Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2009, 11:38 AM

11 posts, read 116,181 times

Advertisements

I am a current graduate student getting my Masters in Education and Secondary teaching credential in History/Social Studies. Since I am graduating in June 2009, I have been looking for teaching positions, but because of the current state of the economy, many districts I am looking at have hiring freezes.

So, what states, cities, and districts have a need for teachers and are hiring for the upcoming school year?

I plan on moving back to the West Coast when I graduate, so I am especially interested in high school teaching positions in California, Nevada, Arizona, and Hawaii, but I am open to any place I might be needed : )

Any help would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2009, 03:42 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,511,274 times
Most inner cities have a hard time filling all their positions. Check out the certification requirements carefully for each state. Getting certified is expensive and without certification, your chances are much less of getting hired, but you probably know that.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-10-2009, 06:57 PM

603 posts, read 2,339,303 times
Check school district websites in the spring. Most districts renew non-tenure contracts in March, and there are usually teachers who don't get contracts renewed or opt to leave. I would get my applications into districts by late March or April. Many districts will have a job fair. That's how I got the job I currently have. When I first graduated years ago, South Carolina had a teacher fair for the entire state. I would decide on the state you want to live in and apply for your state license now. It's much easier to get hired when you already have your license. You can get a job without it, but you would be hired on an emergency certificate (and people with a license in hand could be hired ahead of you).

Old 01-10-2009, 10:47 PM
emh

298 posts, read 851,735 times
Hawaii generally needs teachers. However, the reason, as I understand it, is that the schools are really bad. And pay is low relative to cost of living.

California has a reputation as being a difficult state to transfer into. I think this is because of the high percentage of 2nd langauge learners in California. They want teachers who know how to assist such students.

Don't know anything about Arizona or Nevada.

Oh, you might also want to check out a site called A to Z Teacher Forums. They generally have posters who can give you the scope on local hiring situations.

Old 01-11-2009, 06:05 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,511,274 times
emh, I just checked out the A-Z teachers forum - great suggestion. Here's the link: Job Seekers - A to Z Teacher Stuff Forums

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-11-2009, 07:26 PM
emh

298 posts, read 851,735 times
Oh, I just remembered that California has an integrated system for all of their school openings:

Welcome to EDJOIN!

Old 01-11-2009, 07:50 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,830,538 times
And many other states use EdZapp.

Old 01-12-2009, 02:12 PM

11 posts, read 116,181 times
Thanks for the help everyone!

Old 01-12-2009, 02:16 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,738,199 times
The only teachers who are needed in most, if not all, school districts are special education teachers and math and science, especially at the secondary high level. There is an overabundance of elementary, English, social studies teachers.

Old 01-12-2009, 04:10 PM

45,337 posts, read 60,512,994 times
Also needed generally are foreign language teachers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching