Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2010, 08:45 AM

4,923 posts, read 11,185,071 times

Advertisements

Hunted and fished in Tennessee since the '70s. The fear of snakes haven't ever kept me from doing it. Just pay attention to where you're stepping, just like you would any where.

The only time in the wild I've been bit was in Washington state...and once in a college animal biology lab. Never in the woods of TN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2010, 07:55 PM

5,064 posts, read 5,726,318 times
I might consider somehwere in NW Tn. Reelfoot Lake is one of the best hunting/fishing lakes in the country. I'm not a huge fan. I prefer my to ski and tube on lakes, and you can't do that on Reelfoot. Too many tree stumps. But people come from other parts of the country to hunt and fish on Reelfoot.
TN State Parks: Reelfoot Lake State Park

Dyersburg is close to Reelfoot. They have a small mall, and some cute boutiques. I feel confident that you could find a crafting group there, probably associate with a church or senior center.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:04 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,994,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by houndmomma View Post
My husband and I are looking to retire within the next couple years and so far Tennessee looks to offer the most. It’s now time to get down and dirty in finding the right place. He is big into fishing, hunting and gardening and wants to be in a remote area (and if possible like to hunt on our own land as we do in WI), where I enjoy the company of people and am heavy into crafts and really don’t want to have to pack a lunch to get to a store. He’s had his sights set to northern Wisconsin but the weather is just too bad and taxes are too high. Religion is not a make it or break it – that said, since we’ll have more time I’m sure I’ll visit a church more than I do now. Being close to hospitals would be important since this would be our last home and it would be comforting to know we had good medical care available within a reasonable distance.

We also both enjoy going out to dinner and to concerts and who know what else since we’ll have more time on our hands.

Could you please help by directing me to areas that we should start looking for houses and equally important areas that we should stay clear of? Lake front would be a definite plus but it’s not necessary the most important.

Thanks in advance for any/all help you can give,
Jennifer
When you look for medical care don't just check out hospitals. Make sure you can find a doctor, too. When you find a place you like, call around and find out if doctors near you are taking new patients.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee