classic" children's books in English.

Unfortunately, the children's librarian at my local library is very new and was not very helpful at all. And, because of covid I can't visit my neighborhood schools to ask school librarians for suggestions. So, all of you preschool and kindergarten (or first grade) teachers or parents please assist me. Thank you, very, very much.
I like the book about Dolly Parton that describes her life, rise to fame and fortune, and her ongoing commitment to improving the lives of people everywhere, but especially in her hometown. That captures the American spirit with a real example. https://littlepeoplebigdreams.com/book/dolly-parton/

And of course, the Little House on the Prairie series by Laura Ingalls Wilder is always popular.
https://www.littlehousebooks.com/books

Old 01-07-2022, 03:36 PM

14,316 posts, read 11,708,830 times
I gather that you are looking for simple picture books, not chapter books. I would think "Little House on the Prairie" et al. would be too complex for such young English learners. However, there are some very nice simplified picture books based on Wilder's work. They are called "My First Little House" and my kids liked them at age 3-4. Here's one, and you can find others from there:

https://www.amazon.com/Winter-Woods-...s%2C160&sr=8-1

Or maybe you are only looking for stories about contemporary life?

I don't believe "The Snowy Day" mentions New York City by name, but it was set there.

https://www.amazon.com/Snowy-Day-Ezr...s%2C193&sr=8-3

Of course there are "Blueberries for Sal" and "One Morning in Maine," both by Robert McCloskey and set in Maine.

https://www.amazon.com/Blueberries-S...s%2C157&sr=8-1

I will add more if I think of them. It's been quite a while for me too, since I had little ones.

Old 01-07-2022, 04:17 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,159,022 times
Thank you, Lillie and saibot. Those are great suggestions and I will check them out.

I love the series, Little People, Big Dreams. I have given a few as gifts.

Keep those suggestions coming!

Old 01-08-2022, 01:19 AM

30,531 posts, read 16,226,596 times
If you can't reach out to local teachers/librarians face to face, how about phones, texts, emails?

wouldn't it be great to have kids write some books about their daily lives-guess not with covid.

Old 01-08-2022, 01:25 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
My staple for younger kids is:
https://www.berenstainbears.com/

I know lots of families who enjoy these:
The Official Website of Hank the Cowdog

There are also many great audio drama youth programs / stories portraying 'kid's life' in USA.

Slightly older age (elementary readers)
Good book series by Ralph Moody; Little Britches, Man of the Family, Home Ranch, + later series... Mary Emma & Company and The Fields of Home

Old 01-08-2022, 01:28 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,724 posts, read 58,067,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAhippo View Post
wouldn't it be great to have kids write some books about their daily lives-guess not with covid.
Actually, I've really enjoyed the richness of kid's writing (and science) about covid and their experiences, and even their (Very practical) solutions for covid and education during covid.

Too bad educators (in USA) are not listening to, equipping, and encouraging the kids.

There are some terrific presentations and writings from students published recently. Our neighbor kids and my co-worker's kids are always coming up with very interesting learnings. They are doing great, not being burdened with classroom, peer, or teacher pressures.

Old 01-08-2022, 05:49 AM

30,531 posts, read 16,226,596 times
but the problem is getting them published and overseas.

I've often thought who better to write kids books than kids. What the think-they-know-it-all adults could learn.

Old 01-08-2022, 06:21 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,944,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I gather that you are looking for simple picture books, not chapter books. I would think "Little House on the Prairie" et al. would be too complex for such young English learners. However, there are some very nice simplified picture books based on Wilder's work. They are called "My First Little House" and my kids liked them at age 3-4. Here's one, and you can find others from there:

https://www.amazon.com/Winter-Woods-...s%2C160&sr=8-1

Or maybe you are only looking for stories about contemporary life?

I don't believe "The Snowy Day" mentions New York City by name, but it was set there.

https://www.amazon.com/Snowy-Day-Ezr...s%2C193&sr=8-3

Of course there are "Blueberries for Sal" and "One Morning in Maine," both by Robert McCloskey and set in Maine.

https://www.amazon.com/Blueberries-S...s%2C157&sr=8-1

I will add more if I think of them. It's been quite a while for me too, since I had little ones.
I love Blueberries for Sal! Also, The Little Island is a beautiful picture book with a captivating story for little kids, also set in Maine.

How about Alabama Spitfire: The Story of Harper Lee and To Kill A Mockingbird?

And here's one that I can't remember the specific place, other than snowy woods, but maybe it mentions some place: The Tea Party In The Woods.

Old 01-08-2022, 07:33 AM

12,848 posts, read 9,060,155 times
Might be just a tad bit old for K-1st but my favorites when I was a kid and shared with my kids were:

The Henry Reed series, Keith Robertson (Henry Reed Inc, Henry Reed's Journey, Henry Reed's Babysitting Service, Henry Reed's Big Show, and Henry Reed's Think Tank). Not only did I love those as a kid, but in many ways matched my growing up. Henry Reed's Journey is about a vacation trip across the country to fit with your theme.

Another I loved perfect for K-1st is Chippy Chipmunk's Vacation if you can find it. It fits perfect with the theme you're talking about since it describes his trip round the American west.

Several folks have already mentioned Berenstein Bears and Little House.

Some others I'll include that often get overlooked because they are science based are kid's Sci-Fi books. Might be just a bit beyond K-1st but the early books by Robert Heinlein like Rocket Ship Galieo, Space Cadet (amazing what he predicted in this book like cell phone and a space force academy headquartered in Colorado Springs.), and Have Spacesuit Will Travel. These are great intros to good Sci-Fi adventure. If you can grab kid's interest early with good Sci-Fi, they'll move on to harder books quickly. This encourages them both to read harder books and to have an interest in science and mathmatics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching