Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 06:38 PM

38 posts, read 122,207 times

Advertisements

Hi there,
I'm planning my drive from NY to Texas and the Jackson, TN area looks like a good spot for us to stop for the second night and I was wondering if someone could give me a little info about the area. We're planning on going to Graceland the following day for a couple of hours and so Jackson looked like a good spot... I first thought Memphis but heard it wasn't a good idea for 2 women driving cross crounty to stay overnight. So how's Jackson?

My mom and I will be driving across 40 W and are looking for a good safe place to get some dinner and sleep overnight. I don't mind spending a little extra on a hotel for a good nights sleep and piece of mind. Safety is my main concern. Do you think Jackson is a good place to stop for the night? Any suggestions on hotels and restaurants close to the highway? I'm usually a Marriott person and see there is a Marriot right off the highway so was thinking about staying there.
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!! :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 08:14 PM

1,599 posts, read 3,116,449 times
Are you going to be armed?

Old 08-23-2008, 08:52 PM

115 posts, read 319,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marisa7 View Post
Hi there,
I'm planning my drive from NY to Texas and the Jackson, TN area looks like a good spot for us to stop for the second night and I was wondering if someone could give me a little info about the area. We're planning on going to Graceland the following day for a couple of hours and so Jackson looked like a good spot... I first thought Memphis but heard it wasn't a good idea for 2 women driving cross crounty to stay overnight. So how's Jackson?

My mom and I will be driving across 40 W and are looking for a good safe place to get some dinner and sleep overnight. I don't mind spending a little extra on a hotel for a good nights sleep and piece of mind. Safety is my main concern. Do you think Jackson is a good place to stop for the night? Any suggestions on hotels and restaurants close to the highway? I'm usually a Marriott person and see there is a Marriot right off the highway so was thinking about staying there.
Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!!! :-)
I would not stay in Jackson, TN. I would recommend Millington, TN instead. It is about 15 miles North of Memphis. It has a variety of hotels and is A LOT safer than Jackson. You can compare the two cities on City-Data. Here a website that you can check out for a listing of hotels in the area.
millington tn hotels - Google Search
Good luck and be careful.

Old 08-23-2008, 11:08 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,978,530 times
If you stay at a well lit hotel not far from I-40 you gals should be fine. Things can happen, almost anywhere, but the chances of something happening to you in that short of time would be slim.

You might could stay somewhere near the 45-Bypass and you would be close to a number of restaurants.

Old 08-24-2008, 06:02 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,999,373 times
Jeez...you guys make Jackson sound like Baghdad or something! I'm quite sure there are a LOT of places between NY and TX that are a LOT worse than Jackson....

Old 08-24-2008, 06:34 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCartpath View Post
Jeez...you guys make Jackson sound like Baghdad or something! I'm quite sure there are a LOT of places between NY and TX that are a LOT worse than Jackson....
Seriously, I've stayed in Jackson several times and have never thought twice about it. I wouldn't venture too far off I-40, though. But the places I've stayed at along I-40 have always been clean, comfortable and safe. And for the record, I'm a cheapskate and always stay at the el cheapo motels.

Old 08-24-2008, 07:25 PM

1,292 posts, read 4,999,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
And for the record, I'm a cheapskate and always stay at the el cheapo motels.
I can vouch for that! I stayed at the Alpine Lodge last night on your recommendation Seriously, it wasn't bad at all. Old, but clean...and the people there were very nice. The price was good. The view from the balcony in the morning is pretty nice too

Old 08-24-2008, 09:28 PM

1,715 posts, read 6,978,530 times
I just left my hometown of Jackson intact!

Old 08-24-2008, 09:58 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,938,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCartpath View Post
I can vouch for that! I stayed at the Alpine Lodge last night on your recommendation Seriously, it wasn't bad at all. Old, but clean...and the people there were very nice. The price was good. The view from the balcony in the morning is pretty nice too
Yeah whenever I stay at the Alpine it's like walking into a Brady Bunch set. But hey at least it's clean, inexpensive, and the staff is super friendly. And you're right about the view from the hotel. It's too bad johnbain didn't see it when he said there were no good views in Cookeville:

Old 08-25-2008, 07:18 AM

105 posts, read 521,152 times
Jackson will be fine. The Marriott should be perfectly safe and they have a DoubleTree on 45 bypass that is a great place also.

And I wouldn't think twice about staying in Memphis as long as I was in a good area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee