Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-18-2010, 10:09 PM

125 posts, read 1,039,108 times

Advertisements

I've checked many of the job boards including California main source for education careers EDJOIN.ORG and I see TONS of positions available (1000+ in socal), but everyone is saying that it is heard to find a job and there is significant layoffs.

Can someone please help me understand this?
example:
There is a posting for a K-5 Classroom Teacher Posted: 4/16/2010 for Hermosa Beach City Elementary, Hermosa Beach, CA with a salary range: $43,580 to $73,767 annually

Wouldnt a position like this be filled in a new york minute. Why so many job postings............am i missing something? (fyi....hermosa beach very nice area to teach)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2010, 11:40 PM

1,619 posts, read 2,042,327 times
It is an awesome area and I am just as confounded as you. I hear about sped teachers being needed all over, yet friends in CA tell me daily how their co-workers are being pink slipped ...and this is veteran teaching pool members!

I have one more year to finish with my current district, but then plan to go to SD or LA. I would think a job like that would not exist since the waiting list would be lonnnnng. I am worried and people tell me sped positions will never go away with my certifications and degrees, but I still worry. Seeing things like this make me worry more. Certainly there must be plenty of people already there, no? Hey, if you find out let me know!

Old 04-19-2010, 03:51 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
The problem is the number of teachers applying for those jobs.

Old 04-19-2010, 07:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
The problem is the number of teachers applying for those jobs.
If that is the case then wouldn't there be no postings at all after awhile? If you had an opening like the one above it should take at most a week to fill the spot.

Things are just not adding up............any HR insiders know?

Old 04-19-2010, 08:44 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
Also it's common for public sector jobs to be legally required to publicly posted for a certain amount of time, even if they've already got someone they want to hire for the position.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:58 AM

400 posts, read 849,632 times
As beachmouse said, around here they will advertise for public jobs even when they have no intention whatsoever of hiring some one other than the current person.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:52 PM

1,000 posts, read 2,351,437 times
Exactly, just because they're posted doesn't mean that they'll go to a new hire. In PA, all teachers have the opportunity to bid into any/all openings before districts can start interviewing new candidates. A lot of those positions will already be filled by current teachers, subs/tutors/grant workers/etc that the district has in mind, teachers from outside districts, positions being eliminated due to budget cuts, etc. Posting is just a formality, it's tough as b@lls to land a teaching position...don't let anybody fool you into thinking that it's easy, apply everywhere and be sure to send out individual letters of intent to each district or principal if the district practices on-site hiring. Not to discourage you from trying, but odds are that if it's that nice of a job...the line to get in has already formed and probably trails down toward the Baja Peninsula at the moment.

Old 04-19-2010, 12:57 PM

ahhh............the pieces are coming together. Informative...thanks.

Old 04-19-2010, 08:54 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,519,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TelecasterBlues View Post
Exactly, just because they're posted doesn't mean that they'll go to a new hire. In PA, all teachers have the opportunity to bid into any/all openings before districts can start interviewing new candidates. A lot of those positions will already be filled by current teachers, subs/tutors/grant workers/etc that the district has in mind, teachers from outside districts, positions being eliminated due to budget cuts, etc. Posting is just a formality, it's tough as b@lls to land a teaching position...don't let anybody fool you into thinking that it's easy, apply everywhere and be sure to send out individual letters of intent to each district or principal if the district practices on-site hiring. Not to discourage you from trying, but odds are that if it's that nice of a job...the line to get in has already formed and probably trails down toward the Baja Peninsula at the moment.
Exactly, it has to be posted, doesn't mean they don't already have a candidate.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-20-2010, 05:24 AM

37,409 posts, read 53,563,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
Also it's common for public sector jobs to be legally required to publicly posted for a certain amount of time, even if they've already got someone they want to hire for the position.
Definitely...I confirmed this when I was in journalism, and covering ed/school boards beats. Just because a job is posted, as it is often legally required to be, doesn't mean that it isn't already filled, off the record. My dad was a school board member for over two decades, many of them spent as president, and he waged a usually one-man fight against this type of charade within his district, but few backed him up...lots of people promising out jobs, lots of done deals.

It's really not that different than in the private sector, where jobs are promised out all the time. It's just that because of public funding, there are requirements set up to ostensibly keep the hiring practices fair, but just like in the private sector, much wheeling and dealing is done behind closed doors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Education > Teaching